Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wanted to hear experiances from people renting with pets. I am about to move into a lovely private ground floor apartment with it's own entrance, but the lease specifies no pets.

I have a cocker spaniel who is absolutely no trouble, and on the advice of a couple of friends who have been in the same boat, I'm neglecting to mention this to the letting agency. Apparently they have found that the 'no pets' rule will only be enforced if the pet turns out to be a nuisance, which I don't think she will be.

The apartment is in a complex covered by CCTV and I have to walk out in view of loads of apartments to walk her.

Does anyone here have secret pets? Or been evicted because of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

You've signed a lease which clearly states no pets and your planning on bringing your dog in to the apartment? Your (knowingly) breaking the lease so of course you can be evicted. Have you thought about the inspections the management companies do? What if a neighbour complains of barking?

They don't put No pets allowed in the lease for no reason :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In our complex we have a similar rule- No pets allowed. Some people who were renting had a dog and other cats. After much too'ing and fro'ing the management company sent a solicitors letter to the landlords concerned, and the tenants were evicted for breach of lease. One tenant who refused to leave had civil proceedings initiated by the landlord (not the management company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Our complex is the same, no pets allowed. Personally I think thats fair for apartment complexes. You don't have access to a private garden (common grounds don't count for your dogs mess tbh) and it's really not good for the dog, unless you have one of those rodent dogs that fits in your handbag. It's bad enough having to listen to noisy neighbours, I certainly don't want to be listening to dogs barking on top of that.

We were renting out our spare room last year and a woman replied to our ad but she told us she has a boxer. She also said her dog would be "no trouble". You can't keep a boxer in a 2-bed apartment. Thats just bloody cruel.

OP, you signed a lease knowing that you would be breaking the agreement before you even moved in. Thats bad form and you would be rightfully evicted if they catch you. Why would you want to start off in your new home with that hanging over you? Why don't you look for a house share? Somewhere with a back garden and space for the dog. If your dog means so much to you that you'll break the terms of your lease, then surely she means enough for you to find somewhere more suitable for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

With the amount of rentals coming onstream, can you not find you and your dog somewhere to live that doesn't explicitly ban pets? It's cruel IMHO to keep a dog in a poky apartment as well.

Advertisement