Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork thats safe.

Options
  • 07-12-2008 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Would it be an idea to see if the meat can be sourced ,before it's binned ?
    Don't fancy throwing out the frozen kearnes sausages yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if they are dodgy you can get a refund. You don't have to just throw them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if they are dodgy you can get a refund. You don't have to just throw them out

I can't see retailers refunding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I can understand a refund on meat before it's best before date.

But I've got meat in the freezer thats expired the date ,but frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I'm going to continue eating the rashers and sausages in my freezer... its dioxins in high amounts over a continuous length of time that causes problems.

I don't eat that many pork - products any way - but they are always nice to have as comfort food.

I also reckon with the amount of junk food I eat, pork is the least of my health concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I believe that if it was produced before sept then its fine.

• Advertisement

I'm not concerned about this really ,I also eat far worse food .
    At least we live in a country that tests the meat and does something about it.

Seemingly the cause of this is the manufacturers of the feed ,not taking the packaging off stale bread they use. The plastic/paper wrappers causes this process to occur.
    Someone should be strung up by the goolies for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Scottie99 wrote: »

why not? it's hardly your fault and it's not their fault either. they'll send it back and get a refund themselves

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055435416 btw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1207/pork.html

Supermarket chain Tesco has said it will refund customers on all Tesco-branded pork and bacon products (Tesco, Tesco Value and Tesco Finest).

At this stage, they will not provide refunds on other branded products. The position of other retailers regarding refunds is not yet clear.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Scottie99 wrote: »

They are legally obliged to.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    They are legally obliged to.
    No they aren't, if they can prove their produce is safe they don't have too and if they do its goodwill for customer relations.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58176586&postcount=414

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Dunnes were refunding fully today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

"The National Consumer Agency has said that consumers are entitled to be refunded on pork products purchased after 1 September.

The Agency said that, while in general, consumers should have proof of purchase, it would urge all retailers to be reasonable about refunds."

From the RTE site:

Not looking forward to work tomorrow.

We threw out the meat ,about 8 chops and a few pound of sausages.
    Might bring some good karma ,rather than adding to the troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 wonder_woman

I did my weekly shopping in tesco, celbridge this afternoon and they had Irish ham fillets on special offer and still had tesco value range of Irish gammon steaks, Irish back rashers and irish pork sausages on the shelves!!! Couldn't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My mum got €15 back from the local supermarket on Irish pork products. She said they didn't ask any questions and just threw all the stuff in a trolley. She did get to keep 2 packets of rashers as they are english.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

micmclo wrote: »
    No way!
    If I bought pork products this week, it's unfit for purpose under Sales of Goods, Supply of Services Act 1980.
    If the butcher has a laboratory on-site and wants to prove different, good for them.
    I'll still reject their findings and refer it to a government body.
    The consumer has the power here! Nothing worse then a customer screaming about non-existent rights but in this case, more power to the consumer!!
    I ain't taking defective pork off any butcher, be they a small outlet or a corporation like Tesco

A tad on the OTT side. For starters not all port products are "defective", and if your butcher can demonstrate to you that it comes from a good source (that didn't use the affected feed), then you can reject their findings all you want (and I'd love to know what "government body" will change this stance?), but you're not entitled to your money back.

A bit of common sense is called for, and not a completely OTT knee-jerk reaction. If your pork is from a traceable farm and your local butcher takes the time, and expense, in explaining this to you in detail, then eat your pork.

If you bought a pound of sausages that are defective. Throw them out. Take it on the chin. Stop tying up local butchers for a refund of 2 euro. If you bought lots of meat, obviously your butcher will be happy to help you with a refund, but for the sake of a few euro, why not just leave them alone and spare a thought for the smaller butchers that aren't rip-off merchants and do provide good customer service (as they'll be having a pretty tough Christmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    "The National Consumer Agency has said that consumers are entitled to be refunded on pork products purchased after 1 September.

The Agency said that, while in general, consumers should have proof of purchase, it would urge all retailers to be reasonable about refunds."

From the RTE site:
    Maybe I'm reading it wrong but are the NCA not contradicting themselves there.

The government hasn't yet brought in that retail outlets have to give statuary refund on pork product yet, have they?

Also out of curosity, how far up the food chain (sorry couldn't resist) do the refunds / reimbursements go? ie, I return my bacan to the local butcher, they return it to the wholesaler, they return it to the slaughter house, they return t to the farmer, he/ she goes back to the feed seller.

Congrats to Harney for once it looks like she's not actually involved, although I have heard rumors that she does eat the feed herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

I did my weekly shopping in tesco, celbridge this afternoon and they had Irish ham fillets on special offer and still had tesco value range of Irish gammon steaks, Irish back rashers and irish pork sausages on the shelves!!! Couldn't believe it!

Yeah typically Irish, they tend to give bargains on contaminated or expired food products rather that having to throw them away.
    I wonder when some serious legislation will be implemented in this country.

Anyway, I am glad those tests took place in the first week of December, so we have been enderangered for months since the 1st of September.
    Very effective public food safety measures, "let's test the meat once every 3 months to see if it is contaminated by anything..."

I am so impressed

frankled wrote: »
    Dunnes were refunding fully today.

and the queues of people with their piggy produce was mental.....

mick.fr wrote: »
    Yeah typically Irish, they tend to give bargains on contaminated or expired food products rather that having to throw them away.
    I wonder when some serious legislation will be implemented in this country.

Anyway, I am glad those tests took place in the first week of December, so we have been enderangered for months since the 1st of September.
    Very effective public food safety measures, "let's test the meat once every 3 months to see if it is contaminated by anything..."

I am so impressed

they didnt know for three months though.
    There was a collective sample testing in italy of fats. They were getting positive results from the batch and didn't know exactly where it was from.
    So they in turn told everyone to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

i just woke up this afternoon after a massive bender all weekend. i never saw the news. i proceeded to make and eat the mother of all fry's. should i consult my doctor??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

darrenh wrote: »
    i just woke up this afternoon after a massive bender all weekend. i never saw the news. i proceeded to make and eat the mother of all fry's. should i consult my doctor??

Yes, you drink too much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

cgarvey wrote: »
    A tad on the OTT side. For starters not all port products are "defective", and if your butcher can demonstrate to you that it comes from a good source (that didn't use the affected feed), then you can reject their findings all you want (and I'd love to know what "government body" will change this stance?), but you're not entitled to your money back.

A bit of common sense is called for, and not a completely OTT knee-jerk reaction. If your pork is from a traceable farm and your local butcher takes the time, and expense, in explaining this to you in detail, then eat your pork.

If you bought a pound of sausages that are defective. Throw them out. Take it on the chin. Stop tying up local butchers for a refund of 2 euro. If you bought lots of meat, obviously your butcher will be happy to help you with a refund, but for the sake of a few euro, why not just leave them alone and spare a thought for the smaller butchers that aren't rip-off merchants and do provide good customer service (as they'll be having a pretty tough Christmas).

Here here - agree totally - 8 farms affected !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

cgarvey wrote: »
    If you bought a pound of sausages that are defective. Throw them out.

Or better yet, just eat them.

Advertisement