Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing PCI Sound Card.

Options
  • 06-12-2008 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I tried installing a pci sound card that i got off ebay a while ago, it didnt work so I gave up.

I want to give it another shot. I was researching and came across this
    on ehow.com

These instructions will work for the majority of Intel & AMD PCs running Windows XP/Vista. If your computer currently has a sound chip (called “on board sound”) or if your sound card requires a change in jumpers or IRQs, installation will be much more complicated and you might want to consult a professional.

My pc has no soundcard at present so i presume it has a sound chip!

How do I go about (after the physical aspect of instalation) getting it to work on my pc? Maybe uninstall my onboard sound chip and then install new drivers for new card... how wud i uninstall my current sound chip?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Consult a professional? What nonsense. Just to go control panel, and uninstall whatever sound drivers/software are currently installed. Then install your PCI card physically into the PCI Slot. Next, restart the machine and enter the bios and under 'integrated peripherals' or something similar, there will be an option to disable on board sound.

Then install your sound card drivers when you get into windows, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

K so im in Device manager

These pop up:

Audio codecs
    Legacy audio drivers
    Legacy video capture devices
    Media control devices
    Microsoft GSM 6.10 Audio Codec
    Realtek High definition audio
    video codecs

When I click the Microsoft GSM..etc one an option comes up to disable,
    Same with the Realtek one underneath it. So I presume I disable both of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

No. Just go to Control Panel, then to 'Add/Remove Programs'. Uninstall the realtek drivers/software. Shut down your computer. Open up your case, install sound card. Upon starting the machine again go into the bios settings before you boot into windows. Disable the onboard sound in there. Then just let it boot windows as normal, install the drivers for the new card, restart and done.

Advertisement