Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband line test - How often?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 5:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

After being on a pair-gain/split line for ages, eircom finally upgraded us to a full line last week (after a lot of hassle). I am 1 mile from the exchange and should be able to get broadband.
    The line is still failing the test though so I`m wondering how often they actually really test lines?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Once a month I think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

Lines are tested on request,if its saying line failed you wont get it,sorry man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Irlbo wrote: »
    Lines are tested on request,if its saying line failed you wont get it,sorry man

Not usually they're not. eircom may tell you that they run the test for you when you ring them up, but they don't, all they're doing is checking the existing result in the database. It's extremely difficult to get someone to schedule a test for your line, and it won't be done while you're on hold.

It could be, even with the pair gain removed, that your line still fails. But since it was only done a week ago, I'd allow up to a month. If you're getting eircom broadband, you could ring them, tell them what's happened, and plead with them to schedule an actual line test. If they give you any guff about them doing the test right now, ignore them, and try someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Thanks lads, I`ll give it up to a month so to see if it passes.

Just a bump to say

Eircom are complete ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I take it that your line still hasn't passed then?

Yup,
    According to the engineer who upgraded the line, I should be able to get bb no problem. But eircom just say "Fail, piss off and we will tell you when it has been upgraded."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

just a quick question

i ordered broadband from eircom today

they did a line test came back amber

the customer service rep said they is a 85% chance the line may be suitable for broadband

i use dialup and connect at 46kbs

what are my chances of getting broadband

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Kazu wrote: »
    just a quick question

i ordered broadband from eircom today

they did a line test came back amber

the customer service rep said they is a 85% chance the line may be suitable for broadband

i use dialup and connect at 46kbs

what are my chances of getting broadband

85%.

They'll most likely give you broadband but you may need to half the speed to 512 (or lower if necessary if the line can't hold it).

Advertisement