Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talkin' 'bout a revolution.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Just curious, of you people who are protesting, how many of you voted in the last general election?

Two. One said yes and the other said no because we didn't want to have too much impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Brutal weather out today. More than likely for a while. Lets face it: God is taking sides with The Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

despite the overwhelming options for yes, and only 2 for no.. can we call this one..

revolution fail.

ok, i'll leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Whats the point? Everyone is gonna vote for Fianna Fail again anyway "coz the local man does a good job". Even half the people who want to protest probably voted Fianna Fail in the last election and will do again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Just curious, of you people who are protesting, how many of you voted in the last general election?
    I probably did.

stovelid wrote: »
    Brutal weather out today. More than likely for a while. Lets face it: God is taking sides with The Man.

Bastard that he is.
    It has already been decided that we need more time to work this out.
    It can't be held during the Summer though. The extended Dail holidays and all that.

Also, no btards and Simpson's chants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Great, enjoy paying double the taxes to cover the non contributory pensions of lifers in the public sector so, while the country languishes under an ever increasing amount of debt.

Trust the Irish to get militant over money, not such a harmless little nation after all. In the unlikely unlikely event that you make this happen (I trust this will be a rebellion Robert Emmet style, 80 people get drunk, show up, turn over a vehicle and feck off back to the pub) once you say something along the lines of "Do your jobs or go to jail!" it's all over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

grasshopa wrote: »
    Trust the Irish to get militant over money, not such a harmless little nation after all. In the unlikely unlikely event that you make this happen (I trust this will be a rebellion Robert Emmet style, 80 people get drunk, show up, turn over a vehicle and feck off back to the pub) once you say something along the lines of "Do your jobs or go to jail!" it's all over
    Okay lets take a hypothetical. Lets say the government has been jacking up the wages of the public sector at three times the rate of the private sector for the last ten years, even though they started at parity. Lets say they have also hired on tens of thousands of new people into the public sector at the same time. And lets assume, for the sake of argument, they managed to pay for all this by some miraculous infusion of cash, a property boom maybe. And why not, lets throw in the concept that services hadn't improved at all in the intervening period.

Now, the cash is all spent and gone, and this hypothetical Ireland is left with a massive annual deficit which will continue to grow forever. Why will it continue forever? Because all of the public sector workers are militantly unionised, and if you try to fire them or freeze/reduce their wages, they will bring the entire country to a grinding halt. Why you would have tens of thousands of say teachers for example marching in the streets over a reduction in classroom sizes that still left them larger than they were only a few years ago, if you could credit such a thing!

They have more than enough power to hold everybody else in the country to ransom in a very real sense, while at the same time crippling the future prospects for the country's development, for current and future generations, because they couldn't give a tinkers damn about anyone else.

Now lets say you weren't prepared to allow that to happen.

In this hypothetical world, nothing to do with reality of course, what steps would you, president Grasshoppa, take to rectify the situation in as expedient a fashion as possible, while serving the best interests of the people who elected you and the future of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Terry wrote: »
    Also, no btards and Simpson's chants.

Is "Fry's dog" not allowed either? :(

javaboy wrote: »
    Is "Fry's dog" not allowed either? :(
    Only if you agree to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The greatest acomplishment we could hope to achieve is another election. It doesnt matter who gets voted in next time. It will surely be an incentive to them that if they mess up they will end up out like the last crowd.

If we dont do anything then there is no incentive for the parties to improve their act. They act like they can do anything in the first couple of years in power and sit back in the knowledge that they are safe.

It really is the only option left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Cant help thinking about Fianna Fail every time I see Kenny Craig...... in this scene Sally Hawkins plays all the muppet people who vote for them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Right so, walked down there at 12.30 today (needed a walk anyway) and there didn't seem to be anyone protesting. Looked a bit dodgy walking past the place a couple of times to check and make sure there was actually nobody there, so I gave up and just came back to work. I done a sneaky spit on the ground when the cops weren't looking at me though if that was any help.

Really though, last week in January would be better as you could organise well in advance and also probably get permission to protest if you needed. Would also be better to tie it in with any others willing to protest (students for example) rather than just five of us turning up like something from Father Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

We all doin what we can...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I'd be interested in signing up, it's about time the Irish people grew a backbone, as my dad says, it's the only country in the world where people complain about the price of a pint as they're ordering one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd be very willing to voice my discontent but a trip to Dublin is out of the question.

Domo230 wrote: »
    So whens this going down?

The people need a date or at least some news as to wtf is going on.
    Yeah, the date is a bit up in the air at the moment.
    Probably some time in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Christy wrote:
    There's thirty people on the bridge and they're standing in the rain
    They caught my eye as I passed them by, they tried to explain
    Why they were standing there, I did not want to hear
    When trouble gets too close to home, my anger turns to fear

With my eyes turned to the ground I moved along
    I covered up my ears and I held my tongue
    The rain poured down relentlessly upon the picket line
    And the empty words fell from my lips, "Your troubles are not mine"
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Awesome, sounds good. As as student, I feel as though I'd fit into this revolution.

I shall go for the craic... only if its on a Monday though, thats a good time for me :D.

Do we get to go for a few pints afterwards? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

i would love to march on the dail, would need loadsa notice tho, work, wife, babies... all lookin for a piece of me! Would a large mail/email shot to gov ministers and td's be worth considering, in the interim, to wish them a not so happy christmas from the pissed off citizens? after the dail returns from xmas holls, are there any significant dates in late jan/feb that have historical revolutionary relevance like James Connolly or other figures/events? Historians... start your engines

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This is a great idea. Why do I never read stickies?
    Can we have Galway arm of the revolution please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Great idea Terry.
    Sounds like it could be a success with the right bit of organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

marzic wrote: »
    i would love to march on the dail, would need loadsa notice tho, work, wife, babies... all lookin for a piece of me! Would a large mail/email shot to gov ministers and td's be worth considering, in the interim, to wish them a not so happy christmas from the pissed off citizens? after the dail returns from xmas holls, are there any significant dates in late jan/feb that have historical revolutionary relevance like James Connolly or other figures/events? Historians... start your engines

That would be a great idea to have it on some historical day, preferrably something thats not a national holiday that could become one if the march is a success. Wasent there something important that happened around easter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think events as thsy are unfolding in this country at the moment will overtake this thread soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Terry wrote: »
    Would you be willing ot take part in this revolution?

I'll make an announcement and plan one for Monday.
    Would you be up for that?

If I did it, would people actually show up?

Edit:
    I have been offered 10,000 flyers for this event if it happens on the 15th.
    I intend to take my protest to the Dail on the 8th anyway and will follow it up on the 15th.

This protest is not in any way endorsed by boards.ie.
    Boards.ie is not a political organisation.
    The fact that this thread exists is through me abusing my powers as a moderator.

Hehe yeah.... so ill bring the pork and beef i gots on the cheap, couyple of balaclavas and some other roit misc supplys...

on a serious note...

Sure yeah lets go make revolution happen... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

Count me in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

good idea.
    I think the Irish public in general are walkovers, I'm not recommending something like what happened in France or Greece but a peaceful process cant do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

will there be a chant, "boards against Cowens hoards". id go if theres enough people maybe we could stage a coup, i wouldnt mind being taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

bigstar wrote: »
    will there be a chant, "boards against Cowens hoards". id go if theres enough people maybe we could stage a coup, i wouldnt mind being taoiseach

Overlord. You'll never run a coup d'etat without the right terminology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

WOOHOO Social Unrest!!!

We'll fight em on the streets
    we'll fight em in the counryside
    We'll fight em outside the Dail!!!!

Viva la Resistance!!!

• Advertisement

bigstar wrote: »
    No silly chants please.
    We are not /b/tards trying to take down scientology and then going parkouring near trinners loike.

HouseHippo wrote: »
    WOOHOO Social Unrest!!!

We'll fight em on the streets
    we'll fight em in the counryside
    We'll fight em outside the Dail!!!!

Viva la Resistance!!!

Not WW2 either.

All help is appreciated.

Silly chants are not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement