Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car Shortlist

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

I choose D) All of the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

toco123 wrote: »
    Read it again! I said lump, as in the engine as in a transplant! Seems like a popular thing to do too.

No point in doin an engine swap just cause its a popular thing to do, it can become very expensive,

i'd suggest start small, it seems from your posts that you want something with a bit of power. what about a colt? you would pick a 1.3 up cheap enough, it would be the guts of 80-90 bhp, and once you get a bit of experience, move up to a 1.5 or 1.6 .

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Obviously you don't know much about driving if you managed to flip a car.
    No, i wouldn't get a colt.
    I know what i want to do now.
    Buy a corolla G6 1.3 6 speed with a TTE kit and alloys for approx 3500.
    Make a fibreglass 3 piece sound system for 1000.
    Pass the test and get a glanza/starlet turbo engine to have a sleeper unless i get bored with it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Sounds like a plan but the engine transplant isn't that easy.

You'll have to get it fitted then have an engineer give it the once over. Then you can get quotes.

The insurance company can charge whatever they want, if they quote you at all. Bit of a kick in the stones if you go to all the trouble and you have a €4k premium.

Might be feasible after a few years NCD.

Chances are you will get bored of it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

why go through all that trouble for a Glanza engine?

if your going to do it ( I think your mad to ) then put in a proper engine like a 180bhp levin one.

or just get a 1.6 vvti corolla now and be done :pac:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1267090

• Advertisement

For a start would a levin be an easy swap? The usuals for a G6 is a 1.3 turbo and a 4age. And since 4age are less powerful at stock (i'm not sure), but are more difficult to insure and fit i'd rather the glanza engine... As i said thats if i don't get sick of it, can get it insured and cost less than a kidney.
    I've always had a thing for show and shine but what i loved most were underestimated yet nice simple modified cars and sound systems that could pump bass without bleedin the sound quality.

And by the way to everyone who laughed at the guy who mentioned the charade, his facts are actually true. In the end tho, its just a pocket rocket that looks like a fagget box.

Has anyone hear used fibreglass for audio systems? I'll upload a pic or a CAD design if i could get the boot dimensions from somewhere. My father has good knowledge with fibreglass and the stuff is ready to be used :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

toco123 wrote: »

And by the way to everyone who laughed at the guy who mentioned the charade, his facts are actually true. In the end tho, its just a pocket rocket that looks like a fagget box.

Has anyone hear used fibreglass for audio systems? I'll upload a pic or a CAD design if i could get the boot dimensions from somewhere. My father has good knowledge with fibreglass and the stuff is ready to be used :)

It's no evo or impreza beater, not a hope. It might be quick..for a hot hatch, but that's it.

and I've heard a fair bit about fibreglass being absolutely useless if you want really good quality sound..too much vibration apparently.

How about if i used Dynamat and a sealant? I'll be keeping the wood carcass like so it won't be entirely fibreglass. And I don't expect to be racing evos or imprezas for a while. Especially first car! haha

Advertisement