Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Recall - Trying To Get A Refund Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

msg11 wrote: »
    Before you go running back too the shop with your ham products, just check this too see if there are affected...

Anything with IE should be brought back

If its Uk etc.. its fine..

Also, refunds will be given out too customers. And have to be given.

Only Republic of Ireland pork products have been recalled
    When it comes to EU meat labelling;
    IE is Northern Ireland IRL is the Republic

NI pork is also being withdrawn
    Nine NI farms used tainted feed. The UK's Food Standards Agency has said pork from the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland should not be eaten.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7770097.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Danno wrote: »
    I think the best thing we can do as a nation is support the affected businesses in the run up to Christmas, if we can't have our sausages etc, then buy alternative meats from them. I personally would not like to see all our small butchers go to the wall over this. Tescos et all must be rubbing their hands with glee over this.

Why would Tesco be rubbing their hands with glee at this?

Yes they should have insurance against this but, people will demand no quibble refunds and probably compo from the big four.

I think people should think twice about going back to their local butcher demanding their refund, maybe your butcher could do a swap for you.

Still though I'm glad I'm a veggie, only pesticides for me to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Is it really any better buying meat from a different country.
    We have the best standards in the world ,do other countries have the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Still though I'm glad I'm a veggie, only pesticides for me to worry about.

Veggies and muslims and all other non-pork eaters are lucky and are probably laughing at us meat eaters! "haha, we told you it was wrong to eat pork"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

KatCookie wrote: »
    Veggies and muslims and all other non-pork eaters are lucky and are probably laughing at us meat eaters! "haha, we told you it was wrong to eat pork"

Nothing wrong with eating pork, just pork contaminated with PCBs.

I listened to RTE news program this morning and not once did they mention refunds, the advice (or instructions) given out over and over during the program was for consumers to destroy any pork products in their fridges/freezers. They even clarified that you could simply "chuck in in your grey bin". Bloody disgraceful if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

Supermarket chain Tesco has said it will refund customers on all Tesco-branded pork and bacon products (Tesco, Tesco Value and Tesco Finest).

At this stage, they will not provide refunds on other branded products. The position of other retailers regarding refunds is not yet clear.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1207/pork.html

also farms in northern ireland are affected, see link above.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I just brought back all the pork products I purchased in Dunnes yesterday. No problems at all, I didn't even have to produce a receipt. There was no quibbles, and apart from dunnes branded, there were denny products too. Also, they took back an opened pack of ham!

Have to say, it means Dunnes will keep me as a shopper.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Didnt Cappoquin (Irish company) Chickens close because it couldnt compete with foreign imports. Practically everyone I know eats Chinese, Indian ,Kentucky, McDonalds. Where do they think the chicken and pork comes from? The far east, China, Vietnam.....Somehow I would think they contain a lot more toxins and crap than Irish pork. Thats why I never eat take away crap:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ian Beale wrote: »
    A full recall is ridiculous, lack of information and no communication by the FSA, it sounds more like the farms that were effected were possibly supplying a major meat company (I'm speculating here but a full recall from small butcher shops is very extreme and it suggests the contaminated farms did not keep up to date traceability records)

Totally agree, I understand that the FSA and Brendan Smyth were panicked into this yesterday because a Cork or Limerick journalist had 1/4 of the story .

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Lurker

I think that when the dust settles that traceability will stand up. I dont think that you will find that there has been "mixing" at plant level but that because all product is going through the same plant on the same product run, then there could be no guarantee that there was not trace mixing , however small. This is normal production and not because of error at processor levels.

I am unsure why there was a global call back, wait until tomorrow when all the organics and small butchers start squealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Its a total overreaction and unfortunately will cost alot of jobs all because they are covering their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

I'll probably eat my pork anyways, pigs eat everything anyways -cant they get rid of a human body and not leave any traces? a bit of plastic isnt gonna kill me!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I bought sausages in superquinn late yesterday afternoon - did they know about this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Just got a refund for some pork steak bought yesterday. Had receipt and was told no problem.

Tuna for dinner tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,768 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Went to Tescos with Dennys Rashers & Sausages and they refused to refund me, but said hang onto receipt and check with them tomorrow, also brought back a chicken joint which had pork stuffing, produced in northern ireland they did refund me that as it was Tescos branded. Bit silly that they wouldn't refund me for the Denny produce, as technically they sold it to me when it was not fit for human consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Maybe tescos aren't sure where denny's meat comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I don't get where Tesco are coming from on this...

Do they not have to refund you, once you ask for your money, back?

And I think the reason is good ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Shelflife wrote: »
    Its a total overreaction and unfortunately will cost alot of jobs all because they are covering their arses.

I don't see it as an over-reaction. Britain took no action on BSE until people got ill and then their beef industry was destroyed and still suffers dreadfully.

The moment Irish authorites got the results, they acted, even though the health risk is tiny - I won't be returning anything and won't be chucking it either. However if a total recall was not ordered, the press would have had a field day and eventually the authorities would have to had recalled all pork products and this would have cost tens of millions and the irish pork industry would be decimated.

Now anyone who is remotely concerned can be assured that any pork in the stores from next week is 100% safe and as such confidence in the industry will not be affected.

Internationally, the quick recall decision without any delay has been received very well.

Internationally, ,the quick recall decision without any delay has been received very well.

thats the point, it wasnt quick they waited a week until they issued a half arsed recall on a sat when there are no suppliers around to call and the offices are shut.

its a poor decision because not all of the products are affected yet they have destroyed the whole pig processing industry with the swish of a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

thats the point, it wasnt quick they waited a week until they issued a half arsed recall on a sat when there are no suppliers around to call and the offices are shut.

When is a good time to issue such a recall?
    If they did at say 11AM on Monday people would say it was a bad time as there are customers in the shop mid-purchase causing confusion, stock is en route in vans which have to go back to depots after wasted trips etc.
    8AM, and they'd be accused of causing panic around the breakfast table (and doubtless some nutjob from Ballygobackwards would throw a basin of water over her frying pan to stop the airborne cancers).

There was no good time, but I think 8.30PM on a Saturday was probably the least worst time they could have chosen to announce it.

• Advertisement

Yeah after the weekly shop was done and when the retailers couldnt get in touch with any suppliers.

if it was as important to get the news out quickly then it should have been done on mon as asoon as the results were known.

clearly all pork products havent been tainted yet the recall is for all pork products that doesnt make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

clearly all pork products havent been tainted yet the recall is for all pork products that doesnt make sense.
    Yea they've decided to change their minds on that :rolleyes: have a look at my post below.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58176586&postcount=414

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

My main issue with this whole thing was that it was not our own safety checks etc that sparked this , from what i gather it was the italian authorities that notified our bodies of the problem. It worries me our own checks didnt catch this sooner, high standards or tracability etc or not.

As for the topic of refunds i see even a giant like tesco were refusing refunds on branded products like denny. This is fine until the facts become clear etc later today, but a real show of bad faith on their part.

As far as im concerned once the facts are out none of of the pork effected is fit for the purpose for which it was sold .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Bah, what an over reaction.
    I enjoyed my full Irish at a breakfast in a hotel in the republic yesterday fully aware of this scare.
    Unless you hook a constant stream to your veins for years you'll be grand. I still have some pudding and sausages in the fridge and I'll be having a nice breakfast the weekend and some bangers and mash some evening.

However the authorities had to do this as the level, however minute, was still over the agreed levels but they could have narrowed it down by batch etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭lynchie

Jip wrote: »
    Bah, what an over reaction.
    I enjoyed my full Irish at a breakfast in a hotel in the republic yesterday fully aware of this scare.
    Unless you hook a constant stream to your veins for years you'll be grand. I still have some pudding and sausages in the fridge and I'll be having a nice breakfast the weekend and some bangers and mash some evening.

However the authorities had to do this as the level, however minute, was still over the agreed levels but they could have narrowed it down by batch etc.

Im with you on that one. Ill not be throwing any meat out. Have plenty of pork products in the freezer including some ham which will be cooked for Christmas. Have pork chops in the fridge for tonight's dinner which I intend to enjoy. Just need to find somewhere to get sausages and pudding for a fry up next Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why would anyone even want a refund, or throw out perfectly good meat? I know I'll be enjoying my Denny carvery ham roll this evening, without worrying one bit about all this scare mongering.

Besides, eating processed food, like sausages, every day, will do far more harm than these traces of carcinogens. Just like the BSE scare, it's a load of bollox.

Smoking is a guaranteed killer, of thousands of people, every year. Yet millions of people still smoke, every day. Perhaps we should just hint that smoking might have an ill effect on your health, and everybody would stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

jor el wrote: »
    Smoking is a guaranteed killer, of thousands of people, every year. Yet millions of people still smoke, every day. Perhaps we should just hint that smoking might have an ill effect on your health, and everybody would stop.

Exactly, how many people who are throwing out pork products are smokers ? Dioxins are present in their system along with alot worse already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Jip wrote: »
    Exactly, how many people who are throwing out pork products are smokers ? Dioxins are present in their system along with alot worse already.

Yep, everyone needs to step back from the hype and take stock of their situation.

If you are one of the people who has dumped, or returned, pork products because of this scare, and you are a smoker, then you are pretty much a moron.

The FSA have handled the whole thing very badly. Issuing a recall late on a Saturday night, when there is no immediate risk (this is a long term risk issue), was stupid. A warning that people stop consuming pork products, rather than a full recall accompanied with no real information to retailers and consumers as to what they should actually do, would have been better. There's three months of contaminated products already been consumed, another week ain't going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Doesn't look like anyone will be dropping dead of poisoned pig anytime soon...

Alan Reilly, of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI), said the safe levels of these dioxins are set over a full life time of exposure.

“You’d have to be eating products containing these levels for 40 years before you’d show any signs of illness,” he said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Aww FFS ... what a jip ... why dont they recall all the cigarettes too then .. apparently they kill people aswell

Advertisement