Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking Of Getting Xbox 360-Question

• 06-12-2008 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

What I want to know before I buy one is how long it lasts before it becomes obsolete like the old Xbox did. Will it last as long as the PS3? The graphics seem to be equal to that of the PS3 so will it last as long?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭chops1990

waste o money. i bought one an it broke in 2-3 months. My bro bought one and it broke in the same length of time. Save your money and get a ps3! They last forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

The price of a PS3 is an obvious deterrent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

chops1990 wrote: »
    waste o money. i bought one an it broke in 2-3 months. My bro bought one and it broke in the same length of time. Save your money and get a ps3! They last forever
    not if your one breaks tomorrow.

Dont say such nasty hurtful things!

Yeah, they're expensive, but worth every penny, IMO

• Advertisement

Oh another disadvantage is they sound like fookin hoovers! While ps3's are practically soundless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Oh another disadvantage is they sound like fookin hoovers! While ps3's are practically soundless

Not anymore, install to the HDD and it's grand.

OP there's no significant difference between the two graphic-wise (I have both)

I think they're are better quality these days than when they first came out.

If you get a 360, get the elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Good for you, go post about it in the PlayStation forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i have both consoles aswell and the xbox gets more action of the 2,ps3 seems like a waste of money now,only ting is you have to pay to play online on the xbox live while the ps3 is free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    My two mates ps3s have barely even been turned on since they bought theirs at launch time...

So you have a choice buy a PS3 (for alot more cash) and marvel at how it doesnt make as much noise and has an integrated PSU and watch it gather dust or buy a new model (Jasper) 360 and actually use it for the purpose it was designed for (playing games)

did your mates buy ps3s and then not buy games or something?

theres ample amount of games for both systems. i have all 5 of the current gen of consoles, and altho the 360 used to be my weapon of choice, its gradually moved over to the ps3 in the last 8 months for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Tbh the only reason to get a PS3 at the moment is for LittleBigPlanet IMO. It's last the game I got for the PS3 in ages.

The way I look at it if you compare like styles of games from each console the 360 usually has the better choice.

Halo3 >> Resistance
    PGR4, Forza2 >> Motostorm
    Mass effect >> Generic JRPG such as Final Fantasy( :) )

There are a heap of cross platform games that are pretty much identical. I personally prefere western games than eastern style games so thats just me. I just don`t rate games like Metal gear series (I think the splinter cell series is much better) and the GT5 prologue was possible one of the biggest overhyped piece of muck I have ever driven.

resistance 2 >> halo 3 >> resistance
    motorstorm 2 >>>>> pgr4, forza 2 >> motorstorm
    wipeout hd >> anything

just to correct your somewhat out of date view on games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The resistance series is nowhere near as good as the halo series. The graphics are all washed out and it feels like a poors mans medal of honour but with different enemies. Wipeout HD is great but its just a graphical update of an old game (albeit a fantastic game). Motorstorm 2 isnt my cup of tea sure it looks good but Id prefere DIRT if I want some off road action.

You have your preferences, he has his although you seem to have a very biased opinion!

You don't rate MGS??? Right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

flyswatter wrote: »
    What I want to know before I buy one is how long it lasts before it becomes obsolete like the old Xbox did. Will it last as long as the PS3? The graphics seem to be equal to that of the PS3 so will it last as long?

It'll be around for a few more years anyway. Just make sure you buy it new and not secondhand as it'll be more reliable and you'll have a guarantee.

Personally I think the games are better on 360.

You should have a HDTV too or graphics are not that good at all on any console.

There's far more 360 owners so you should be able to pick up some of the old classic games for fairly cheap in xtra vision, they usually have the best deals on the actual console too.

The resistance series is nowhere near as good as the halo series. The graphics are all washed out and it feels like a poors mans medal of honour but with different enemies. Wipeout HD is great but its just a graphical update of an old game (albeit a fantastic game). Motorstorm 2 isnt my cup of tea sure it looks good but Id prefere DIRT if I want some off road action.

i didnt say the resistance series was better than the halo series, i said resistance 2 was better than halo 3

motorstorm 2 is one of the best racing games ive played in the last 3 years, far superior to dirt imo

Keith186 wrote: »
    There's far more 360 owners so you should be able to pick up some of the old classic games for fairly cheap in xtra vision, they usually have the best deals on the actual console too.

It's actually pretty similar in Europe, about 7m - 5m in favour of Xbox and 22m - 17m worldwide, PS3 isn't as far behind in terms of sales as people would like to think considering the 360 has been around a year longer and it's catching up fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

To answer the OP question. The 360 still has a couple more years left and at it's current price it's not a major blow to your wallet so I would suggest picking one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll go for the Xbox. Just another question- Does the 360 work with a wireless DSL connection for Xbox Live?

you have to buy an additional (and ridiculously expensive) wireless adaptor for it, youre as well going with a wired connection if you possibly can

Helix wrote: »
    you have to buy an additional (and ridiculously expensive) wireless adaptor for it, youre as well going with a wired connection if you possibly can

Yeah, if you pay for that and Xbox live then you've pretty much spent what you would have on the PS3!

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Yeah, if you pay for that and Xbox live then you've pretty much spent what you would have on the PS3!

you get a better service tho

you get a better service tho

So the legend goes, but I haven't noticed anything wrong with mine or a vast improvement when I play my friends 360! Bluray was always the decider for me anyway!

ive watched one bluray on my ps3 and it was the one they posted me for free after i set it up. i have zero interest in spending 30 quid on a movie i could get on dvd for a 5th of that price

ive watched one bluray on my ps3 and it was the one they posted me for free after i set it up. i have zero interest in spending 30 quid on a movie i could get on dvd for a 5th of that price

Some good deals here I buy a few occasionally! I buy more of them than I do DVD's now. It won't be long before they come down to the €20 mark which, new release DVD's are at in the shops now!

ooh theyre actually quite reasonable some of them

cheers for the link

ooh theyre actually quite reasonable some of them

cheers for the link

No problem, just make sure they're region free! That site will clearly say whether it is or not!

Advertisement