Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smoking 16 year old.

Options
  • 06-12-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

I have just found out that my 16 year old son is smoking. any advice on how I could get him to stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Other than the normal-show him a cancerous lung picture,do the worried mammy routine,or make him smoke so much he gets sick,theres not much you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

When I was 14 I started smoking. Of course my mum could smell it straight away but I kept denying it. I stopped fairly quickly because I realised the hassle I would get from her would not be worth it.

So I suggest turning into "mega scary mammy" and giving him so much grief about it that he decides it would be better to quit now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭cmcsoft

Education is the best policy I reckon. I think the whole pestering routine won't work. Kids become immune to that. Try getting him information on it and explaining to him how dangerous and disgusting it can be

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Mega nagging mammy would stress you out and make you smoke more!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,205 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is he using lunch money to buy them? If so, make him a packed lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep no money, no cigarettes!

Other than that there is really nothing else you can do... I know you're his mammy and all, but you can't watch him 24/7 and if he really does want to continue doing it, he will find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the worst thing kids can have is Money. Its one thing if they really want something and you know they are going to spend the money on it, but when they have any amount of cash that you arent keeping track of, you have no guarantee they arent spending it on cigarettes or hash or alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I started smoking when I was 17. My mother (although she smoked herself) always told me that she would "slap me down" if she caught me smoking. I remember being a pretty rotten kid and very rebellious. I started smoking one night out and next morning in an act of defiance told her I smoked. I had smoked perhaps 10 cigs but of course she didn't know that. Instead of letting me have it -she sighed and offered me a pack of cigarettes. (Back then laws were not enforced much. I never had a problem getting cigarettes) I didn't stop smoking after that first pack until over 30 years later and a small fortune spent and tremendous health risk to me and others. I wish now she had knocked me on my butt. Keep after him - threaten- nag- bully and don't give up and don't let up. It takes some of us longer to see the light than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Deki wrote: »
    I started smoking when I was 17. My mother (although she smoked herself) always told me that she would "slap me down" if she caught me smoking. I remember being a pretty rotten kid and very rebellious. I started smoking one night out and next morning in an act of defiance told her I smoked. I had smoked perhaps 10 cigs but of course she didn't know that. Instead of letting me have it -she sighed and offered me a pack of cigarettes. (Back then laws were not enforced much. I never had a problem getting cigarettes) I didn't stop smoking after that first pack until over 30 years later and a small fortune spent and tremendous health risk to me and others. I wish now she had knocked me on my butt. Keep after him - threaten- nag- bully and don't give up and don't let up. It takes some of us longer to see the light than others.

No offense, but do you really blame your mother for not quitting smoking for 30 years??

Weren't you an adult for most of that time?

Did you just ignore all the info available about dangers of smoking?
    Why did you do that?
    Because mammy didn't nag you to death when you were a teenager?

Sorry, but this is just plain silly. Your inability to take charge of your own life and health is not your mother's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I tried when I was 16 (am 30 now) and I stopped for 2 reasons:-

a. It affected my fitness, and more importantly
    b. My parents pointed out to me that all the guys who smoked in my class were not very bright ie. they had no interest in school and were dossers..failed exams etc. And the intelligent guys who would go onto to university did not smoke..

As an "A Student" with high academic ambitions, having that pointed out to me had a profound effect as I did not want to be associated with 'stupid people' or dossers..and gave up fairly quickly and nevr touched them agian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

I tried when I was 16 (am 30 now) and I stopped for 2 reasons:-

b. My parents pointed out to me that all the guys who smoked in my class were not very bright ie. they had no interest in school and were dossers..failed exams etc. And the intelligent guys who would go onto to university did not smoke..

A little dangerous. There are plenty of very intelligent smokers. Maybe there were none in your class, but there could be and then this argument is out of the window.

Smoking stunts your growth might be handy, sometimes it doesn't happen, but it is more likely to happen if you start early. Guys tend not to like a thought of being a shorty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Show him the Giving Up Smoking forum on this site so he can see how hard it is to give up when youre addicted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

I agree no money = no cigg, however he can get them from friends. although not many, enough to get hooked.

Here is what i would do (cos im an evil B*&%$). Get a needle and syringe, fill it up with the most disgusting substance that can safley be burned and inject it into the cigg then make him sit down and smoke the lot ..... mwwuuuhhha ha ha ha ha.

Actually (speeking from experience) a wet cigg tastes vile. Soak them and let them dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Sorry, Ebmma, If you think I meant to blame my mother for my smoking habit of over 30 years, I must not have explained it very well. You are of course correct in your assumption that the whole thing was silly. At seventeen I was silly to tell my mother I smoked when I had smoked 10 cigarettes in my entire life but that was what I did - I made lots of other mistakes too- and paid for all of them one way or another. The thing is that when I did grow up a little and tried to rid myself of this vile habit - I couldn't do it. I wasn't in control anymore I'd given in to addiction. So back to this boy; at 16 most just want to fit in-are his friends smoking too? He can't have been smoking long and just how bad is his addiction? I stand by my original post- keep nagging , don't let up. Do whatever it takes - some day he'll thank you for it. By the way since my bratty teen years I have raised a son of my own who does not smoke. I did finally manage to quit. But to all the world - I do not blame my mother for my habit or any of my other wicked ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 muireann =]

:confused:to be honest....you cant!i dont smoke myself but i do know ALOT of people who do!and i no that if there parents knew(and most of them do!)that it wouldnt make them stop it would just make them hide it!!some evan buy them smokes(not recomended!)and i only didnt start smoking because of a death in my family!and you cant kill anybody!:P

just say ur disapointed and that you dont want to see it because it hurts you so they cant smoke around you cause that would really get to me if i smoked!!:o

did u ever think maybe there could be somthing behind the smoking????:(

not blaming you ovcourse!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

cant help ya there bud. First time i got caught i was about 8 lol. Started smoking 15-20 a day when i was 13. Now im a old looking 25 lol

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I started when I was 14. I'm about 8 weeks off them now, and I'm 28. Whatever about the money wasted, bring him to a cancer ward. Be cruel to him. Tell him that'll be him in 20 years. If my mother had done that to me, I'd be off them years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

If I ever get cancer, I hope people don't bring their kids to the hospital to stare at me. Like wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

beertons wrote: »
    I started when I was 14. I'm about 8 weeks off them now, and I'm 28. Whatever about the money wasted, bring him to a cancer ward. Be cruel to him. Tell him that'll be him in 20 years. If my mother had done that to me, I'd be off them years.

Cruel to him?

Hospitals aren't circuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Don't give him €8 disposable income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Fad wrote: »
    Cruel to him?

Hospitals aren't circuses.

/Obligatory Harney remark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

OP: You're probably too late. My mother stopped me pre-school (before I started) by giving me a ciggie. I took one pull and nearly choked/blacked out. I'm the only person in my family (parents and siblings) not to smoke so it worked. Get 'em early. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

im telling you .... wet a packet of ciggies, dry them on the radiator, get him to smoke them when they are dry (20 pack) and watch his face turn green on the first drag....

Anyone who is a smoker will tell you that when you smoke a wet fag it puts you off them and makes you gag. At his age its more of a rebelling/fitting in aspect rather then being a hardened smoker of 20 years. Distroy the "pleasure" of smoking for him and he wont look back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Give him a copy of the Alan Carr book, Education is the way to resolve the nicotine addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Gather up all their hoodies and threaten to throw them out as you are concerned that they are turning into one of those skobie children as only skobie children smoke. Offer them the choice of hoodies or ciggies but not both!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement