Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talkin' 'bout a revolution.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Admirable idea, but you have to sow the seeds of discontent first. If you look at the propertypin's protest in september, that was borne more out of frustration than any hope of achieving anything. So unless you specify the driving force behind the protest, you wont get people out on the streets. General discontent is not enough, I'm afraid.

BTW, congrads on the 10,000th post Overheal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

will there be any free drink at this?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jammyc wrote: »
    will there be any free drink at this?
    ;)
    Punch and pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Terry wrote: »
    Punch and pie.
    B-E-A-utiful!

Have gun, will travel

I bags ministry for justice and defence:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Punch and pie.
    this is supposed to be a nonviolent protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

An assortment of pies? I'm quite the pastry fiend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Have gun, will travel

I bags ministry for justice and defence:)

Minister for Health would be an easier target.

You know, politically speaking of course. :pac:

I bet the Minister of Health never has to wait in line at the casualty ward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Right, I know this might sound outlandish (just a tad) but there is always the option of creating another political party and contesting the next general election.

There's enough people on boards I'm sure to cover all constituencies and although, yes we won't be elected (or we might be, who knows) it is quiet enough just to come together and actually do this.
    It could be enough to disolve the vote of the "don't know's" and take their votes away from the present government otherwise getting their vote when they get to the booth.

The other alternative in the same regards is if one (or more) from Boards actually does run in their own (or another, maybe that of Cowen's) constituency and we all come together to support and campaign on their behalf.

Just some thoughts, strange ones at that maybe but worth mentioning if you really are serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Right, I know this might sound outlandish (just a tad) but there is always the option of creating another political party and contesting the next general election.

There's enough people on boards I'm sure to cover all constituencies and although, yes we won't be elected (or we might be, who knows) it is quiet enough just to come together and actually do this.
    It could be enough to disolve the vote of the "don't know's" and take their votes away from the present government otherwise getting their vote when they get to the booth.

The other alternative in the same regards is if one (or more) from Boards actually does run in their own (or another, maybe that of Cowen's) constituency and we all come together to support and campaign on their behalf.

Just some thoughts, strange ones at that maybe but worth mentioning if you really are serious.

Well the problem here is that a single boards thread has 80 nonsensical idiotic posts to every 1 good one. I'd imagine a better idea would be for a few people to draft a manifesto and then present it for critique... Or not because I can't imagine that would be worth anything.

The thread at the moment, with 90% of posters saying that people were right to stab the sh*t out of a convicted sex offender, really eats at my faith in people on this board.

Kold wrote: »
    Well the problem here is that a single boards thread has 80 nonsensical idiotic posts to every 1 good one. I'd imagine a better idea would be for a few people to draft a manifesto and then present it for critique... Or not because I can't imagine that would be worth anything.

The thread at the moment, with 90% of posters saying that people were right to stab the sh*t out of a convicted sex offender, really eats at my faith in people on this board.

Everyone is different though, you have to accept the good with the bad and be willing to debate issues like that with people. You may never change them but you might lessen their hatred to such a degree that if they ever were presented with a chance to do something like that themselves, they think twice about following it through.

I'd be one of those that would agree with the pedo getting stabbed but I have children myself so to me it's abhorent that anyone could do what that guy did to that child and I can understand others' strong feelings also in that regards. Equally though I accept those that disagree with the stabbing.

People are people and all that comes with them, rarely is anyone ever the same. It's great that we have such a democracy that we can talk about issues like this and others, no matter how bad they are, you will always find people on both sides of the fence.

The person or people put forward to run in an election would also be voted in by members I would think. I'm sure if Terry were willing to run and be put up for a vote for same, he'd get a lot of negative votes just because he's banned people or whatever in the past, or for whatever he's posted in the past - but that's democracy at work.

I'm rambling, I'll stop now, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Everyone is different though, you have to accept the good with the bad and be willing to debate issues like that with people. You may never change them but you might lessen their hatred to such a degree that if they ever were presented with a chance to do something like that themselves, they think twice about following it through.

I'd be one of those that would agree with the pedo getting stabbed but I have children myself so to me it's abhorent that anyone could do what that guy did to that child and I can understand others' strong feelings also in that regards. Equally though I accept those that disagree with the stabbing.

People are people and all that comes with them, rarely is anyone ever the same. It's great that we have such a democracy that we can talk about issues like this and others, no matter how bad they are, you will always find people on both sides of the fence.

The person or people put forward to run in an election would also be voted in by members I would think. I'm sure if Terry were willing to run and be put up for a vote for same, he'd get a lot of negative votes just because he's banned people or whatever in the past, or for whatever he's posted in the past - but that's democracy at work.

I'm rambling, I'll stop now, sorry :o

Its a quaint idea but boards political beliefs span the entire right and left spectrum. You'd never get a manifesto that all would agree on!

Not to mention the fact that boards.ie is not affiliated with any political organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

Would you be willing ot take part in this revolution?

I'll make an announcement and plan one for Monday.
    Would you be up for that?

If I did it, would people actually show up?

Edit:
    I have been offered 10,000 flyers for this event if it happens on the 15th.
    I intend to take my protest to the Dail on the 8th anyway and will follow it up on the 15th.

This protest is not in any way endorsed by boards.ie.
    Boards.ie is not a political organisation.
    The fact that this thread exists is through me abusing my powers as a moderator.

Note:
    Rally postponed until late January because of lack of foresight on my part.
    Check here for updates.

with you all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Since this grew from a comment I made I thought Id better put my weight behind it. Peacefull revolution is possible, gun waving people can be helpfull, thanks for the offers, but you services are needed in Zimbabwei first. If enough people get together im sure ryainair will deliver you somewhere near the country, probably

We need someone to sit down with the greens and independents and get them to leave the government, you then need the rainbow government to be reformed (really rainbow), without them wasting 1 penny on a stupid election that the country cannot afford and does not need.

We have become so lazy in this country, me included, we need to get off our arses and get this country going,
    start with health - Burn Mary Harney to a steak, but lets not forget it isnt all her fault Micheál Martin started the rot,she tried to plug the holes but she just made a complete arse of it
    finance - need i say more, if the government says to do something, you should do the opposite e.g. to help the country we will increase VAT, etc... what does this do, it makes things more expensive so people stop spending money and people loose jobs....
    environment - dont get me started here, these are the people who let houses be build on flood planes.. they let builders build eco terrorist houses, any house built in the last 10 years is about as efficient as the Welsh coal i used to burn before they banned it.
    and the list goes on and on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭justcallmetex

Banks get access to 10 billion euro fund today and last night Harney warns of savage cut backs to the health services.

I rest my case in favour of revolution.

Time to storm Mount Joy.

Time to storm Mount Joy.

I knew it, I knew those joyriding prisoners where behind all this mess !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Where has the sticky gone?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Arm The Poor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barkingmadlolly

Did any date get decided? If not, the week that the Dail is back might be a good one, dont let them get comfy in their Dail seats, show them that the people have had enough and they need to fix this mess NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Kim Bielenberg appears to have been reading this thread lately he mentioned it in the saturday edition of the Independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Marches are a waste of time!!! Do something someone will notice or care about!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think they'll be back on January 28th.

dbyrne wrote: »
    Since this grew from a comment I made I thought Id better put my weight behind it. Peacefull revolution is possible, gun waving people can be helpfull, thanks for the offers, but you services are needed in Zimbabwei first. If enough people get together im sure ryainair will deliver you somewhere near the country, probably

We need someone to sit down with the greens and independents and get them to leave the government, you then need the rainbow government to be reformed (really rainbow), without them wasting 1 penny on a stupid election that the country cannot afford and does not need.

We have become so lazy in this country, me included, we need to get off our arses and get this country going,
    start with health - Burn Mary Harney to a steak, but lets not forget it isnt all her fault Micheál Martin started the rot,she tried to plug the holes but she just made a complete arse of it
    finance - need i say more, if the government says to do something, you should do the opposite e.g. to help the country we will increase VAT, etc... what does this do, it makes things more expensive so people stop spending money and people loose jobs....
    environment - dont get me started here, these are the people who let houses be build on flood planes.. they let builders build eco terrorist houses, any house built in the last 10 years is about as efficient as the Welsh coal i used to burn before they banned it.
    and the list goes on and on..

Kim Bielenberg appears to have been reading this thread lately he mentioned it in the saturday edition of the Independent.
    Do you have a link or a scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my names kim but i dont work for the independent

Id love ot join in but il be snowboarding in france for th enext 5 months sorry ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

scan0001.jpg

hope you can open it ok

zaph got a mention

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement