Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating a room

Options
  • 06-12-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭

we have a large sitting room (23ft x 14ft) and it has a fireplace and 2 rads but it is never warm.could anyone suggest a good option to use .i have been thinking of putting in a stove in the fireplace.would this be much addition?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Plenty of treads here about installing a stove
    They certainly look good and if it’s only to add additional heat to the room’ it doesn’t need to be that big
    However why is the room cold’ are the radiators to small’ are they blocked behind the couch’ or curtains’
    Can you block off the chimney’ while not in use

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

the rads are behind the couch/armchairs cant really do alot about that other than pull the couch out further from the rads .thr fireplace just doesnt seem to put out much heat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi
    In the situation you are in with fireplace in room you will lose at least 60% of your heat up the chimney,when heating is on. Your room size will need 12880 Btu's to heat room. Check out Rad sizes your rads could be under sized which I doubt. With these calculations i assume you have an 8' ceiling. I have heard of a company somewhere in Limerick who do a flue closer when fire is not in use it's something you put in your flew and blow it up and can be taken out at any time. Maybe if you know anybody in Limerick can check this out for you

Advertisement