Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ban on Pork Poducts - Why still selling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Apparently you'd have to eat a pack of these contaminated sausages every day for 40 years before they'll have an affect on you. And there's no risk to pregnant woman either such is the low levels of dioxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

Jip wrote: »
    Apparently you'd have to eat a pack of these contaminated sausages every day for 40 years before they'll have an affect on you. And there's no risk to pregnant woman either such is the low levels of dioxins.

Could you give your source on this information and the calculation used to come to this conclusion?

How also do you determine the exact dosage required to cause one of the cancers mentioned previously.

I am deeply distrubed by the fact that feed from a waste recycling plant is the root cause of this scare! They were feeding waste to animals destined for human consumption! How were they not expecting something like this to occur??

All rte seem to care about is about the impact to the farmers and their pockets - What about the impact to the consumer!!! Surely THEY should be the ones at the centre of this concern!

What sick farmer would feed his animals on waste from a recycling plant and then sell his animals to the meat industry!

What a sick world we live in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

It has come from several medical sources, one of which said so yesterday morning on Today FM. Even the chief medical officer has said there's no risk in eating them.
    And directly from the FSAI website
    Should I be concerned?
    Even though it is illegal for dioxins to be present in foodstuffs, any possible risk to consumer health is extremely low.

And your conclusion on how this has happened is incorrect, read up on what the suspected cause is before claiming that famers knowingly caused this,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Andy454 wrote: »
    What sick farmer would feed his animals on waste from a recycling plant and then sell his animals to the meat industry!

What a sick world we live in!

What a stupid attitude to have ,farmers probably buy this feed from a supplier who buys from the producer.
    The plant in question is a modern one and its all under investigation.
    With the attitude you have ,you'd try and make out all farmers are vegetarians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jen_23 wrote: »
    Excessive exposure

And there it is, excessive exposure. Just like everything that's bad for us, it's excessive use/consumption/exposure that is the problem. Radon gas seeping up from the ground will kill hundreds of people in Ireland, why hasn't every house without an adequate radon barrier been knocked down? There was no need to recall all the pork products, or destroy all potentially infected animals, as the exposure will be minimal, even if we keep eating the remaining potentially exposed products. As long as the contaminated food source is identified and removed, then future products will be safe.

An announcement could be made, giving people the choice themselves of whether to risk it or not. The recall is a PR thing so it looks like they're doing the right thing. If they hadn't done it, they'd be critisised by other idiots.
    Andy454 wrote: »
    I am deeply distrubed by the fact that feed from a waste recycling plant is the root cause of this scare! They were feeding waste to animals destined for human consumption! How were they not expecting something like this to occur??

Farmers have been spreading slurry, human waste, on fields of grass, which is then eaten by cows, pigs, sheep, etc, for decades. Why are you so disturbed by this now? Your post reads like something you'd find in The Daily Mail. All it's missing is an excessive amount of exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

The Irish Times confirms the findings of the tests: “the pork tested this week had up to 200 times more dioxins than is considered safe.” The PCB “safety” limit of the EU is set at a maximum of 14 pg TEQ/kg per week, that would mean Irish pork has been tested at levels of around 2,800 pg TEQ/kg per week to match the stated “200 times”, which is 19,990% above the limit.

Just me but anything 200 times over what is deemed safe is something I personally would not like to eat.

Obviously it's a personal choice thing and I think there are enough carcingens to be dodging than willingly adding more which may have some consequeces later on down the line.

I have to work with potential carcingogens most days but I do it in a safe manner so as not to put myself as risk ie I don't eat them. (when I know about them :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

jor el wrote: »
    Farmers have been spreading slurry, human waste, on fields of grass, which is then eaten by cows, pigs, sheep, etc, for decades

Slurry is animal waste, not human. At least, the many farmers I know have never had human waste included. Also, it isn't like the animals are let into the field to eat right after it is spread on. It is used to fertilise the field to make the grass grow. The cows are let in after it has grown. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point. It won't be on the grass, but will have long since been absorbed into the ground to "feed" the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It's worrying how smug some people are about this problem ,it's going to affect us all financially for more than the price of a refund.
    Whinging and moaning about it is only going to prolong the situation.
    We all have to chip in on this one ,whether we like it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Kahless wrote: »
    Slurry is animal waste, not human.
    Animal waste being much cleaner than human waste of course.
    At least, the many farmers I know have never had human waste included.

Farmers empty household septic tanks all the time.

Also, it isn't like the animals are let into the field to eat right after it is spread on. It is used to fertilise the field to make the grass grow. The cows are let in after it has grown. Otherwise there wouldn't be much point. It won't be on the grass, but will have long since been absorbed into the ground to "feed" the grass.

So you're saying it's OK to use waste to feed the grass, which feeds the animals, but not OK to use the treated, recycled waste, to feed the animals directly? It's not as though the pigs were being given buckets of raw sewage to munch down on now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

jor el wrote: »
    So you're saying it's OK to use waste to feed the grass, which feeds the animals, but not OK to use the treated, recycled waste, to feed the animals directly? It's not as though the pigs were being given buckets of raw sewage to munch down on now, is it?

I don't recall saying that, no...

And it's not like the grass is full of sewage either. It's just ordinary grass.

Besides, the problem here is that it wasn't properly treated to begin with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement