Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Recall - Trying To Get A Refund Thread

Options
  • 06-12-2008 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

thought with this recall of all irish pork it would be useful to have a thread here, for people to report back on how they got on in trying to get a refund.

they can then name and shame those who don't

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

thank god you made this thread

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

I never realised and bout pork this evening in tesco in clarehall. hopefully they will give me a refund on it.

Will let you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I have about 18 Euro of sliced ham bought today from the deli, so will be bringing it back on Monday for a refund, am a regular in the deli so will be :mad: if I don't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Posting as a retailer:
    Were as much in the dark as the consumers, we haven't even been told what farms were effected and only found out through the news, but I'd like to assure people that any shop that is a member of the Craft Butchers of Ireland will do their utmost to inform you of the safety of their stock. Pork suppliers, as I type this, are in the process of tracking those animals that may have been effected and to what retailers they were sent too.

A full recall is ridiculous, lack of information and no communication by the FSA, it sounds more like the farms that were effected were possibly supplying a major meat company (I'm speculating here but a full recall from small butcher shops is very extreme and it suggests the contaminated farms did not keep up to date traceability records)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

The most relevant paragraph of the statement from the FSAI is: The food industry is therefore required to recall from the market all Irish pork products produced from pigs slaughtered in Ireland.

Maybe consumers are unaware that a considerable quantity of the bacon/pork products on sale both in retail and hospitality(hotels/prestaurants/take aways) is not from Irish slaughtered pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If anyone cant get a refund let me know. Ill take it off your hands and eat it. BSE didnt stop me and neither will this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Posting as a retailer:
    Were as much in the dark as the consumers, we haven't even been told what farms were effected and only found out through the news, but I'd like to assure people that any shop that is a member of the Craft Butchers of Ireland will do their utmost to inform you of the safety of their stock. Pork suppliers, as I type this, are in the process of tracking those animals that may have been effected and to what retailers they were sent too.

A full recall is ridiculous, lack of information and no communication by the FSA, it sounds more like the farms that were effected were possibly supplying a major meat company (I'm speculating here but a full recall from small butcher shops is very extreme and it suggests the contaminated farms did not keep up to date traceability records)

Will you be refunding?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Will you be refunding?

Yes if anyone comes back to me they will be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Maybe consumers are unaware that a considerable quantity of the bacon/pork products on sale both in retail and hospitality(hotels/prestaurants/take aways) is not from Irish slaughtered pigs.

When I read the recall was been backdated to September I thought about all the pork products I consumed since that time and concluded "Oh oh"...

Then I thought about just how much of that pork likely came from Irish pigs...;)

So another blow to the economy during the recession and another reason to shop up north...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Yes if anyone comes back to me they will be refunded.

Who pays for that? I mean, how far up the chain of supply will that refund be honoured, or does your insurance cover that then?

There's going to be a significant 'good will' burden on a lot of small butchers, if there's nothing in place to pass the refunds back up the chain (presumably, ultimately to the feed providers?).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Stekelly wrote: »
    If anyone cant get a refund let me know. Ill take it off your hands and eat it. BSE didnt stop me and neither will this
    Send me down some if you get to much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Got a refund this morning in Tesco Talbot St. 3lbs of Gold Medal and 3 Packs of Tender Cure bacon. Had the receipt and were unopened, bought yesterday. No problems. Shelves were stripped of all pork but they had missed a few things like freshways pre-packed ham sandwiches, Denny ham and mushroom pies, etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Any word on weather receipts are required, or packages have to be unopened etc?

Luckily I've only a few sausages and some pudding, but I'm sure if someone had stocked up they may not have receipts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I ended up buying our christmas ham yesterday in dunnes, along with another piece of bacon for today's dinner and some other pork stuff. I'd say all in all i spent over €50 on pork products ... will be highly annoyed if I can't get a refund.

As my dh said, the product is deffective, so should be able to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,494 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Doesnt bacon in Lidl come from england? Got some sussex address on package. Sorry for going off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Bought a ham yesterday in Supervalu - a weekly purchase as I cook it for salads and sandwiches for all and sundry going to their daily toil. It works out cheaper than eating out on a daily basis! I am going to try and return unopened ham to the local Supervalu today and see how I get on. Located in County Galway.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Doesnt bacon in Lidl come from england? Got some sussex address on package. Sorry for going off topic

I have bought ham in Lidl in the past and it is gorgeous. There is nothing on the packaging to suggest it is from Ireland. The product I bought yesterday in Supervalu has bord bia and Irishness all over it. So back it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,494 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Another score for Lidl !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

have a couple of chops and a some sausages in the freezer but in open packets , so not too bad. Id nearly eat them. Nearly, as all this talk is making me really want a fry for breakfast :D

Only found out about this when i got a txt from someone in a hotel saying they couldnt have a fry becasue of it.

From what i read on fsai.ie seems that due to the fact all the meat is slaughtered and processed in the same place they cant trace the good and bad from there. hence the scale of the recall. As said though i'm sure most local butchers would know where their produce came from and was processed.

from fsai.ie
    Dioxins in pork and bacon products

Why have Irish pork and bacon products been recalled from the market?

Irish produced pigmeat has recently tested positive for the presence of dioxins. As all Irish pigs are slaughtered and processed at the same processing plants, it is impossible to differentiate between products that have tested positive and those that have not. In the interest of consumer safety, all pork and pork products have therefore been recalled.

How does food become contaminated with dioxins?

Dioxin contamination of food can occur from two sources. The main source is feed that contains contaminated components. The second source is contamination that comes from the environment where animals may be kept.

How has Irish pork and bacon become contaminated with dioxins?

Animal feed, from one source, which recently tested positive for dioxins, was distributed to a number of pig farms and fed to the pigs.

What are dioxins?

Dioxins are persistent chemical contaminants in the environment. Although there are natural sources of dioxins such as forest fires, dioxins are usually formed as by-products of certain industrial combustion and chemical processes.

What are ‘persistent' chemicals?

Persistent chemicals are highly resistant to breakdown processes, and therefore persist in the environment, followed by uptake into the food chain.

Can dioxins cause cancer?

There is evidence to suggest that exposure to dioxins at very high levels (following industrial accidents) has been associated with an increase in the incidence of cancer in humans.

Are there maximum levels set for dioxins in food?

Maximum levels (MLs) for dioxins are set by Commission Regulation No 1881/2006, the framework EU legislation which sets maximum levels for chemical contaminants in foodstuffs. MLs are set at a very low level (as low as reasonably achievable for the particular foodstuff in question), in order to ensure that consumers' health is not affected by consuming these products.

Are there maximum levels set for dioxins in feed?

Yes. Separate legislation applies to levels of dioxins and PCBs in animal feeds, since this is another important source of contamination of the human food chain.

What levels were found in the pigmeat?

The samples tested indicated a wide range of dioxin levels, all above the maximum levels set by legislation.

How were the dioxins found?

The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (DAFF) discovered the presence of marker PCBs, indicative of dioxin contamination, in pork fat during routine monitoring of the food chain for a range of contaminants. Samples were sent to a laboratory in the UK for further analysis to determine if there were dioxins present. Results have confirmed that dioxins were present in the samples.

Is any routine sampling carried out or was this found by accident?

The FSAI, in collaboration with its official agencies, carries out regular checks on levels of dioxins and PCBs in the food chain. Approximately 70 samples of pig fat are analysed for PCBs annually. Previously, the results of these checks have shown that the levels in Irish food are generally low compared with other industrialised countries.

Are other meat products affected?

Samples of other meats have not tested positive for dioxins to date.

Should consumers be concerned?

Even though it is illegal for dioxins to be present in foodstuffs, any possible risk to consumer health is extremely low.

Do dioxins affect children?

Children are expected to be affected by dioxins in the same way as adults, although they may be more sensitive.

Could I have been exposed to dioxins?

Consumers are exposed to dioxins at low levels on a daily basis from a potentially wide range of sources including car emissions, smoking and fires. Until now, surveillance work undertaken by the FSAI indicates that the general exposure of consumers in Ireland is low when compared to other European countries, and well below the maximum intake established by international risk assessment bodies.

To ensure consumers are fully protected, this maximum intake level also incorporates very large safety margins compared to any level that might cause effects in experimental animals. Therefore, any increased exposure to dioxins for a short period is highly unlikely to lead to any health effects.

If I have eaten an affected product, has my health been damaged?

There is no risk of immediate illness. If you have eaten an affected product the risk is likely to be very small, however not eating it any more is a sensible thing to do. It is continued high level exposure over time that gives cause for concern.

If the risk is very small why are all pork and bacon products removed from sale?

Dioxins are toxic and persistent and consumers should not be exposed to them unnecessarily. It is also illegal in foods.

Could I have some products at home that contain dioxins?

The following products could possibly be contaminated.

Pork

Bacon

Rashers

Pork sausages

Sausage meat

Gammon steaks

Offal from pigs

Salami

Ham

Sausage rolls

Black pudding

White pudding

Ready meals with Irish pork/bacon as an ingredient

It is advisable to not to eat any products that may be contaminated.

The worst part of all this is that I was going to buy a couple of lb's os sausages in the butchers beside work on Friday and never got a chance to go back, now this.:mad:

I hope he still has some left tommorow he's willing to sell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The worst part of all this is that I was going to buy a couple of lb's os sausages in the butchers beside work on Friday and never got a chance to go back, now this.:mad:

hmmmmmmmm looks like there is a maket for my frozen one's

bbl im off over to ebay for a bit :D

just read on rte they expect pork back by xmas so i think ill hold off selling till demand peaks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

attaboy ste. that cancer stuff doest apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Just have a look in his bins out the back and you can get them for free. Dumpster meat ftw.

cgarvey wrote: »
    Who pays for that? I mean, how far up the chain of supply will that refund be honoured, or does your insurance cover that then?

There's going to be a significant 'good will' burden on a lot of small butchers, if there's nothing in place to pass the refunds back up the chain (presumably, ultimately to the feed providers?).

Its a grey area and we won't know until Monday, this could be dragged out for weeks, no one knows who's accountable for this in the end personally I blame the feed provider but there's no chance in hell that company will be able to afford the damages to the entire country's meat suppliers and shops.

A lot of small shops that didn't take any precautions insurance wise or kept any sort of backup cash there in serious trouble, as I said this could take weeks to sort out even if a shop has insurance and small butcher shops can't afford a loss of 20-30k. If this had happened any time after January to August it wouldn't be bad at all, but all shops are sitting on their stockpiles of hams for Christmas and were told to dump all of them and start from scratch. That's 2 and a half months of work gone - no compensation for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I think the best thing we can do as a nation is support the affected businesses in the run up to Christmas, if we can't have our sausages etc, then buy alternative meats from them. I personally would not like to see all our small butchers go to the wall over this. Tescos et all must be rubbing their hands with glee over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Im a retailer as well and its a joke that it was only announced on a sat when there are no suppliers available or "authorities", this is a huge recall and i removed about €500 worth from my small shop, this will cost alot of jobs while we wait to see who foots the bill.

Its the small suppliers that i feel sorry for, a lot of them will go to the wall over this.

attaboy ste. that cancer stuff doest apply to you.

Everything gives you cancer these days.

I dont smoke so I figure having meat as the main part of my diet is at worst levelling the playing field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

u can get Polish bacon in Lidl...

there is also Polish ham in Polish shops, as well as sousages from Poland :)

I know as well that some Irish butchers are importing meat - pork from Poland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Christmas ham is going to be so much dearer now after this, I feel soort for the small butchers that it is going to hit.

Looking at the list, there is a lot more than the obvious pork products, sandwiches and pizzas etc, how many of the pizzeria's will this effect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Before you go running back too the shop with your ham products, just check this too see if there are affected...

Anything with IE should be brought back

If its Uk etc.. its fine..

Small attachment.

Also, refunds will be given out too customers. And have to be given.

Advertisement