Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ship Horn in Dun Laoghaire

Options
  • 07-12-2008 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

There's been a ship horn going off for about 3 seconds, every 30 seconds or so for the past ages. What's that about:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Fog horn maybe?

Can't hear anything in Blackrock but I do have the telly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

That would be the fog horn on the east pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies. So what's the purpose of it? Just to warn of fog? Why would it go off so often?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

to warn ships of the rocks as they cant see the light from the lighthouses.....

same reason there is a lighthouse at night...

id say you can figure out the rest for the reason for the fog horn now....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wasn't awake when I wrote the above :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's more to benefit smaller craft. Commercial shipping can see quite well in fog using their radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

SteveC wrote: »
    It's more to benefit smaller craft. Commercial shipping can see quite well in fog using their radar.

...not forgetting GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

East Pier light house fog signal, I use to service it back in the 80ies. They used to test it every friday afternoon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They must have replaced you with a more reliable person, cause they don't test it anymore and only use it in anger now :p

Advertisement