Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talkin' 'bout a revolution.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

It's called a .....joke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd like to see some semblance of sanity in this thread and not the usual post whoring/oneupmanship which usually occurs here.

Time to get rid of the thanks system in AH, I think. Everyone's a ****ing comedian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Great - i have my banner made up and everything !! cant wait!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Democracy doesn't work man. Coup it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Nigsy

Time something was done, we are raidly approaching a totalitarian police state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Time to get rid of the thanks system in AH, I think. Everyone's a ****ing comedian.

i thought the whole thread , which seems to be about a boards.ie led revolution ( no less) was comedic? There are very few political heads in here explainng the constutional error of your ways, the problems with bypassing the Oireachtas with street politics. France we are not. And much more.

Surely you dont want serious discussion? Surely a revolution led by internet forum posters was a joke thread designed to garner some humorous responses.

say it is so, Joe.

asdasd wrote: »
    i thought the whole thread , which seems to be about a boards.ie led revolution ( no less) was comedic? There are very few political heads in here explainng the constutional error of your ways, the problems with bypassing the Oireachtas with street politics. France we are not. And much more.

Surely you dont want serious discussion? Surely a revolution led by internet forum posters was a joke thread designed to garner some humorous responses.

say it is so, Joe.
    I don't know. I was drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time.
    I got some support, so decided to go with it.

Do you not think it's time people got up off their arses and did something about the government instead of just bitching and moaning about them?

Do you have something else to add, or are you just another moaning dissenter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Do you not think it's time people got up off their arses and did something about the government instead of just bitching and moaning about them?

Do you have something else to add, or are you just another moaning dissenter?

No, sorry I was being a bit difficult. I like the idea ( although it is a protest, not a revolution). That said beng that it is in AH, and you posted here for a reason ( more pageviews), you should expect some funny commentary.

but I agree, this government definitely has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

say it is so, Joe.

whats unconstitutional about marching to the dail pray tell

No, sorry I was being a bit difficult. I like the idea ( although it is a protest, not a revolution). That said beng that it is in AH, and you posted here for a reason ( more pageviews), you should expect some funny commentary.

but I agree, this government definitely has to go.
    It's more a demonstration than a protest, but that's just semantics.

bigstar wrote: »
    whats unconstitutional about marching to the dail pray tell

Not a march.
    I'm not walking anywhere I don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

theres plenty of genuine interest here, but how many actual bodies could be mobilised is really the question, for the sake of credibility. I suggested the christmas mailshot to gov TD's & ministers as a warm up in earlier post, is that worth a try to build up a momentum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Look, you'll find an awful lot of people in Ireland who would be willing to protest against this current government and the mess they've made of everything.

What is lacking though is some charismatic person with high integrity, a great natural leader of people and a fantastic public speaker who actually cares and knows what they're talking about, with no hidden agenda or influence from commercial entities or big business, not to mention influence from states outside of our own.

When that person emerges from Irish society, that person will lead our country toward a revolution and away from the shíte we have available to us now from our present political party overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Look, you'll find an awful lot of people in Ireland who would be willing to protest against this current government and the mess they've made of everything.

What is lacking though is some charismatic person with high integrity, a great natural leader of people and a fantastic public speaker who actually cares and knows what they're talking about, with no hidden agenda or influence from commercial entities or big business, not to mention influence from states outside of our own.

When that person emerges from Irish society, that person will lead our country toward a revolution and away from the shíte we have available to us now from our present political party overlords.

You people didn't make me an AH moderator, you can't come crying for me to come and save you now.

I can do all of that if someone writes it out for me first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I believe terry was looking for an election, not the messiah.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Terry's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

But speaking of which, why the need to organise a dysfunctional mob in order to start? All you really need is a few, if not one person committed enough to get out there with the first picket, and others will follow.

You want a general election, but would you be willing to lock yourself to a street lamp in front of the leinster house and go on a hunger strike? Where do you draw the line and fall into Cantbearsedville?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Overheal wrote: »
    Terry's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

But speaking of which, why the need to organise a dysfunctional mob in order to start? All you really need is a few, if not one person committed enough to get out there with the first picket, and others will follow.

You want a general election, but would you be willing to lock yourself to a street lamp in front of the leinster house and go on a hunger strike? Where do you draw the line and fall into Cantbearsedville?

Hunger strike me arse. I can make a point of dissatisfaction without resorting to hippy style emotional blackmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It is interesting that 52.6% of pollers are not bothered either way about the need for a protest, so maybe spend the next month or two planning a protest and watch the 52.6% drop as the weeks go on and as the news in the days and weesk ahead eats into their pockets, their jobs and their security, see the change in sentiment, because you can be sure of one thing, things are only getting worse with this government... It's funny what some people will put up with, it's like boiling frogs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Darragh29 wrote: »
    It is interesting that 52.6% of pollers are not bothered either way about the need for a protest, so maybe spend the next month or two planning a protest and watch the 52.6% drop as the weeks go on and as the news in the days and weesk ahead eats into their pockets, their jobs and their security, see the change in sentiment, because you can be sure of one thing, things are only getting worse with this government... It's funny what some people will put up with, it's like boiling frogs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

So you're saying the % of people not bothered to protest will fall and yet you put forward the boiling frog analogy? :confused:

Don't those two ideas contradict each other a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when I first seen this I thought it was a joke, but now it seems people are serious (ish) but still it is in AH .. which is probably the least serious forum here.

there is nothing Irish people like to do more than moan, and then do nothing about it.

it would actually be a fantastic idea for people to show how they feel rather than b*tch and moan in pubs/internet.

The price of beer goes up - people complain, generally in a pub, and still get pint number 2
    Food is terrible in a restaurant - "Oh this food is terrible", "Say it to them" "No, I don't want to make a scene"
    The country goes to pot - "This country is terrible, I hate the government" "Oh a few of us are gonna hold a demonstration, to show how we feel" "Ah no, I'll leave it, don't want to make a muppet of myself ... another pint there, how much? 5.50 now is it?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

hussey wrote: »
    when I first seen this I thought it was a joke, but now it seems people are serious (ish) but still it is in AH .. which is probably the least serious forum here.

there is nothing Irish people like to do more than moan, and then do nothing about it.

it would actually be a fantastic idea for people to show how they feel rather than b*tch and moan in pubs/internet.

The price of beer goes up - people complain, generally in a pub, and still get pint number 2
    Food is terrible in a restaurant - "Oh this food is terrible", "Say it to them" "No, I don't want to make a scene"
    The country goes to pot - "This country is terrible, I hate the government" "Oh a few of us are gonna hold a demonstration, to show how we feel" "Ah no, I'll leave it, don't want to make a muppet of myself ... another pint there, how much? 5.50 now is it?"
    Taking the piss out of irish people in an Irish forum....clever...really

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

HouseHippo wrote: »
    Taking the piss out of irish people in an Irish forum....clever...really

I'm not taking the piss, and I am also Irish through and through

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

hussey wrote: »

unfortunately this post is spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ordinary_story

marzic wrote: »
    unfortunately this post is spot on

depressing but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Im bringing a free hat sign, I dont care what we're protesting about......free hat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Joe Higgins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I reckon by Easter next year, there will be civil disorder on the streets of Ireland and I can't say that I won't be joining in when the time comes...

Off you go.
    This thread is not designed to create civil disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I don't think a big protest can be organised this quickly. I'm not quite sure if I don't want the current government (not that I'm happy with them, I'm just I don't envision the alternative being good). Still, I'd be curious about taking part.

If you schedule it for a few weeks, once general Christmas business simmers down, you might have more luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

What about campaigning? Much more effort; yet far more effective than an afternoon of protesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement