Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay sued for plagiarism

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Hope they get cleaned out. Utter sh1t only bought by people who also like The Killers, The Chillis, Maroon 5 and other completely irrelevant similar new-ish bands of poor sound and laughably bad lyircism.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

shane86 wrote: »
    Hope they get cleaned out. Utter sh1t only bought by people who also like The Killers, The Chillis, Maroon 5 and other completely irrelevant similar new-ish bands of poor sound and laughably bad lyircism.
    What a stupid statement. I have all coldplays albums but yet i dont like any of the other bands you stated???
    Why do people catagorise every band somebody likes by mentioning just one.
    Coldplay Poor sound?? Maybe you should have a listen to some of their stuff or better still go see them live and then say they have a bad sound.
    It would be very hard to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

davylee wrote: »
    Why do people catagorise every band somebody likes by mentioning just one.

They are a poor band.

Liked mainly by people who also dig the aforementioned irrelevant bands (could probably throw Nirvana and the Foos into that list as well)

We may have to agree to disagree. So be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

They are a poor band.

Liked mainly by people who also dig the aforementioned irrelevant bands (could probably throw Nirvana and the Foos into that list as well)

We may have to agree to disagree. So be it.
    Most threads ive read on boards regarding coldplay have been ones of discontent.Thats fine because thats opinion.
    But when people start saying if you're buying coldplay you're probably buying the killers, maroon 5 etc thats just snobbery.
    If you like one band you hear on the radio you like them all and the only reason you do is because of all the exposure from radio.
    From reading a lot of threads thats what i believe most people think.
    and thats wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Already in R&M, but i'll say it again. Coldplay don't have a leg to stand on in this case, and I'm sure Mr Satch will be more than happy to settle out of court. :D

Maybe Chris & Co will cop on and stop being so lazy in future. They might even manage to pull off Parachutes II with a little bit of effort, but i won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

funktastic wrote: »

Nah, i'm a fan of Ride but they the two songs aren't that similar, they start off with the same note... and thats about it.
    Dreams Burn Down wasn't mindnumbing sh*te either, nor did it depend on a reality TV show to get it over (which lets face it, at the time (2002), In My Place wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful had it not for Big Brother using it.)

Nice to see though i'm not the only one who remembers them, and Nowhere was such a f*cking awesome album. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Coldplay have said Ride were a big influence in their early days. The opening drum beat is very similar, and the opening guitar riff.

Yep Ride are a much better band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

whats wrong with the killers all of a sudden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Nice to see though i'm not the only one who remembers them, and Nowhere was such a f*cking awesome album. :)

This thread has put in mind of them, and Nowhere, again. Just dug it out again. Great stuff, especially Dreams Burn Down, Kaleidoscope, and Vapour Trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭drumdrum

Its a pretty clear cut case alright!

But anyone here whos a musician will know how hard it is to be totally original these days. Pretty much everyone who is in a band will have at some point in their careers written a song that is new to them, but incidentally is too similar to another song, even though they will never have heard of that song before!

After all, there are only 12 notes per scale to which only a few of them "sound good" under normal classical rules, which modern pop music seems to adhere to for some reason. Listen to jazz or experimental music to see how good adventurous music progressions can be!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

Coldplay are brilliant.... they have such a unique sound. chris martins voice is unlike any other voice ive heard..

same goes for The Killers. and the Chili s. i have a few of their music books..

i hate when people say that their utter ****e... if they actually listen to any of their albums or go see them live they might change their tune about how **** they are...

i like classic rock and 80 s etc etc. my taste in music is very diverse...

but you cant say a band is ****... people who say that just arent giving these recent bands a chance...they are going by the singles they release and what they hear on the radio or in a club or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Not having listened to the sound samples I cannot really say if they are similar or not but in all fairness it is pretty difficult NOT to rip off the music you like when writing.

As for the comments grouping all fans of one band into some hypothetical group of people with bad taste; I think both Satriani and Coldplay are useless, but I like some of the Killers and love Nirvana. Don't be a music nazi; there are lots of reasons to like/dislike different bands, you just don't like people:P

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

by the way, you cant put maroon 5 in the same league as any of them bands...

if you knew about modern music you d kno that maroon 5 are a pop band...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Coldplay are brilliant.... they have such a unique sound. chris martins voice is unlike any other voice ive heard..

same goes for The Killers. and the Chili s. i have a few of their music books..

i hate when people say that their utter ****e... if they actually listen to any of their albums or go see them live they might change their tune about how **** they are...

i like classic rock and 80 s etc etc. my taste in music is very diverse...

but you cant say a band is ****... people who say that just arent giving these recent bands a chance...they are going by the singles they release and what they hear on the radio or in a club or whatever...

Unlike any other voice you've ever heard? He just whines like the rest of the crap bands out nowadays.

Killers are useless too. Their music sounds like it should belong as a backing track to some National Geographic Program but they decided to throw in some lyrics that have to do with someones Boyfriend looking like their girlfriend..... very creative indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

by the way, you cant put maroon 5 in the same league as any of them bands...

if you knew about modern music you d kno that maroon 5 are a pop band...

In all fairness now, I think the Killers and Coldfrayplay are "classed" as rock... now thats funny. They're in the same league as Maroon 5 imo.
    They appeal to people who enjoy commercially good bands that sell their selves on image and their music video's.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Coldplay have gotten progressively worse as they've gone progressively up Chris Martin's ar*e. Parachutes was a good album but their sub-par delusions of U2 grandeur have gotten dull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭LaMer

Utter sh1t only bought by people who also like The Killers, The Chillis, Maroon 5 and other completely irrelevant similar new-ish bands of poor sound and laughably bad lyircism.

If by the Chillis you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers, what a retarded statement, I mean seriously retarded. They've been around since the early 80s and have created a distinct sound.

• Advertisement

... they decided to throw in some lyrics that have to do with someones Boyfriend looking like their girlfriend..... very creative indeed.

Don't forget "are we human or are we dancers" ..... pure pants!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Diggabot wrote: »
    Don't forget "are we human or are we dancers" ..... pure pants!!!
    :rolleyes: do some research on the line, just cos u dont understand it doesnt mean its rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

They are a poor band.

Liked mainly by people who also dig the aforementioned irrelevant bands (could ... Nirvana)

...moron

zuroph wrote: »
    :rolleyes: do some research on the line, just cos u dont understand it doesnt mean its rubbish.

I think the association with the great Hunter S Thompson is insulting to his memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

stovelid wrote: »
    This thread has put in mind of them, and Nowhere, again. Just dug it out again. Great stuff, especially Dreams Burn Down, Kaleidoscope, and Vapour Trail.
    Oh man, I was OBSESSED with Ride in my early teens... what the hell went wrong?! Genius band - such a shame.
    ShawnRaven, check out my shoegazing thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055134614
    Anyhoo, have to say I'm very much in agreement with funktastic. There are serious similarities between Dreams Burn Down and In My Place. Can't believe I didn't notice that before...
    LaMer wrote: »
    If by the Chillis you mean Red Hot Chili Peppers, what a retarded statement, I mean seriously retarded. They've been around since the early 80s and have created a distinct sound.
    No doubt RHCP used to be great... but in the past 10 years they've become as bland as The Lighthouse Family. They get played on Cork's 96FM on a loop (for those in Dublin, think 98FM crossed with Q102).

I don't agree with the really snide dissing of people's tastes though. I think Coldplay are generally bland but they've a few great songs, ditto Keane. I think The Killers are pretty good. Better to have people listening to the likes of them than Shayne Ward...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nm can take a few days off for his lack of constructive criticism..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Well Martin's writing isn't great as it is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyone else notice the not quite subliminal 'ROFL' at around 15 seconds in that vid when Chris Martin appears 'stretched' due to the poor aspect ratio of the picture?

Either way, the original bit seems clear cut but the 'Ride' song isn't so clear cut imo.

As to whether Coldplay are 'irrelevant' or not, that's simply a matter of taste. I'm sure if Shane86 listed all the 'cool' 'relevant' bands he liked many of us here would disagree, probably as many as would agree with him. Personal taste, live and let live people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I reckon dissing music is fine; it riles the people who like it up - which is great fun! C'mon people, don't tell me that none of you like winding up other people from time to time & if the thing you are using to wind them up happens to be music you don't like - all the better! because people tend to feel pretty strongly about "their taste" even though it's entirely subjective, which is all the better to use it for "wind-up ammo". Oh yeah and coldgay suck btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

shane96 wrote: »

Bit over the top there chief, Coldplay are ok, the Killers are good, Chillis good and maroon 5 are tripe.

Why are these bands irrelevant?

What do you mean by bad sound? Whats a good sound?

Laughably bad lyricism? What are good lyrics?

I wouldnt but many would consider your reply to be one of a 12 year old who just got his hands on a zeppelin album and thinks he knows what "real " music is.

Killers have sold 12m records
    Coldplay have sold 40 m records
    Chillis have sold over 50 m

All these bands have big fan bases and its mainly because many millions of people love there stuff for which they deserve some respect. All musicians write music so others can enjoy it, thats the point. And if over a hundred million people enjoy the music of these bands you so quickly label as crap then maybe its your taste and opinion that is crap.

Back on topic

Ride were crap and if they go to court they wont get a penny as Im sure if I spent a while I could find an earlier tune from a different band which would sound like their stuff.

Thats music, all music is born of influence and sometimes similarities are inevitable.

Advertisement