Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car Shortlist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

you sound like a levin driver Toco.i know a few young fella's just a bit older than you who have been through a few, insurance shouldnt be a problem on them if your a name driver and they are very very fast for a first car, too fast.i think they are over 150ps standard, they are just 1.6 and most of them are kitted out already so all you need is accessories.

check this out, was interest myself.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=71072&cat=2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Why would a Cynos with a standard 1.3 100bhp 4efe engine interests you? You do realise its missing the T part?

In fairness he sounds like he doesnt know what he wants (apart from looks sweet and goes fast) so lets try not confuse him anymore.

As already said, Lancer, Corolla, Golf good 1st cars and insurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

why not just buy a diahatsu charade gti ??

1.0 6v turbo, 60 in around 7 seconds, under 800 kg in weight, even I can insure it, Proven evo/impreza killer !

its all about accl notthe speed your banger can do.

also if your gonna mod your car, please, do it correctly, back boxes alone, mutant cheapo gear looks tacky...

if modding cars correctly was cheap, everyone Would do it...

Yes because they are so common. And look nice. And are easy to insure.

Im 21 and put in provisional license and 1 year named ncd. €1.6k.
    He's 3 years younger than me. Have you actually got a quote?

Sure you may aswell get a Micra ST. Its only 998cc so it doesn't matter that there's a Supercharger and Turbo.

God the amount of crap I read pisses me off...

Look, high performance and 1st car/young driver doesn't work.

Unless you're a scumbag who doesn't get his car insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Remember, a POS with nice alloys, stereo set-up and bodykit is still a POS.

No truer words said.
    However, I'm definitelly not buying a **** car wheter its my first or not!

It will be insured under my parents
    I am not skum.
    I am looking for a respectable car, not a fiat.

I do have an idea what I want but I'm not sure I would like to go petrol or not.
    Like for example, I could afford to insure and buy a nice BMW 316i or but I couldn't afford to keep it running every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE, has to start somewhere, that's usually with a "crap" car. You work up from that. Nobody gets a decent respectable car as their first, unless you've craploads of money to throw at it. As said above.. high performance and 1st car/young driver doesn't work.

While I was doing a bit of drift photography, I met a guy who had a beauty of a skyline, and he was telling me that even he started with a POS. I met someone else who's 21 driving a 350z, had it since he was 19, wasn't his first car though.

Your first car is only there to learn in, make mistakes in, and to get your full license in. They're not long term investments tbh, and you'll attract more Gardaí attention with L plates up on a modified/powerful car. That's ofc assuming you're going to follow the law...:cool:

Smart thing to do is, get a car to do you over until you've got your full license. In the mean time, save up your money so you've more to spend on the next one(and when you sell off your first). Then you've your full license, a decent enough car, and don't have to have someone with you by law. Time to have fun.

toco123 wrote: »
    No truer words said.
    However, I'm definitelly not buying a **** car wheter its my first or not!

It will be insured under my parents
    I am not skum.
    I am looking for a respectable car, not a fiat.

I do have an idea what I want but I'm not sure I would like to go petrol or not.
    Like for example, I could afford to insure and buy a nice BMW 316i or but I couldn't afford to keep it running every week.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1266738

i cant imagine a 316i being that heavy on fuel? im getting about 35 - 38 mpg from my lancer 1.3. 316i wouldnt be heavier on fuel i'd imagine.power would be similar as those 1.6 bmw's are suppose to be very dead ( not that a 1.3 mitsubishi is lively ).for €2000 you should be able to get this.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1266738

would have loved if that was my first car, i had a 95 corsa and thats the way it shoud be :D

mivec here, insurance might be an issue but they are very quick something like 165ps.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=71687&cat=2

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/insure/index.htm

Here i'll just say i would like an affordable hatchbak, navy or black, under 1.4 or 2.0td. Not a fiat, nor a car no ones heard of... Preferably not a golf as there the most
    common in fermoy. Enough room for a sound system, and easy to get body kit or looks sweet enough without one. Currently a corolla g6 with TTE kit sounds good

And mivec would be ridiculous to insure

Maybe a Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 TD? Petrols are good but not sure about diesel...

Nice long NCT and Tax on this one. Pics arent great tho.

Kits available for it too but it looks nice as is IMO.

Can't really think of much else!

• Advertisement

Naw, prefer a hatchback.... Wouldn't touch a mitsibshi i'd say

toco123 wrote:
    Wouldn't touch a mitsibshi i'd say

Mine has 192k km and still flying it!

How about an Audi A3 1.9TDI? Might be the upper end of your budget but a good clean/wax, some springs and a nice set of alloys does wonders.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

OP how about a Honda civic 1.5vti?

I know civics are the most common cars you will come across but they are without a doubt easy to modify tastefully and they are pretty reliable. Also quiet quick too.

Was considering it. Though there rarely good condition at 3000.

Civics are rare enough... Bit uninsurable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

This is a gas thread....

1.3 lancer mate......but if I was you I'd put a set of stabalizers and a restricter on it....get all that bodykit / sound system / exhaust crap out of your head.

You mightnt be a scumbag but youll look like one in a car of your liking....

Wait till youre driving 4 or 5 years before you go tuner car....hopefully then youll have the sense not to act the eejit in it....

S.I.R wrote: »
    1.0 6v turbo, 60 in around 7 seconds, under 800 kg in weight, even I can insure it, Proven evo/impreza killer !

That bit made me laugh.....ever been in an evo?

Ha... Well in da end its my decision so in da end it won't matter to you... And by the way, i'd prefer to go euro style, than hardcore retarded skummy ****. It seems like the corolla is the best option to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Best option is to take the advice from people who know what they're talking about and have been driving for longer than yourself to be honest.

To be honest i know more people who know less than me about cars than ones that do.
    Look, some of you are being extremely helpfull but some of ye have ridiculous opinions. But when i said i want to spend money on it e.g. Sound system, i do intend to get one. Body kit wise i mean smooth, not over the top with a big gay spoiler unless it suits it or is necessary.
    I'm a complete music junkie, and that is the only reason i need a sound system, most likely from vibe. As well as that i would like to take my fibreglass skills and electronic skills and put it into the soundsystem. I want a nice enough car that it could be showed but not grab too much attention.
    Fuk it, i think i'll just get the corolla 6 speed g6 next year and do what I like to it! :p

• Advertisement

Corolla G6 are nice, but maybe a bit girly, especially the bright coloured ones.they wouldnt be my idea of a cool car.

if your hearts set on 3dr hatchback what about a civic? much cooler than a Corolla, especially the saloon one's.great engines and power from the 1.5 vtec's as well.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1261213

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1265666

insurance under your parents name, shouldnt be a problem they are only 1.5.

Insurance with a civic even under your parents name is terrible... Civics have stupid insurance over here. Btw that second civic was automatic which is hardly suitable for a first car.
    As for the corolla, i would get it in black, and when i get the full license i'd get a glanza 1.3 turbo lump for it.

cant go wrong with a toyota I suppose , why do you want a glanza though?

horribile looking yoke.

Read it again! I said lump, as in the engine as in a transplant! Seems like a popular thing to do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

S.I.R wrote: »
    why not just buy a diahatsu charade gti ??

hahahahahahahaha

christ, where do you get off?!
    your posts just get more and more ignorant as time goes on..

Ya suppose it may seem. Thanks for the advice anyway guys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Best of luck with the corolla anyway!

I still havent taking a hit on my first car yet after 7 months lol so hopefully the same for you!

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Best of luck with the corolla anyway!

I still havent taking a hit on my first car yet after 7 months lol so hopefully the same for you!
    Thats exactly what i want to hear mate;)

Eh....you want to go ''euro''?....a corolla is japanese.

Listen....I'm not being rude and trying to ruin your fun....but until youve flipped a car into a ditch, rebuilt an engine etc etc you havent a clue about cars.

One thing I can promise you....in 5 years you will laugh at yourself for actually liking the look of the cars your talking about....

Turn the music off when driving, concentrate, lay off the accelerator. I was mad to get a quick car at 18....nearly killed me. Dont think you're sensible....only age and experience teach you sense.

Happy hunting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jmck87 wrote: »

....but until youve flipped a car into a ditch, rebuilt an engine etc etc you havent a clue about cars.

sounds to me that someone that's done that has;

a) abused their cars
    b) not maintained them correctly
    c) been a little scumbag boyracer

I wouldn't say they know much about cars though. :)

oh and, you can do "euro style" on any car, no matter where it's from.

toco, do whatever you want for your first car, if you want to put on all the boykits and stupid sh*te(best part of the time..) then do but people are gonna laugh at you.
    First car, keep it standard, learn to drive and learn about engines and different cars..then you'll be able to make a more educated decision on which car to buy and tune.

Advertisement