Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help! which vehicle for me?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I want to buy a new vehicle with which i can tow my horsebox (and horse:p!) its an ifor williams mare and foal box (unsure what weight but fairly light as boxes go) and the mare is a big mare, at least 600kg i would guess. But towing the box will only make up an extremely small proportion of my overall driving, as i would only be going to a few local shoes and bringing her to a local forest to hack occasionally. I do alot of long distance driving. I also surf and tend to 'live out of my car' so good space for gear, and hay and water is essential, and also reliability. I also would like if the vehicle was not too manish:rolleyes:!!! I currently own a 03 toyota corolla, which im not overly gone on, and previously I had a toyota starlet which was a fantastic car. Both have been very reliable so ppl have suggested the toyota rav.. im not sure they would be much good for towing tho.
    Also what difference does it make whether i go diesel or petrol other that the price of each? and is there a certain engine size i shouldnt go beneath if i intend to tow the above?
    Sorry these are probably stupid questions but im clueless when it comes to cars:o!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭needadvice

Hi bada-bing. I'd buy a vw passat 1.9tdi you'd get great value in this market but not on your trade I suppose.

Huge boot great driving comfort 55 to 60 miles to the gallon and would do your towing.

That or buy a jeep I drive a land cruiser you'd buy an older one for next to nothing but expensive to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I'd also recommend a jeep, land cruiser or pajero if you can stretch to it, go for the long wheel base - more room on top and inside, especially if you surf. I drive a 05 Long wheel base Pajero sport and i love it!!! its also a commerical, cheaper to insure and tax than a passenger (it 2.5ltr). I had a 01 pajero sports (lwb) for 3 years up until i changed it in march this year for the 05 model. In comparison to the other pajeros and the land cruisers, there is a huge difference in the prices - i'd love a land cruiser but they are too expensive for my wallet. In any case, you can't really go wrong with a toyota or mitsubishi of any sort, they are a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Brian_Uckfast

I wouldnt recomend a big manly jeep anyway!!! :p

I wouldnt recomend a big manly jeep anyway!!! :p

there's no such thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

yeah someone else suggested the pajero but they said go for the SWB as the long one is less powerful when it comes to towing? what you think? Might go test drive one and see what I think tho, thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement

Dunno how the lwb could be less powerful than swb..I pull a hb510 box with 2 horses in it no bother with my lwb?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

A long wheel base is more stable for towing, so thats whats normally recommended.

However they tend to have a huge turning circle and it is more difficult to manoever and reverse with them. So if you need to manoever in tight spaces a lot the swb might be better. There should be negligible difference in power between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 easylistener

How about a Ford Ranger or equivalent can do the towing has five seats and can carry the surf gear no problem. They come under as commercial, I have had mine for the last year and has been great one minute deliveries next family car.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It depends on what you want. I think both swb and lwb tow pretty well, though obviously the bigger the engine the more power you have when towing. I have a 2.0 Vitara and it tows pretty well, though I know the Ford Maverick (or Nissan Terrano (same jeep, essentially)) tows heavier loads better than the vitara as it has a bigger engine.

You also need to take into account how much off-road towing you'd be doing, as well as looking at whether or not you'll be using the jeep as an everyday car too, and if you'll be doing much city driving. LWBs can be a little harder to park, manoeuvre, etc. that SWBs. If, as you say, you plan to do a lot of 'normal' driving with the vehicle, then a SWB would probably be better suited for you. There's not a huge amount of difference between the SWB and LWB, especially if you buy anything above a 2.0L engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Something with 4wd is always good for towing, doesn't have to be a big jeep though. Audi Quattero or some type of Volvo

What kind of budget were you thinking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

I drive a pajero swb automatic and find it very good towing a 510 trailer with 2 large horses

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

I use a 2 litre Suzuki Grand Vitara to tow one horse and have found it great. It doesn't have the power to tow two horses up a hill but that's fine by me. It allows you change between 2 wheel, 4 wheel and 4 wheel low ratio which is invaluable towing out of a muddy field and by leaving it in 2 wheel most of the time it is pretty fuel efficient and a comfortable car to drive around in without feeling like you are driving a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

thanks for all the replies. the ones that im getting recommended the most for my needs (alot of long distance driving, and towing one horse periopically, as well as carrying plent of gear!) seem to be the pajero, any toyota, the grand vitara or even a kia sorento. my budget is 10,000 max, although im not having any luck selling my car as of yet. might try test drive a few over the christmas and see what i think. ill def go for SWB if im getting a commercial tho, or id never manage to park it!!! the sufr board can go on the roof :D

Advertisement