Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux boot CD

• 06-12-2008 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I have to do an assignment on linux scripting, nothing major just filesystem stuff, I don't know anything about linux so I don't want to overright my windows os or anything like that, are there any good Linux boot CD's where you get basically a whole OS but it boots off CD, I would need to be able to access my hardrive for file i/o stuff as well

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Tony H

ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

that should do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

All of the major distros do live CDs which runs the OS off the CD. Your hard disk is untouched but accessible to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭dioltas

You could try knoppix.
    Alot of distros allow booting from a usb key, such as puppy linux or damn small linux. That way you could save your progress on the key.

Another option is to install a distro in a VM - http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

could consider cygwin too www.cygwin.com
    its a shell that you install onto windows and it will give you a *nix interface - with all the programs etc.

or could looking getting a shell account online somewhere - but dont have access to your files as easily as the other methods here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Macros42 wrote: »
    Another option is to install a distro in a VM - http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

yea great idea, I'm going to do this, whats the best distribution to use do you think ?

how long is a piece of string :D

It really depends on what you want to use it for. If it's just for basic filesystem/bash scripting then any will do. I'd check what's in use in your college and use that just in case there's any compatibility issue. It's most likely Ubuntu or Fedora being used so one of them will do just fine.

cool I'm going to go with ubuntu so, fingers crossed there good stuff on bash scripting online :)

good stuff, managed to pretty much finish it, could do with a bit of spit and shine but have time for that, anyway I have a working version in my virtual Ubuntu, what would be the best way to get that to my home directory, I have no idea, I mailed it to myself so I have access to it in windows too but the formatting is all over the place - looks fine in ubuntu but a mess in windows, I can putty into my home directory from windows but I'm not sure if that would be any use - could I copy and paste from windows into Vi in a putty session, I'll look into it tomorrow but if anyone has any good ideas I'm all ears,
    If I have to manually type it into vi I can imagine reams of typo's

• Advertisement

well I ended up typing it up in Vi one missed ` caused me 30 mins troubleshooting but it wasn't as bad as I would have thought,

Anyway are there any good guides for writing the batch file header to make it look good you know like

########################
    # script to do whatever #
    # version : #
    # author : #
    # #
    ########################

Advertisement