Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Phone Request

• 06-12-2008 6:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know there are loads of these type of phone requests but I am looking to get recommendations on a slightly more narrowed down type of phone.

Looking for a Nokia that can be used on the o2 network. My specifications are:
    Nice sized screen (for internet use),
    Relatively good Photo Camera (with video taking ability),
    Plenty of memory to store applications/photos/videos,
    Stable and Fast (to many phones these days are sluggish and unstable),
    Excellent battery life,
    Not to heavy.

It would be a mix of a business and personal phone. I currently have the Nokia 5300 XpressMusic (I never use the music section of it) but its not the best and I am looking for a change.

Cheers folks for all your assistance with this. Its appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Hi Sully, the E71 ticks all those boxes....battery life is excellent...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Seems a bit to pricey. I lost faith in buying expensive phones but I could be won over. :p Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

N95 or E51

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would go with this to. Got one yesterday and still playing around with it but it seems class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Nokia 6500 (the candy bar one), have a mate who has one and he loves it.

Very slim size, decent screen and 1gb built in memory.

Linky

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The keyboard on the E71 is tiny! Looked at it yesterday in store. What do you folks think about a Blackberry? Considering it, though its not a Nokia id consider switching. Cheers for all the help so far lads, appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Sully wrote: »
    Seems a bit to pricey. I lost faith in buying expensive phones but I could be won over. :p Any other suggestions?

Yes: the E71 hahaha!
    It may be pricey, but you'll be able to sell it on at a good price I say. The predecessor, e61, held its price quite nicely for over 2 years, and the e71's build is excellent!
    E51 is a good cheaper alternative!
    Or the 6220!

The keyboard on the E71 is tiny! Looked at it yesterday in store. What do you folks think about a Blackberry? Considering it, though its not a Nokia id consider switching. Cheers for all the help so far lads, appreciated!

Keyboard's small, yes, but very well designed. It's cool for onehanded use, and after a couple of hours I was able to type on it just as well as on my old e61 or my tytn!
    The BB's not exactly cheap, is it? And I hate contracts, so: no comment ;)

Fair enough then.. The BB is cheaper on o2 but id probably get it of eBay if I was tied into a contract (im not switching to bill pay, its working out cheaper on pre-pay!).

Fair enough then.. The BB is cheaper on o2 but id probably get it of eBay if I was tied into a contract (im not switching to bill pay, its working out cheaper on pre-pay!).

Yeah, but to make full use of the bb, you need to sign up with bb services ;)

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    Yeah, but to make full use of the bb, you need to sign up with bb services ;)

What exactly does BB offer? It just seemed like a similar type of phone to the E71 maybe a bit more functionality and a nicer screen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

just check out everything b4 u buy...

my mate was selling me a bb storm and i was gonna stick in a ready to go sim until voda told me the bb wont accept a prepay sim..they said the phone wont work at all..has to be bill pay sim they said

mind u i just took their word(if it was 3 ireland, i wouldnt have believed a word..generally what ever they tell u, usually its the opposite thats true)

anyway, if it is true, it may only be a bb storm thing, or even a voda thing..but b4 u buy off ebay, just check it out..

Okay so thats the blackberry ruled out. What has this E71 got to offer that makes it so better? Besides a small keyboard :p Im not paying for it now so im told, so im open to all kind of ideas now ;)

Thanks folks!

Okay so thats the blackberry ruled out. What has this E71 got to offer that makes it so better? Besides a small keyboard :p Im not paying for it now so im told, so im open to all kind of ideas now ;)

Thanks folks!

On this forum alone there are plenty of e71-related threads, with plenty of happy customers.
    The 71 has won various awards already, incl 'smartphone' of the year', and the wixards over on boygeniusreport.com called it the best Nokia device ever!

It's beautifully crafted, fast, stable, easy to setup; there's shedloads of apps etc etc
    It's also great as a modem for your laptop, be it via usb, bluetooth or wifi with an app like joikuspot.
    The only downside for some is the 2.5mm earphone socket, but you can buy cheap adaptors or sennheiser 2.5mm earphones. The music performance is actually not bad with good earphones.
    It takes up to 16gb micro sd's and there's no indication it won't handle the 32gb's once they are available.
    Did I mention HOW fast it is? How the browser can handle google video and youtube, how it sets up your email accounts in a jiffy? And how you can truly multitask - browse the web, while listening to mp3s, then copy a webpage and email it without closing the browser, and bt-ing a song while listening to another song while still online, and boing, yes, while you do that you can still send an sms or mms...and it won't slow down...
    It's a great phone. It's well worth getting to grips with the small-ish keypad.
    Oh, and it's sturdy. Really sturdy.
    And the battery life is amazing.
    In a recent gps test, it outperformed all gps devices ever tested on that site by hours! And hours!

You work for Nokia, dont you? :P

You work for Nokia, dont you? :P

Yeah, I'm running the Castlebar R&D lab ;)
    No, I am not working for Nokia.
    I dislike most of their phones!
    Only ones I ever owned and liked were N91 for sheer sound class, e61 and e71... hated my n95 and n95/8!
    The e71 however is T H A T good! Simple as that!

Looking over the E51 its very similar to the E71 - the only difference seems to be battery life and camera?

EDIT: Its 400 euro with o2. I dont think id wish that price on the person buying it for me!

Looking over the E51 its very similar to the E71 - the only difference seems to be battery life and camera?

EDIT: Its 400 euro with o2. I dont think id wish that price on the person buying it for me!

In that case e51 ;)

the only difference seems to be battery life and camera?

EDIT: Its 400 euro with o2

Battery Life, Camera, Sat Nav, Larger Screen Querty keybaord. to name but a few, there in diferent leagues....., you can pick it up from the UK for €325 sim free, doub 02 will give you back €75 in credit for buying it anyway... http://cgi.ebay.ie/NOKIA-E71-BRAND-NEW-GREY-STEEL-UNLOCKED-MOBILE-PHONE_W0QQitemZ250334881883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item250334881883&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Battery Life, Camera, Sat Nav, Larger Screen Querty keybaord. to name but a few, there in diferent leagues....., you can pick it up from the UK for €325 sim free, doub 02 will give you back €75 in credit for buying it anyway... http://cgi.ebay.ie/NOKIA-E71-BRAND-NEW-GREY-STEEL-UNLOCKED-MOBILE-PHONE_W0QQitemZ250334881883QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MobilePhones_MobilePhones?hash=item250334881883&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A3|39%3A1|240%3A1308

Cheers. Ill get it from them but will speak to o2 first. Doubt they will do anything for me tho.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Ill get it from them but will speak to o2 first. Doubt they will do anything for me tho.

Make sure they activate the 99c a day internet add on if you haven't aready got it....

Went to two o2 shops on Grafton St. One asked his manager, who said no. The other simply said no. Both Vodafone and 3 offer the phone on PrePay about €20 cheaper.

Advertisement