Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will update be free?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

My father-in-law bought a Garmin Nuvi 250 about six weeks ago. It's the Ireland map version but the newer roads are not on it. He was told that there would be an update out around now, but I can't find anything on the site. There is a Europe update, but that has to be paid for and will be completely useless to him anyway.
    Anyone know if one is due out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it was first used after August 17th then you are entitled to upgrade to the 2009 maps for free.

Go here and enter the serial number which on the bottom of the unit...

https://my.garmin.com/maps/updates.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

It was bought new in October.

Checked that out and I had to connect and download an online checking tool. Downloaded ok but when I run the software it says it's not detected. System specs seem to be ok, so not sure what the problem is. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055425378
    they forced the download through for me and i've just downloaded it

guil07 wrote: »
    have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055425378
    they forced the download through for me and i've just downloaded it

What email address did you contact?
    Did you get the free update that shows al the new roads?

i just used the support on the garmin site
    havent checked whats new on it yet but its the 09 maps i have

• Advertisement

guil07 wrote: »
    i just used the support on the garmin site
    havent checked whats new on it yet but its the 09 maps i have

Is that 09 Europe? I saw that update.
    Sounds like he needs to wait for the Ireland update.

no just ireland and uk, the email said that her manager had pushed through the update to my acc so i just had to log in and download it

Great thanks.

Will get in contact with them and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Purchased a garmin 250 last May/June 08, but only just found out about the free upgrade, So registered online and it says:

City Navigator Europe NT v9 Limited- Deluxe
    Region: City Navigator Europe NT v9 Limited, Deluxe All Regions, Sept 06
    Date Unlocked: September 20, 2007

Obviously it was used/unlocked at least 9 months before I got it!! Now I'm not looking for the 2009 maps, but would I be entitled to the 2008 maps from garmin? Would it be worth my while to chase them down about it...or just a waste of time?

Thanks

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They ask for proof of purchase, but I had a similar problem to you with a GPS in that its first fix was 9 months before it was bought and they forced through the update for that unit. Try them and see how you get on, it can't hurt.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

No luck with the upgrade, gave them a ring and they are following the line of you didnt upgrade within 60 days. Tough luck.

To be honest, I cant recall see it mentioned on the documents that came with the package...but not much I can do now, other than paying those ridiculous upgrade prices or buying another unit....

W.

Advertisement