Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Micheal Connelly ???? Suggestions plz

Options
  • 06-12-2008 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Right I have just finished reading all of the Micheal Connelly books so can anyone suggest other authors as good in the same genre ??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Tough one - I'm in the same boat, and haven't really enjoyed any of the other authors as much.

I just read two of the "Dave Robicheaux" books by James Lee Burke and really didn't think much of them.

The "Elvis Cole" series by Robert Crais is OK, but pretty light reading. Quite formulaic stuff, but not as bad as the "Jack Reacher" or "Detective Cross" books (crap).

I still keep meaning to give the James Ellroy books a go (LA Confidential etc) - from what I remember, I think the narrative is written in the slang of the time, which made it hard enough going - though it's years and years since I gave it a go.

John Connolly isn't really in the same genre - it's crime, but with an element of the supernatural. They are definitely worth a read - I think "Every Dead Thing" is the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

well i started reading Dean Koontz around the same time as i started reading MC books (can you recommend some good ones please?)

DK is good...sometimes he goes on a bit (too many detailed descriptions ALL the time!!) but his storylines are great!! try velocity or the husband....im reading Fear nothing at the mo and i really like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I'd recommend:

Peter Robinson (Alan Banks Series)
    Stephen Booth (Fry & Cooper series)
    Graham Hurley (Joe Faraday Series)
    Mark Billingham (Tom Thorne Series)

Or if you prefer the American based series try Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series. A bit heavy going in places, but enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

How very ignorant of me to not come back and thank those that had replied , I started reading a book and forgot about this until I had finished and was on the look out again .
    giddybootz wrote: »
    well i started reading Dean Koontz around the same time as i started reading MC books (can you recommend some good ones please?)

All of them tbh , I enjoyed both the Harry Bosch ones and the Lincoln Lawyer . Just start at the start and work your way through .

I'd recommend:

Peter Robinson (Alan Banks Series)
    Stephen Booth (Fry & Cooper series)
    Graham Hurley (Joe Faraday Series)
    Mark Billingham (Tom Thorne Series)

Or if you prefer the American based series try Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series. A bit heavy going in places, but enjoyable.

Thanks for that , I will make my way to the local second hand shop and have a look for them .

jonski wrote: »
    All of them tbh , I enjoyed both the Harry Bosch ones and the Lincoln Lawyer . Just start at the start and work your way through.

Harry Bosch is excellent. It took me a few chapters into "The Lincoln Lawyer" to get into Mickey Haller, but loved it. I'm currently reading "The Brass Verdict". Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I'm back ! one year later , and I have found a replacement for my Micheal Connolly/ Harry Bosch addiction ........ Robert Crais / Elvis Cole .( recommended by Eoin in the second post but I had forgotten about it )

I have read two now and enjoyed both enough to make me head into the second hand book store and pick up the rest of them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ektsoc

Have you tried Ian Rankin, Harlan Coben is very good too, James Ellroy, Kathy Reichs is good you really get into the characters reams better than the Bones series as usual the books are far superior. Have you read Patricia Cornwall series except for the last 3 books they are brillant. Karin Slaughter is gruesome but excellent edge of seat reading. Tess Gerritsen is very good too. Hope my suggestions help.

jonski wrote: »
    I'm back ! one year later , and I have found a replacement for my Micheal Connolly/ Harry Bosch addiction ........ Robert Crais / Elvis Cole .( recommended by Eoin in the second post but I had forgotten about it )

I have read two now and enjoyed both enough to make me head into the second hand book store and pick up the rest of them .

+1 The Elvis Cole series is excellent

I've just bought the first book in Henning Mankell's Inspector Wallander series. Has anyone read any of these?

Advertisement