Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Was I caught?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Driving on the N11 today with the speed limit 100km/h I admit (stupidly) I was doing ~110km/h. Suddenly someone came right up behind me so I pulled in and as soon as I pulled into the other lane to let this guy passed I noticed the car in front of me started to stop as a garda walked out to stop us and I realised there was a gardai speed check point (oh b!llox). As I was right in their view at the time I would have been above the speed limit. He was waving cars in but only pulled the guy who came up behind and proceeded to pass me out at an alarming rate!

Do they have to pull you over to do you for speeding or can they get you without pulling you over?

** about 45 mins later on the same road, who passed me out again at alarming speeds? Yes, him again :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If they were stopping people then you were not caught. If they were in a position to take pics and follow up later then they wouldn't have been stopping people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Don't you have ±10% on the speed limit anyway? You should be fine.

tywy wrote: »
    Don't you have ±10% on the speed limit anyway? You should be fine.
    No the law is that you can't exceed the speed limit. If a garda uses a level of discretion then that's another matter!
    A cars speedo is likely to overread the true speed (100km/h on the speedo may be a real 95km/h) because of tyre wear and other factors (they legally cannot underread)) but a driver cannot make assumptions that their speed is lower than what is displayed on the speedo!

You can have -10% if you want though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

kbannon wrote: »
    If they were stopping people then you were not caught. If they were in a position to take pics and follow up later then they wouldn't have been stopping people.

Well they just pulled over the one guy. I think by the time I pulled into the other lane, it was just before the gardai were in visible line of sight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There has been more than one occasion that I thought I was caught speeding and I've never heard anything about it, so I guess I wasn't (caught that is)

OP, I wouldn't worry about it, you can't change anything now anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think you can plead innocence on the basis that the guns aren't accurate enough if your within 10% as there is a discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

No the law is that you can't exceed the speed limit. If a garda uses a level of discretion then that's another matter!
    A cars speedo is likely to overread the true speed (100km/h on the speedo may be a real 95km/h) because of tyre wear and other factors (they legally cannot underread)) but a driver cannot make assumptions that their speed is lower than what is displayed on the speedo!

You can have -10% if you want though! :D

My experience (my own and second hand) is no one gets done for speeding unless they deserve it, there is always a margin allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

mayordenis wrote: »
    I think you can plead innocence on the basis that the guns aren't accurate enough if your within 10% as there is a discrepancy.

I'm only asking out of curiosity as to whether or not they can get you if they didn't pull you at the time if they caught you on their gun at the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,991 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unless something has changed, they cannot fine you from the handheld/tripod-held guns if they do not pull you at the scene. They can only get you from fixed cameras (all, erm, one? of them theres left at this stage - M50, N3 and N4 ones are gone anyway) or the vans without stopipng you.

mayordenis wrote: »
    No you can't! The law explicitly states that you cannot exceed the speed limit and that the garda equipment is presumed to be 100% accurate!
    maidhc wrote: »
    My experience (my own and second hand) is no one gets done for speeding unless they deserve it, there is always a margin allowed.
    That is down to garda discretion. You also hear tales of people getting pulled for doing about 5km/h over the limit!
    MYOB wrote: »
    Unless something has changed, they cannot fine you from the handheld/tripod-held guns if they do not pull you at the scene. They can only get you from fixed cameras (all, erm, one? of them theres left at this stage - M50, N3 and N4 ones are gone anyway) or the vans without stopipng you.
    Some of the tripod based cameras can take photos and there is no immediate need to pull the driver over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

TBH I doubt they would pull you up for 110 kmh anyway. Especially on the 2 lane motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

That is down to garda discretion. You also hear tales of people getting pulled for doing about 5km/h over the limit!

I don't believe those tales, quite frankly.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

there was a garda car parked on on ramp at firhouse heading north on M50 this morning, guard was using handheld radar gun. I was doing about 80 in inside lane, just keeping up with traffic (in the 60 limit zone) and was a little worried until some guy in an A4 went by me on outside doing 120 at least, don't think even saw the garda car as he was speeding up not slowing down.

Couple of mins or so later the garda car went by with all lights flashing and pulled him in after the tallaght junction. Guy in the A4 didn't look too happy!

Advertisement