Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on Pork Poducts - Why still selling?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

My wife has just back from the local Super Value and they are still selling Irish pork? Why after the Government ban/recall are they still selling these products?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Ask them.

Nice and helpful.

I think, because this is a discussion board, the OP was hoping that someone here might know the answer.

/ p.s. I don't know the answer

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

I just heard a while ago that Tescos has pulled everything pork off it's shelves leaving it bare.

They should have pulled everything off. The reason for the such large recall is that they can only trace the abatoir where the pigs were slaughtered not the individual animals.

So maybe it was a different abatoir there supplies came from.
    However I would question that as I said tescos have pulled everything! Denny galtee etc...

I assume the same brands would in the very least be pulled everywhere.

I wouldn't buy any Pork from anywhere in the republic untill this has been resolved. Better safe than sorry!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

I was in Spar in Northwood, Santry last night. I asked the manageress why was there still Irish pork products on the shelves. She said she didn't have the authority to remove them! You'd wonder what does a manager do there. She couldn't seem to care less, and went back to stacking the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's a ban on IRISH pork products, not all of the pork sold in Irish shops are Irish, and some of those sausages have a very low level of pork in them, 40-55% Pork...

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that many of the brand names don't actually use Irish pork, probably sourced from Holland etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

tbh it sounds like we've all being eating this stuff for 4 months anyway....what's another rasher going to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 grangeglens

my local supervalu has removed all pork products including frozen pizza, ready meals

Actually though it does have health implicatons for adults to a point if your eating 10 rashers a day followed by bacon for your dinner. It can be quite serious for kids and developing foetus. As the PCBs target the developing organs.
    So for some people 1 more can be harmful if the dose of PCBs was very high.
    Like all these things it's stupid to volunteer yourself to put these harmful toxins into your body.

So as I say why take the risk. You know that there out there. the products contain seriously harmful chemicals. Would you willingly sprinkle something on your food which is a known carcinogen? I know I wouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco in Galway are still selling pork products - those with an IE oval stamp on them (are from Northern Ireland). They include Tesco Value sausages, rashers and black/white pudding.

Also they are selling pork products with a UK stamp on them.
    Rep. of Ireland produce have an IRL oval stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

jen_23 wrote: »

So as I say why take the risk. You know that there out there. the products contain seriously harmful chemicals. Would you willingly sprinkle something on your food which is a known carcinogen? I know I wouldn't.

people smoke......

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

They should remove all irish pork, but as an earlier poster said many shops wont have a manager there to make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What day is it today? Everyone make a pork thread day?

aww sweet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Looks like M&S tactic of putting "British" and a small union flag on their food is going to pay off

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RuggieBear wrote: »
    tbh it sounds like we've all being eating this stuff for 4 months anyway....what's another rasher going to change?

Well said, people are freaking out over something that nobody has gotten ill over yet despite it being around for months, we'll all be fine, of course over the next few weeks the papers will be full of stories that anyone with a stomach bug was poisoned by tainted rashers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I was going to eat sausages this morning myself ,but it would be taking the p*ss especially with the news today.

Next week we'll be back as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whilst looking for cigarettes (I get the irony btw) in TempleBar/O'ConnellSt last night I noticed all the Spar/Centra shops still had Irish pork products on the shelves.

OK, so its probably the case that the manager doesn't have the authority to remove the products etc.

Thats not good enough though and these shops shouldn't be allowed have such a system that prevents them being able to do the right thing during a major health scare.

These same shops were well able to have a system in place that put up the price of cigarettes by 50c at midnight on the day of the budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

These same shops were well able to have a system in place that put up the price of cigarettes by 50c at midnight on the day of the budget.

but in that instance it was a situation that had happened before and was expected.

i (retailer) only found out about the recall late last night and removed all this morning.

ordering a recall on a sat when they knew about it all week was madness by the govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aerosexual77

This is going to have a terrible effect on the Irish pig export market and I predict many jobs will be lost.

I think its a complete over reaction by the authorities. No one knows what goes into many products today. Cigs and alcohol (when have you ever seen on a label of a bottle of wine what goes into it) are much worse than a pork chop that has a tiny chance of being affected and it still wont kill you!

We ve been eating this pork for the last few months, I for one am going to live life on the wild side and Im looking forward to my roast pork dinner tonight, washed down with a few glasses of vino!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I was in Dunnes in Douglas, Cork this morning and the fridges where the pork would usually be kept were empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I think its a complete over reaction by the authorities. No one knows what goes into many products today. Cigs and alcohol (when have you ever seen on a label of a bottle of wine what goes into it) are much worse than a pork chop that has a tiny chance of being affected and it still wont kill you!

I agree that the authorities shouldn't overreact. Unfortunately they are not.

This toxin in very dangerous. Not in the short term, but for later in life and for the next generation. These things build up in a person; stored in fat cells and passed on to the foetus causing birth defects even at small levels of exposure. There are known "safe levels" for PCBs and we are told the exposure is X 200.

http://www.ejnet.org/dioxin/

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    people smoke......

That's a fair statement. However, That personal choice. The thing here is that a very dangerous toxin at 80 to 200 times the safe limit is in the foodchain.
    As I said you and me eating it. Well chances are wel be fine it's the pregnant women and children who are going to be hit with this.
    As I said the toxin targets developing organs so some people could be facing hardship over this.
    We don't know, there is a reason that this toxin is banned!! It is very dangerous.

Also my point being yes people smoke BUT would you give a child a cigarette........ (I would assume the general answer here would/should be no)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

I had six cans of dutch ,a half bottle of cheap aldi wine , a couple of pints of guinness , a few gins ,one or two vodkas with red bull, a kebab and garlic chips finished off with a yop and 3 panadol last night.

woke up this morning craving a big dirty fry up but i soon as i heard the new i said no way man.

My body is a temple i wasnt puting those toxants anywhere near me.

eoinf wrote: »
    I had six cans of dutch ,a half bottle of cheap aldi wine , a couple of pints of guinness , a few gins ,one or two vodkas with red bull, a kebab and garlic chips finished off with a yop and 3 panadol last night.

woke up this morning craving a big dirty fry up but i soon as i heard the new i said no way man.

Spot on man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

eoinf wrote: »

Do you realise the difference between alcohol and dioxins?

Kahless wrote: »
    Do you realise the difference between alcohol and dioxins?

Get a grip ,the guy is pointing out the junk food we eat. Which can come from anywhere and the damage that alcohol does to people.
    A fry up with dioxins is harmless in comparison, if anything this scare has probably made people think about all the junk thats around.

Irish people didn't get where they are on chinese food and pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Actually though it does have health implicatons for adults to a point if your eating 10 rashers a day followed by bacon for your dinner. It can be quite serious for kids and developing foetus. As the PCBs target the developing organs.

Have you any links to information on this???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

What has junk food got to do with pork that has dioxins in it? Junk food is a separate issue. People know it is bad. Pork, however, isn't generally expected to have dioxins in it. Dioxins which will stay and build up in the body.

Absolutely agree about the seriousness of the situation ,but it's farmers who are affected by all this and it's not their fault.
    The best thing we can do is forget about this and carry on as before. And be glad we live in a country that cares about our national product.

Have you any links to information on this???

Hi Adrieanne,

Excessive exposure to PCBs may affect the brain, eye, heart, immune system, kidney, liver, reproductive
    system, skin, thyroid gland and the unborn child, and may cause cancer. Both the US Environmental Protection
    Agency and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have determined that PCBs are probably
    carcinogenic to humans.

Link below

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:a7XXLSgR3N4J:assets.panda.org/downloads/fact_sheet___pcbs_food.pdf+pcb+affect+foetus&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Below I've also included a study From 1978 to 1979, a group of people in Taiwan were exposed to high levels of heat-degraded polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) owing to accidental ingestion of contaminated rice oil. Children born to mothers following the exposure (‘Yucheng’ children) were known to have hyperpigmented skin and other dysmorphology after birth.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q62526775q310882/

http://www.gascape.org/index%20/Health%20effects%20of%20Dioxins.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi Adrieanne,

Excessive exposure to PCBs may affect the brain, eye, heart, immune system, kidney, liver, reproductive
    system, skin, thyroid gland and the unborn child, and may cause cancer. Both the US Environmental Protection
    Agency and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have determined that PCBs are probably
    carcinogenic to humans.

Link below

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:a7XXLSgR3N4J:assets.panda.org/downloads/fact_sheet___pcbs_food.pdf+pcb+affect+foetus&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=ie&client=firefox-a

Below I've also included a study From 1978 to 1979, a group of people in Taiwan were exposed to high levels of heat-degraded polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) owing to accidental ingestion of contaminated rice oil. Children born to mothers following the exposure (‘Yucheng’ children) were known to have hyperpigmented skin and other dysmorphology after birth.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q62526775q310882/

http://www.gascape.org/index%20/Health%20effects%20of%20Dioxins.html

Hi Jen,

I think the point here is that there are thousands of carcenogenic substances we are exposed to every day, increased radon levels, Diesel Particulates, theres lots...

But the point here is that your would have to be exposed to Dioxins for VERY long periods of time for there to be any harmful effects.

Note the part in bold above.. "HIGH Levels" exposure to any carcenogen at high levels is dangerous.

Jees every summer i see Irish people going out in the blazing sun with NO PROTECTION from the Sun and that in itself can cause skin cancer, when exposed to HIGH LEVELS.

Advertisement