Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

water on inside of windscreen

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

does this happen to anyone else?
    it only happens in winter, but when i get into the car there's ice outside and water on the inside of the windscreen

when it gets colder that water will turn to ice

what's going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Broken seal so moisture is getting through the windscreen.

Any cracks?

Possibility of holes under the carpet - air moisture getting in.

If you have cracks on your windscreen and have glass cover on your Insurance policy then get your windscreen replaced for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

actually now that i think about it, i think there's a tiny chip in the bottom left. doesn't effect me normally but that might be where it's getting in

i think my policy has windscreen replacement

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could be a number of things. A broken or torn door seal, a worn window seal, water ingress, etc, etc. Check your carpet and see if it's damp.

What's the make/model/year?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

it's a primera from '97

it's still in very good nick really

it can be a serious amount of water on the inside. it's pretty hard to wipe away and very dangerous to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

A '97 primera has a bonded windscreen, so any "seals" visible around the windscreen are purely cosmetic.

If your windscreen is leaving in water, then the headlining inside the car will be wet and possibly stained.If it's coming in at the sides of the windscreen, then you will see stains if you remove the plastic covers from the inside of the a pillars.

A crack in your screen will not leave in water. Your screen has an outer layer of glass, an inner layer of glass and fairly tough plastic in the middle. A crack will just be damage to one, usually the outer layer.

A chip again won't leave in water as the damage is on the outside, unless it has been hit so hard that something has gone right through, but if that happened you would have no doubt that water could get through and you would have bits of glass in the car.

Is the passenger side footwell wet? If so the water is probably getting in through the heater fan.
    Under the left half of the scuttle panel you will see a small panel bolted down covering the heater fan, the seal under this cover fails and allows water in, through the fan, behind the dash and on to the passenger footwell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

my mums car had this, but she was driving around with the fan set to recirculate the air from inside the car, i switched it back to fresh air and it seemed to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Is it not just condensation build up on the inside thats startng to drip down your wind screen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

jozi wrote: »
    Is it not just condensation build up on the inside thats startng to drip down your wind screen?

Give that boy a can of coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

im having the same problem with my 01 golf

really is pissing me off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Give that boy a can of coke!
    Hmmm... is that sarcasm or not :confused:

Condensation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

jozi wrote: »

+1

Was going to say the same thing. Only seems to happen on my car when the outside temp is below zero centigrade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I've the same problem with my car although it's the back window that is literally covered in water droplets when I get in to the car, The other windows will have mist on them but nothing like the back windscreen. The thing is I've a broken seal on the drivers door so doesn't make much sense that the back window is only affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Lads (and indeed lassies), if you're continually getting condensation build up in your car to the point where it is dripping then you have a problem with excess moisture in the cabin or you use the recirculation function too often. Only use the recirc to heat the interior or exclude odours.

The only time I've come across dripping condensation is when there has been water ingress. Dripping condensation is not normal. The inside of a car is supposed to be relatively dry - not laden with moisture that cause condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Might it be possibly the pollen filter (on newer cars) causing it.
    I had an '02 Focus with that problem (at the time I knew nothing about pollen filters or what they were).
    It was so bad the water built up under the carpet.
    Tho I suspect this maybe to do with a leaky windscreen.Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Brabus wrote: »
    Might it be possibly the pollen filter (on newer cars) causing it.
    I had an '02 Focus with that problem (at the time I knew nothing about pollen filters or what they were).
    It was so bad the water built up under the carpet.
    Tho I suspect this maybe to do with a leaky windscreen.Just a thought.

It was nothing to do with a leaking windscreen.

The last shape Focus had a problem with the design of the scuttle panel, it actually had to be glued to the bottom of the windscreen, and this seal often fails, leaving water down through the pollen filter.
    Ford were aware of the problem and even redesigned the scuttle panel to address the problem.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I had this a year or 2 back. Got 3 or 4 nicely sized bags of silica gel. Put one at each door, one on the boot tray, and one just underneath my radio. Seemed to have done the trick, or at least hindered it alot.....

until yesterday. After freezing cold conditions and not driving my car for a few days I came back to see the inside had a nice coat of droplets. Im going to chalk that down to the weather and infrequent use of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

its the mixed weather that causes this, Wet dry, hot cold, wet damp freezing, were having these days, if you look round a carpark every secont car around 7/8yrs + is baddly fogged up, my car suffers from this,
    If however your windscreen is fogging up comstantly esp when driving then your pollen filter is damp or your heater matrix in the dash is leaking steam pressure out. This can be a bit of a big deal to fix/replace

Advertisement