Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay sued for plagiarism

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wouldnt but many would consider your reply to be one of a 12 year old who just got his hands on a zeppelin album and thinks he knows what "real " music is.
    Just an opinion though.
    Killers have sold 12m records
    Coldplay have sold 40 m records
    Chillis have sold over 50 m

All these bands have big fan bases and its mainly because many millions of people love there stuff for which they deserve some respect. All musicians write music so others can enjoy it, thats the point. And if over a hundred million people enjoy the music of these bands you so quickly label as crap then maybe its your taste and opinion that is crap.
    I'm not dissing those bands - I pointed out their strengths earlier - but really, popularity is not a sign of quality, nor is it demanding of respect. I mean, do I have to bring up Westlife, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block...? :)
    Ride were crap
    Bit hypocritical of you, don't ya think? You were just on at someone for labelling other bands crap. Now you may dislike Ride, and that's cool, but in my opinion, they were far more creative and original than any of the bands you're insisting deserve respect.
    and if they go to court they wont get a penny as Im sure if I spent a while I could find an earlier tune from a different band which would sound like their stuff.
    Why does that mean they wouldn't get a penny?

I dislike music snobbery but I also dislike the music PC brigade - "we're so angry at people who look down on those who like mainstream, non cutting edge music that we've been pushed to the point of thinking it's ok to actually diss those who like alternative music".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

shane86 wrote: »
    They are a poor band.

Liked mainly by people who also dig the aforementioned irrelevant bands (could probably throw Nirvana and the Foos into that list as well)

We may have to agree to disagree. So be it.

Nirvana, what? do they wear the same type of socks or something, I can't see or for that matter hear a comparison, who do you like as a matter of interest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In fairness, the drum intro sounds similar, but the poster was correct when they said - within the (admittedly musically narrow) accepted indie format - that 'reused' tunes are to be expected.

Take the first song (Seagull) on the actual Ride album in question: the opening bass riff sounds like.....hardly needs an introduction at this stage. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Dudess wrote: »
    Just an opinion though.

I'm not dissing those bands - I pointed out their strengths earlier - but really, popularity is not a sign of quality, nor is it demanding of respect. I mean, do I have to bring up Westlife, Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block...? :)

Bit hypocritical of you, don't ya think? You were just on at someone for labelling other bands crap. Now you may dislike Ride, and that's cool, but in my opinion, they were far more creative and original than any of the bands you're insisting deserve respect.

Why does that mean they wouldn't get a penny?

I dislike music snobbery but I also dislike the music PC brigade - "we're so angry at people who look down on those who like mainstream, non cutting edge music that we've been pushed to the point of thinking it's ok to actually diss those who like alternative music".

Fair enough, and I dont regret voting you as most lickable. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I've never been a fan of Coldplay, I think they're dull, twee and unimaginative. Don't think its necessarily a clear-cut case of plagiarism though. Its entirely possible that Satriani (a great guitarist but a pretty bland composer) and Coldplay (also bland composers/songwriters) both happened to come up with the same bland 4-chord progression. I'd be interested to hear a musicologist's opinion of this.

• Advertisement

Have to say I love Viva La Vida - great song.
    stovelid wrote: »
    Take the first song (Seagull) on the actual Ride album in question: the opening bass riff sounds like.....hardly needs an introduction at this stage. :D
    I'm stumped - what?
    I dont regret voting you as most lickable. ;)
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dudess wrote: »

I'm stumped - what?

:o

Taxman. I always thought so anyway.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

cornbb wrote: »
    I've never been a fan of Coldplay, I think they're dull, twee and unimaginative. Don't think its necessarily a clear-cut case of plagiarism though. Its entirely possible that Satriani (a great guitarist but a pretty bland composer) and Coldplay (also bland composers/songwriters) both happened to come up with the same bland 4-chord progression. I'd be interested to hear a musicologist's opinion of this.

It's not just the same 4 chord progression. If that's all there was to it, then I doubt anyone would blink an eye, but there's more than the chord progression, the vocal melody is almost identical to the lead guitar melody in Satch's song. It's the same melody played over the same chord progession, and either of those things indipendant of each other could easily be a coincidence, but together it doesn't leave much room for coincidence.

stovelid wrote: »
    Taxman. I always thought so anyway.. :o
    Not as similar as The Jam's Start/Elvis Costello and the Attractions' Pump It Up, but yeah, Ride made no secret of their adoration for the Beatles. There's a track on their Going Blank Again LP called Not Fazed, which has always reminded me of Day Tripper.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,315 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another guy unimpressed by Coldplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

It's not just the same 4 chord progression. If that's all there was to it, then I doubt anyone would blink an eye, but there's more than the chord progression, the vocal melody is almost identical to the lead guitar melody in Satch's song. It's the same melody played over the same chord progession, and either of those things indipendant of each other could easily be a coincidence, but together it doesn't leave much room for coincidence.

The chord progression is the key to the thing though. (Or maybe I should say tonality progression? I'm not sure.) It basically lays the bedrock for the melody to lie upon, a framework if you will, and the melody has a certain amount of freedom once it follows that framework. I'm sure you know what I mean, as a musician.

I think if you listen closely to the melodies there are more deviations than are apparent than if you just listen to the tonality/chord progression. But its the similar chord progression that jumps out at us.

Anyway, I'm not a musicologist, I'm just trying to say that the song isn't Necessarily a rip-off, and I say that as someone who dislikes Coldplay a lot. They are a populist band, they are followers not leaders. They have very few innovative ideas of their own.

Advertisement