Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Milky residue

Options
  • 06-12-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi guys just checked my oil cap and there's a milky substance on the cap can you tell me what the problem might be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

best case - condensation build-up from lots of short trips
    worst case - head gasket on the way out

Check coolant level

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Water getting into the oil somewhere.

Likely culprit is head gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

what car?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

opel corsa 1.0l, just as you mention coolant level i noticed that my coolant level was low the other day could the coolant be getting into the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

richfly wrote: »
    opel corsa 1.0l, just as you mention coolant level i noticed that my coolant level was low the other day could the coolant be getting into the oil.

looks likely.
    Top up the coolant, clean the milky stuff away and monitor carefully

• Advertisement

If this is the problem what needs to be do? is it serious? and does it cost much to get fixed?

If the coolant loss is related to the residue, it could be your head gasket which is a serious enough problem. If it's not related it's just from condensation, which is normal if you're doing a lot of short trips as cyborg said.

and how much does it cost to fix head gasket?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I didn't know what i was getting into when i opened this thread lol:P

But seriously, if a head goes, depending who does it, it can cost upwards of 700. Maybe more, maybe less. What year is the Corsa?

It's only got 3 cylinders so it wouldn't cost that much surely? It's still not definite that's the problem anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I didn't know what i was getting into when i opened this thread lol:P

But seriously, if a head goes, depending who does it, it can cost upwards of 700. Maybe more, maybe less. What year is the Corsa?

Its not the head itself they are talking about. Its the head gasket and it wouldnt really cost that much at a good independant. Specially on a little petrol corsa

mickdw wrote: »
    Its not the head itself they are talking about. Its the head gasket and it wouldnt really cost that much at a good independant. Specially on a little petrol corsa

Sorry i generally shorten head gasket to head (too used to talking about them going :P). On a smaller Corsa it might not cost as much. But i did say upwards of 700:P

But i did say upwards of 700:P
    Sorry to go all grammar nazi on you but "upwards of" means "more than" ;)

Sorry to go all grammar nazi on you but "upwards of" means "more than" ;)

Ah so it does......

Dual at dawn to sort it out?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hi guys just checked my oil cap and there's a milky substance on the cap can you tell me what the problem might be.

I find a good hot shower afterwards gets rid of any milky residue left on my oil cap:eek:

I find a good hot shower afterwards gets rid of any milky residue left on my oil cap:eek:

Now, now. Think of the children:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

From what I know, that usually means the engine has been overheated.

Alrite lads, topped up my coolant saturday and cleaned the milky residue from my oil cap checked this morning my coolant level is a bit low and there's a small bit of residue on the oil cap can anyone tell me what the problem is and what i need to do to fix it. Thanks.

p.s This morning i could hear a trickle of water sound coming from the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

If your coolant is dropping quickly, you could have a leak in it somewhere. Engine temperature high or what? It could also just be the level settling.

Hearing liquid water isn't usually a problem... might just be the engine ticking as it cools down. I know the Laguna out front can sound a bit like that when it wants to. It's had me checking under it for leaks. Did you hear this after you ran the engine?

Are there any visible signs of coolant leaking, like a stain on the block somewhere?

Take the dipstick out and take a look at it. Is there any evidence of that creamy stuff on it, or does the oil look healthy (The colour of good tea)? If it's green/black or has any sign of metal in it, get to a garage.

Finally, if in doubt ask a mechanic.

I hear the trickle sound when i drive along going from 1st gear to 2nd gear dont really hear it after that.

Small bit of creamy stuff when i take the dipstick out.

No signs of a leak anywhere.

• Advertisement

If it's on the dipstick it's probably the head gasket. You should get it checked out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

If there is milky stuff (like a mayo) around oil cap and on the dipstick, the chances are its the head gasket.
    You will definitely need to pay around 400 to 600 hundred euro to get it fixed, depending on the garage.
    They ll have to take the head of skim it, replace the gaskets, new oil, oil filter, new coolant and possibly (it s recommended) replace water pump and timing belt, so the cost of the repair can be quite expensive unfortunately :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Bobo78 wrote: »
    If there is milky stuff (like a mayo) around oil cap and on the dipstick, the chances are its the head gasket.
    You will definitely need to pay around 400 to 600 hundred euro to get it fixed, depending on the garage.
    They ll have to take the head of skim it, replace the gaskets, new oil, oil filter, new coolant and possibly (it s recommended) replace water pump and timing belt, so the cost of the repair can be quite expensive unfortunately :(:(

depending on the year ofcourse, if its the pre 98 3 cyl 1 liter, newerish lump from traynors landed is cheaper then actually doing the gasket, most indie's should be able to fit it for next to nothjing, just a case of getting rid or keeping the old lump for spares. :rolleyes:

Its a 1999 opel corsa 1lt might it be cheaper than standard?
    How long does it take to replace a head gasket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

It's only got 3 cylinders so it wouldn't cost that much surely? It's still not definite that's the problem anyway

Why would the no. of cylinders on an in line engine make a difference to the cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Its a 1999 opel corsa 1lt might it be cheaper than standard?
    How long does it take to replace a head gasket?

I m not really sure but i think it would take around 4 to 5 hours depending of the car.

Advertisement