Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menu list for a new sat nav?

• 06-12-2008 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

I currently have a Nuvi 310 with old maps (v9) and, with the hindsight of a little experience, would like to purchase a new model with the following features as a priority instead of upgrading. I'm aware these features may not exist, but hopefully the experts on here will advise :)
    1. Is there any sat nav out there that will allow me to avoid narrow winding lanes masquerading as roads? No option on my current machine works for this purpose and I'm fed up getting taken down routes where the hedges on both sides give me a quick car wash in the rain.
    2. I would like some type of lane assistance - not just for motorways, but at traffic lights or multi-optional junctions in towns.
    3. I don't need bluetooth, picture storage or MP3 functions etc - I just want a good sat nav for Irish/UK roads - if I can avoid paying for these extras - great!

Any help or guidance is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

1. Is there any sat nav out there that will allow me to avoid narrow winding lanes masquerading as roads? No option on my current machine works for this purpose and I'm fed up getting taken down routes where the hedges on both sides give me a quick car wash in the rain.
    I think this is a particular Garmin thing. I have a Nuvi 660 and it does this too, both here and on the continent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I currently have a Nuvi 310 with old maps (v9) and, with the hindsight of a little experience, would like to purchase a new model with the following features as a priority instead of upgrading. I'm aware these features may not exist, but hopefully the experts on here will advise :)
    2. I would like some type of lane assistance - not just for motorways, but at traffic lights or multi-optional junctions in towns.
    3. I don't need bluetooth, picture storage or MP3 functions etc - I just want a good sat nav for Irish/UK roads - if I can avoid paying for these extras - great!

Any help or guidance is much appreciated :)
    i have had 3 sat systems my first was a navman far to small and poor mapping for ireland, my next one was a sony that was good but i found it hard to update my maps ,this last one i have is a tom tom xl and is far the best it also updates you on traffic jams and you can update your maps on line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Part of your problem is caused by the fact that there are some crap roads in Ireland designated as 'N' roads even they're no better than country boreens, the road from Loughrea to Ennis via Gort is an example.

If you're planning a trip from Dublin to Ennis for example, it's a toss up as to whether a Garmin will send you via Limerick and the N7 or Athlone/Ballinasloe/Loughrea/Gort, the last section of which is a terrible road even though it's graded as an 'N' road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

Thanks for the replies. Reading through the posts in other threads it looks like I may as well stick with Garmin because of the seeming lack of townlands with Tom Tom.
    My own address (!) is just my name, a townland, the nearest town and the county - no number or any other identifying feature -and I know this is the same for many people living in rural areas (contrary to the notions of some people who think that identifying the townlands is irrelevant). When any firm is making deliveries to me, I have to guide them by phone and even that gets complicated. One side of the road I live on is a different townland to mine, for example, and my townland meanders around another few roads as well.
    Oh, the joy of country life ...

Advertisement