Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom vs BT upload

Options
  • 07-12-2008 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Just ordered eircom 7mb this week,

and i noticed the upload for 7mb is only 384 the same as 3mb

but with bt its 672

is this for real?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Yes. The 384k is an ingenious idea by eircom to reduce ping times on their 7mb product by lowering the upload rate and scaling back the interleaving on the upstream. It doesn't work.

All 7mb bitstream packages have high interleaving enabled resulting in disastrous ping times for gaming. Obviously this pissed off gamers who, along with higher download speeds, would also like to play games.

So in an attempt to offset the difference in ping caused by high interleaving on the downstream, eircom decided to lower the upstream rate allowing a lower level of interleaving to be applied. As i said this had little or no beneficial effect on ping times.

So to summarise (if you understood a word I just typed, I tend to ramble), if you want to play games get a 3mb package. If you don't and want to download things slightly faster get a 7mb package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭PotBelly

I am currently on BT 8Mb package and I barely get 40kB upload

I have never heard of this 672 - Is it the theoretical upload speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

3mb i had gave good pings with BT

If the pings for 7mb are that bad after i try, i'll change to 3mb.

Thats possible right, because, dont you get 14 days to cancel.

I was also wondering if i get connected for free(122euro)i moved house
    and i cancel to go to BT, will i need to reconnect again or will eircom charge me the 122?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Pings ARE that bad with bt 7.6mb, don't even waste your time trying. It's the same on Eircom aswell - same product..
    ping boards.ie

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 62ms, Average = 59ms
    ping www.heanet.ie

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
    Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 64ms, Average = 59ms
    ping gameservers.nl

Ping statistics for 62.212.83.150:
    Minimum = 84ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 87ms

PotBelly wrote: »

Yes 672kb/s is the theoretical upload speed on the 7.6mb package.

• Advertisement

Currently at parents house
    3.2 km from exchange

369040248.png
    369041308.png
    Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.107] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.107: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 16ms

my house is .8km from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

L O L, just saw an eircom ad in the bottom right corner "Do you feel the need for speed", You won't get left behind gaming online with upto 7mb Eircom". The guy in the ad looks like he wants to pull his hair out. Great advertising Eircom!

HAHAHAHAH :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For everyone's information is worth remembering that in the UK on ADSL Max the upload is 448K on all lines supplied through BT Wholesale so 384K really isn't so bad in comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

Calebmcd wrote: »
    3mb i had gave good pings with BT

If the pings for 7mb are that bad after i try, i'll change to 3mb.

Thats possible right, because, dont you get 14 days to cancel.

I was also wondering if i get connected for free(122euro)i moved house
    and i cancel to go to BT, will i need to reconnect again or will eircom charge me the 122?

No, you have 14 days to cancel before the order starts, not once you have the service (I'm open to correction on that but I think I'm right - distance selling?)

On the connection fee, if you pay a connection fee with BT and move to eircom, there's no new connection fee for the phone line, you just move the service over. If you moved away to smart or magnet for over a year though, I think your line is reclassified as being disconnected so you'd have to pay again.

PotBelly wrote: »

I've hit over 100KB/s upload in torrents (don't ask how..) but it's always been what it said on the tin normally...

• Advertisement

Simi wrote: »
    Yes. The 384k is an ingenious idea by eircom to reduce ping times on their 7mb product by lowering the upload rate and scaling back the interleaving on the upstream. It doesn't work.

All 7mb bitstream packages have high interleaving enabled resulting in disastrous ping times for gaming. Obviously this pissed off gamers who, along with higher download speeds, would also like to play games.

So in an attempt to offset the difference in ping caused by high interleaving on the downstream, eircom decided to lower the upstream rate allowing a lower level of interleaving to be applied. As i said this had little or no beneficial effect on ping times.

So to summarise (if you understood a word I just typed, I tend to ramble), if you want to play games get a 3mb package. If you don't and want to download things slightly faster get a 7mb package.

Does anybody have fastpath under 7mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

i went for the business starter, it has the 7.6 down and 672 up same price as the home prof 7mb/368 package
    i play cod4 and waw on ps3 pings are around 70 but dont have any drastic effect on game play, id recommend the business starter package from eircom, my torrents are fast as-well, once got 800ks, usually around 400k mark

Dunno tbh. You'd have to check with some1 who has adsl. I have upc :D.

I'll check the next time i'm in my parents house. They have 3mb (used to be 2mb) BT. As far as I remember they get decent pings but I don't know if it's fast path or just a really low level of interleaving.

Edit: According to this thread it appears BT may be experimenting with it even on higher packages http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055437160

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm pretty sure that having fastpath or even just a lower level of interleaving would do more harm than good even for gamers. Interleaving is just a system to control errors in the data transmission that would lead to unusable data.

People seem to think that Eircom can magically just turn off interleaving and all will be well and everyone can go back to playing Call of Duty but there is a reason Eircom have interleaving high on the 7mbit packages, and no its not just to piss off gamers.

I'm pretty sure that having fastpath or even just a lower level of interleaving would do more harm than good even for gamers. Interleaving is just a system to control errors in the data transmission that would lead to unusable data.

People seem to think that Eircom can magically just turn off interleaving and all will be well and everyone can go back to playing Call of Duty but there is a reason Eircom have interleaving high on the 7mbit packages, and no its not just to piss off gamers.

Yes there is a reason it's enabled, a very good one, to enable a stable connection on a line that probably shouldn't have 7mb running on it. But that line probably should have been upgraded to ADSL 2+ long ago. But that's beside the point.

Eircom use the maximum interleaving setting on their 7mb product for all customers. For those on lousy lines or far enough from the exchange it's necessary. But for those who are within spitting distance of an exchange it's frustrating to say the least.

Ideally a 5mb "Gamer" package with a reasonable level of interleaving should be available. I just chose 5mb at random but it sounds about right.

You'd be surprised, but as a gamer, I'll go with 'no'. It'd be doing a lot more good than harm.

50ms to Ireland - In this day and age is fupping just stupid.
    Outside of Ireland, Increases more with distance. 60-80ms and you're factoring in maybe half a second or a second of lag on shots. 100+ and there's at least a second lag... and it keeps getting harder and harder to aim seconds before hand. so you're saying anything really past england, is getting near unplayable territory.

Also factor in that the other player(s) have 1/4 or 1/3 or whatever, of your ping.. they're firing faster than you relativly. Makes it impossible to get any decent competetiveness or enter online cups/ladders/tournaments/etc.

All this worrying about ****ty pings means we (gamers) get stressed too, which means we can't have fun when gaming. So no, it doesn't do more harm than good turning on fastpath. It means we can relax and enjoy our games like we should be able to, except this stupid country is so far behind in terms of technology its not even funny.

Advertisement