Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaptor won't detect network

Options
  • 06-12-2008 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Hopefully one of you can help me out here- I'm all googled out :(

I have a PC, Windows XP Service Pack 2, with a linksys wireless adaptor installed (WUSB54GS). The router I'm trying to connect to is a D-link DI-524.

I've read the manuals, re-installed the adaptors drivers and googled for hours but I can't figure out a solution- the wireless adaptor just can't see the network. I've disabled and renabled all the security features (WPA, firewalls). Reinstalled the drivers for the adaptor. It's not a case of range, as the adaptor is picking up networks from all the houses around me on different channels, even one from a hotel that's a good 100 metres away. The router has a range of 100m and is picked up perfectly by all the other laptops and wireless devices in the house. The SSID is being broadcast, but my PC can't seem to see it.

I'm stumped. I've never had a problem connecting to networks with this adaptor before. Anyone got any ideas?

Sorry if this is a silly question :o I'm a mac user most of the time so I can be a bit slow when it comes to figuring out PCs. Help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Check what mode the router is broadcasting in. G or B etc. Trying changing it and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

I had a similar problem with a laptop I bought in the states not seeing my routers SSID. Turned out the router was set to choose the channel automatically and was choosing channel 12. In the states they only use up to channel 11 so my laptop was set up on some level to only look as far as that. Changing the router channel did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The router is broadcasting in G mode, which the adaptor should pick up. The router channel is set to 6, and I've set my adaptor to 6 as well, but it's still not picking up. In the meantime it's picking up plenty of networks from the surrounding buildings, all on different channels with different encryption methods :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

id flash new firmware. and update ur wireless card software. then if that doesnt work id get a mates laptop and rule out ur router having a faulty broadcast..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

The router's firmware is up to date, and is picked up by 3 laptops (one mac, one vista, one xp) and an iPhone. I've reinstalled the software and drivers for the USB adaptor and it still isn't picking up the network. I'm fairly stumped! Thanks for the replies so far :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement