Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with a pet

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to hear experiances from people renting with pets. I am about to move into a lovely private ground floor apartment with it's own entrance, but the lease specifies no pets.

I have a cocker spaniel who is absolutely no trouble, and on the advice of a couple of friends who have been in the same boat, I'm neglecting to mention this to the letting agency. Apparently they have found that the 'no pets' rule will only be enforced if the pet turns out to be a nuisance, which I don't think she will be.

The apartment is in a complex covered by CCTV and I have to walk out in view of loads of apartments to walk her.

Does anyone here have secret pets? Or been evicted because of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

My advice - be upfront. Going behind the landlord or letting agency's back is just not going to work. Instead, suggest that you are willing to pay an additional deposit to cover any damage caused by the dog.

I have two collies and I was lucky to find a great landlady. The place was so perfect for me and the dogs that my heart was in my mouth telling her I had two dogs, but she was pro-dog herself and it worked out great.

On the other hand, the first time I rented out my own house, the couple who moved in did not tell me they had a male Pug. I only discovered this after they'd moved in and their deception made me so mad. I wouldn't have turned them down anyways as I didn't mind them having a dog, but the fact that they weren't upfront with me got the tenancy off to a very bad start.

What would happen if you move in with the dog, only to be told days or weeks later that the dog has to go? You'd have to move then if you want to keep the dog, and you'd probably lose your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You would loose your deposit.

You should be upfront or try find a place you can bring your pet.

You'll constantly be on edge otherwise and you may have to make a choice a few months down the road to give up your home, or your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Be upfront... I've been in both situations.
    We kept the dog without telling the landlady and she never found out.

This time around we told them and they were delighted, she even calls up to see the dog sometimes! You could lose your deposit if you lie though, so just tell them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

I agree, you should tell them now before you have to sign the lease cos you will run the risk of losing your deposit. I moved into a rented place last year with my cairn x and it was def harder to find someplace that was happy to accept her. I knew I wasn't going to give her up but I've found a great place and a landlord who is really good.

Good luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MissyN

I had a secret pet in my last apartment and my nerves were gone for the first few months and I could never do it again. There are a good few rented apartments/houses out there now that allow pets so its totally not worth it. And it only takes one old hag of a neighbour who doesn't like dogs (they do exist) and you'll get a knock on your door the next day.

Get a nice place that allows pets and you'll be better off and you can relax instead of having to hide the poor dog all the time. Thats what I've done and its so much better. We can go in and out of the house no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Bear in mind that in many apartment blocks the No Pets rule is coming from the management company, not the letting agent, and your landlord has signed a legal agreement about pets (and other things). If it's a private house, then it's just up to the landlord, but in an apartment building it's probably not their decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

i would be upfront about it too. i have two cats and moved into my flat last august. i was lucky that the landlord didn't have a problem as one of the other tenants in the building already had a cat. but i was all set to move into a place a week before this and, while the landlord had no problem with the cats, the guy living above went mad and threatned to move out if my cats and i moved in!!!! so all it takes is one anti-pet neighbur to rat you out, personally my nerves couldn't take it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

There are a lot of begrudgers out there too. I brought my lab to my apartment for a couple of hours last year (he lives with my folks) and the following week I got a letter from the managment company threatening all sorts. Turns out one of the other residents reported me. The dog hadn't made a sound and was only there for 2/3 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭NedKelly

Hi
    i have a few properties in Dublin and i dont mind pets at all in them
    once the neighbours dont go mad or the dog/cat wrecks the place
    i dont care
    one of my tenants has 3 yellow Pythons , 3 dogs and 2 cats living in a small 3 bed house of mine . he also has a 6 month old baby :eek:
    one of the pythons is over 7 feet long!!!!
    but each to his own !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

but what if there's no such rule or agreement, is it then ok to assume that pets are allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

if it says no pets; difficult.

If it doesn't? We risk it, but then we rent in rural areas always.

Most formal leases say with the landlord's permission if you read the small print.

The place we left a few months ago did not mention pets; we brought our cats and a dog in. There were mice and that helped us greatly of course:)

And the landlord was neglecting a collie which had belonged to his father, which we offered to care for and have with us now.

So he could hardly grumble.

And they have kept this place free of vermin also.

You need to read the lease. Know your landlord also. People are too keen to make trouble in cities etc.

Thankfully there are many who freely allow pets now.

Good luck

electron wrote: »
    but what if there's no such rule or agreement, is it then ok to assume that pets are allowed?

:)

God reward you!

NedKelly wrote: »
    Hi
    i have a few properties in Dublin and i dont mind pets at all in them
    once the neighbours dont go mad or the dog/cat wrecks the place
    i dont care
    one of my tenants has 3 yellow Pythons , 3 dogs and 2 cats living in a small 3 bed house of mine . he also has a 6 month old baby :eek:
    one of the pythons is over 7 feet long!!!!
    but each to his own !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wexford Girl

I also live in an apartment and the lease says no pets allowed but luckily enough my boss owns my apartment and said it was grand to have a pet as long as the place wasn't wrecked by the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

In most parts of Ireland there is an oversupply of rental accommodation, so it's much easier to find a landlord who will allow pets than it has been. I'd absolutely recommend being upfront with the landlord, if this one doesn't allow pets you will find one who will.

I'd also recommend at the start saying you have a spaniel, rather than a cocker, as spaniel sounds more innocent.:) And have an easily accessible picture of your dog looking small and sweet on your phone. We have a pair of springer spaniels and we found it easier to just say spaniels when we were looking for a rental with them. If asked what type of spaniels we wouldn't lie, but we never were. And when the letting agent asked how big they were I showed him the picture that's the background on my phone and he said they were just fine.

Think you omitted a word here? :)

I also live in an apartment and the lease says no pets allowed but luckily enough my boss owns my apartment and said it was grand to have a pet as long as the place was wrecked by the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

iguana wrote: »

I'd also recommend at the start saying you have a spaniel, rather than a cocker, as spaniel sounds more innocent.:) And have an easily accessible picture of your dog looking small and sweet on your phone.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I have been in this situation before both as a landlord and renting myself with a pet dog. Luckily I found a lovely landlady who loved dogs and we got on fine.

I was renting out my own house for a few years and rented to a guy who had two dogs and I had absolutely no problem with it.

The only thing I would say to pet owners who have to rent is maybe try and get a house rather than an apartment and a house with a garden is ideal. Some apartments are quite small and its not fair on the dog especially if its a big dog to be cooped up in an apartment all day.

With the economy the way it is and properties all over the country with for rent signs up plenty of landlords will be only too willing to have someone rent the property from them - pets and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dan.inc

hi, I am thinking of getting a pug for my apartment, has anyone else got one living in an apartment that could give me some advice.

Are they suitable / do they bark alot.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

dan.inc wrote: »
    hi, I am thinking of getting a pug for my apartment, has anyone else got one living in an apartment that could give me some advice.

Are they suitable / do they bark alot.

Thanks

:eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement