Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone ever detuned a car for VRT/tax reasons?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Thinking of bringing in a Alfa 156 GTA and i was thinking about the possibility of having it hugely detuned and getting a certificate saying what its new Co2 is so i could get it in cheaper and avoid paying €2,000 a year road tax. Obviously as soon as i have the certificate i would tune it right back up to its original power. Paying the 36% VRT doesnt bother me, its the 2k a year road tax i dont want to fork out thanks to that cun...John Gormless

Only question is would this even be worth doing and would it actually work? The car has a co2 rating of 297g/km which is well over the 225g limit and whats the most you would even be able to get the car down by?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

a certificate from whom? rubbish idea, the revenue aren't going to fall for people trying things like this even if it was possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

copacetic wrote: »
    a certificate from whom? rubbish idea, the revenue aren't going to fall for people trying things like this even if it was possible.

go to the VRT calculator site and it gives you the option of entering an alternative co2 figure from an authorised source for which you require verification. Why wouldnt they "fall for it", if you can get this evidence of lower co2 its not as if they have any other way of checking once you bring the car to be registered.

samsemtex wrote: »
    go to the VRT calculator site and it gives you the option of entering an alternative co2 figure from an authorised source for which you require verification. Why wouldnt they "fall for it", if you can get this evidence of lower co2 its not as if they have any other way of checking once you bring the car to be registered.

thats for cars that don't have a manufacturers rating. Again, where is this revenue authorised co2 rating testing centre and how much exactly do you think 'detuning' the engine is going to save in Co2?

thats for cars that don't have a manufacturers rating. Again, where is this revenue authorised co2 rating testing centre

Where does it say its only for cars that dont have manufacturers ratings? It gives you the option of filling in the alternative CO2 figure AFTER you have all the other details about the car filled in.
    and how much exactly do you think 'detuning' the engine is going to save in Co2?

I'm asking that exact question for a reason you incomprehensibly ignorant prick. I hate people like you who get narky on the internet with people in a way that they would never dream of if they were talking to that person in the flesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What year is the car your thinking of importing?

• Advertisement

Where does it say its only for cars that dont have manufacturers ratings? It gives you the option of filling in the alternative CO2 figure AFTER you have all the other details about the car filled in.

I'm asking that exact question for a reason you incomprehensibly ignorant prick. I hate people like you who get narky on the internet with people in a way that they would never dream of if they were talking to that person in the flesh.

you would be pleasantly surprised what I'd say to you in person then..

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    What year is the car your thinking of importing?

2003-2005

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

2003-2005

It will then fall under the old CC rating for road tax so will cost 1600 odd a year in road tax regardless of emissions. The CO2 emissions being reduced would only possibly bring down the VRT.

It will then fall under the old CC rating for road tax so will cost 1600 odd a year in road tax regardless of emissions. The CO2 emissions being reduced would only possibly bring down the VRT.

sweet jebus, thanks for asking that question Tipsy!
    and here was me assuming it was an 08 and the OP had at least some idea what he was doing!

Sure maybe he can get a couple of cylinders taken out to reduce the CC, get a cert, get it taxed
    and then put them back it afterward.

thats for cars that don't have a manufacturers rating. Again, where is this revenue authorised co2 rating testing centre and how much exactly do you think 'detuning' the engine is going to save in Co2?

It also appears you dont really know what you're talking about as well as being an ignorant bollocks. Just read this on the old "new VRT/tax system thread"

Revenue will accept a range of documentation for this purpose. Among the documents deemed satisfactory at present are:
    • the Certificate of Conformity (if it is available),
    • a printout from the Revenue ROS Enquiry System where the level of CO2 emissions is shown www.ros.ie
    • evidence included on a previous registration document e.g. the UK V5,
    • the level of CO2 emissions stated on a previous National Car Test performed elsewhere within the EU provided the CO2 stated is that given at the time of manufacture,
    • A print out for the vehicle from the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) web site, www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk
    • A printout from the VCA (Vehicle Certification Agency) web site
    • A printout from the SEI (Sustainable Energy Ireland) website
    • A certificate from the manufacturer or main distributor stating the level of CO2 emissions.

Hmmm, i suppose i could live with that, not that i actually have a choice i suppose. I thought road tax was changed as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

:D:D

sweet jebus, thanks for asking that question Tipsy!
    and here was me assuming it was an 08 and the OP had at least some idea what he was doing!

You thought an Alfa Romeo 156 was an '08 car? And you are posting on a car forum?

You thought an Alfa Romeo 156 was an '08 car? And you are posting on a car forum?

yep, but I don't count fiats as cars so don't keep up to date on what badges they are sticking on the back of the pile of half glued together metal this year..

yep, but I don't count fiats as cars so don't keep up to date on what badges they are sticking on the back of the pile of half glued together metal this year..

You dont count Ferraris and Maseratis as cars either, no?

You dont count Ferraris and Maseratis as cars either, no?

are you planning on buying one? if yes, no. if no, yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement