Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

downgrade Vista home prem to xp

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi Guys , i know some where there was a tread on this but cant find it now,
    love to know if any of you had vista home prem and put in xp home and if it worked vista is doing my head in !!!!!

Thanks for any help guys ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ste_burn

yes i have downgrade(upgrade) a HP laptop To XP

the only thing i you will mite need extra drivers to see the hard drive
    these need to be loaded when xp install starts press f6 button to load the drivers from a floppy disk
    it will only work with floppy drive usb flash sticks dont work xp will be able to use it.

you can get a usb floppy drive to get this to work.

Please note if your pc is still in warrantte it will void.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I downgraded my vista dell inspiron 1520 last night to xp, and also put a boot of ubuntu on it, it was a tedious process but all is fine now, and my laptop booming along, vista just wasn't for me.

I found a great source on the web to help me.

Basically you need all the drivers for xp, which usually are found on your manufacturers website.

Then you need an xp disc with service pack 2. Note, that without service pack 2 disc you might run into some problems, especially if you have a pci-express graphics card, so you might want to look into slipstreaming.

A simple google search referring to your model of pc downgrading should give you the answer, however if it happens to be a dell inspiron 1520, you can pm me and i can give you the link to which aided me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I downgraded my vista dell inspiron 1520 last night to xp, and also put a boot of ubuntu on it, it was a tedious process but all is fine now, and my laptop booming along, vista just wasn't for me.

I did the same- with an Inspiron 6400. I have it dual booting with Ubuntu and XP-Pro now. Don't think I'll go back to Vista in a hurry..... I have a Beta of Windows 7- which has a much smaller footprint than Vista, and seems to be a lot less of a resource hog. I might have a look at it when it becomes available retail.

Advertisement