Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car almost failed NCT on rear axel

Options
  • 06-12-2008 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

My car passed the nct a while ago now but i was just looking through the paperwork to see that the car almost failed on rear axel imbalance. The limit is no more then 30% my car was 29% its a vw golf 2004 old shape. Can anyone tell me what would cause this to be so much or what i could do to fix the problem.

thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

That's not much detail, do you mean brakes or what

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You could do the same test an hour later and find the imbalance to be quite different. I wouldn't worry too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Paddy001 wrote: »
    That's not much detail, do you mean brakes or what

Its on the suspension section of the nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

I had a 24% imbalance and there was no noticeable effect while driving!

Were both of your rear tyres at the same pressure??? That can actually make a difference in that part of the test.

Remember to always replace your shocks in pairs when they do go!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Usually, you won't notice any imbalance in the rear wheels when driving, even if there is a serious problem. More than likely your control arm bushings are worn which allows too much movement in the wheel. If this is the case, you'll be looking at about €150 to get them replaced. Was the inbalance the same on both side of the car?

• Advertisement

Usually, you won't notice any imbalance in the rear wheels when driving, even if there is a serious problem. More than likely your control arm bushings are worn which allows too much movement in the wheel. If this is the case, you'll be looking at about €150 to get them replaced. Was the inbalance the same on both side of the car?

No the imbalance is as follows on sheet

Suspension test
    Rear axel Nearside 45Mm Offside 32Mm imbalance 29%
    Front Axel Nearside 31Mm Offside 30Mm imbalance 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The car is probably fine, but it wouldn't do any harm to have it checked. I'm suprised the NCT centre didn't give you any advice on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

rear shocks I would guess. The mk4 doesnt have independent rear suspension - so not much else can go wrong back there

Thanks for the help all.

Advertisement