Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

who's responsible?

Options
  • 06-12-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

For example (i've seen this twice in the last week - luckily theres been no accidents)
    I'm driving down the left lane on the m50 or any major road - we approach an exit and beside me (to my left on the off ramp) theres an idiot who's decided he doesnt want to leave at that exit and pulls straight out in front of me giving me no time to react. If i did go into the side or back of him, whos getting the lovely big bill that goes with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

that would be there fault. if you're in the lane and they move in then there's nothing you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Something similar happened to me this evening.

Some old bird came out of a side road onto a two lane road I was on. I was in the right lane doing around 60kph. She came straight into my lane without looking. I had to step on the brakes, skidded a bit and blew her out of it. I got a massive fright, she did not even bat and eyelid. Other drivers were blowing the horn shouting and making gestures to her because of this.

You know what? If I hit her it would likely be my fault.

Both of us would be blue in the face to try and claim it was dangerous/careless driving on their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

For example (i've seen this twice in the last week - luckily theres been no accidents) I'm driving down the left lane on the m50 or any major road - we approach an exit and beside me (to my left on the off ramp) theres an idiot who's decided he doesnt want to leave at that exit and pulls straight out in front of me giving me no time to react. If i did go into the side or back of him, whos getting the lovely big bill that goes with it?
    If you hit someone, you're placed in a position of having to prove yourself innocent. In that situation there would be some good circs pushing blame over on to the other guy, assuming there were independent witnesses to support you. Being a really good driver means making extraordinary allowances for the faults of others. To stay out of trouble, takes a form of telepathy based on years of seeing every kind of stupidity.

For example, today, I'm waiting to turn right at traffic lights, they go amber. did I assume the oncoming driver, who had ample time and space to stop, would do so? No, I waited & was not surprised when she just carried on through as if the lights were green.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I had to step on the brakes, skidded a bit and blew her out of it.

I thought the brakes didn't work in that 'thing' you drive.

you were probably going so slow, she thought you were a bollard anyway..:D

(I'm kidding)

SteveC wrote: »
    I thought the brakes didn't work in that 'thing' you drive.

you were probably going so slow, she thought you were a bollard anyway..:D

(I'm kidding)

I was even driving with my dipped headlights on(as always). Silly old broad.

Brakes? Me? Must be thinking of someone else.

"Thing", Your defo thinking of someone else. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

"Thing", Your defo thinking of someone else. :cool:
    Actually I was thinking of someone else :o sorry!

Actually I was thinking of someone else :o sorry!

If you are at the Motors Meet then you will see I dont drive a "thing". If you do think I drive a thing then my brakes may just fail when I arrive near your car. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=1485

Hi guys

For example (i've seen this twice in the last week - luckily theres been no accidents)
    I'm driving down the left lane on the m50 or any major road - we approach an exit and beside me (to my left on the off ramp) theres an idiot who's decided he doesnt want to leave at that exit and pulls straight out in front of me giving me no time to react. If i did go into the side or back of him, whos getting the lovely big bill that goes with it?
    To get back on topic...

Legally, the person who is changing lanes must yield to traffic already in that lane. If you did collide with him, you would be substantially not to blame for the incident. There are other factors that would be considered though such as weather, visibility and traffic volume but at the end of the day, it was up to them to make sure there was sufficient room before starting to change lanes.

Cool, you drive an Aldi..:D nice.

Cool, you drive an Aldi..:D nice.

:mad: Arrrggghhh

Yes, back to topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

It's funny, my dad just mentioned how often he sees this in the Naas road. He doesn't understand why people don't just go off on the off ramp and on back down the on ramp on the other side. It's safer and less stressful.

• Advertisement

tywy wrote: »
    It's funny, my dad just mentioned how often he sees this in the Naas road. He doesn't understand why people don't just go off on the off ramp and on back down the on ramp on the other side. It's safer and less stressful.
    I agree but unfortunately this requires a level of forward thinking that a lot of drivers on our roads seem incapable of.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you are at the Motors Meet then you will see I dont drive a "thing". If you do think I drive a thing then my brakes may just fail when I arrive near your car. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=304&pictureid=1485
    Your car is a weird shape!

kbannon wrote: »
    Your car is a weird shape!

The gallery forcefully changed the size of the picture to 600x600

Here is a normal picture of it.
    PICT0529.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Nice motor Quirke folder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The foreshortening affect the resize had on that photo made it look like an Audi badged Nissan Figaro!

Advertisement