Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to cut up an old steel oil tank?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i have to get rid of an old oil tnak from the back yard but no access to get it out in one piece so have to cut it up. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

breadbin wrote: »
    i have to get rid of an old oil tnak from the back yard but no access to get it out in one piece so have to cut it up. any suggestions?

I had something similar a few years ago.

I ended up emptying the last of the oil from it, used a car jack to tilt it to the outlet pipe. Then drilled a little hole to get the last few drops out.

The myself and a friend cut it up using a cheap black and decker jig saw with a metal blade it in... took a bit of time, but worked fine in the end...

If each seam is welded, once you cut a few of the seams, you should be able to break the others by flexing the side back and forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I'm doing just that at present. I've got an angle grinder with a 9" blade from Aldi and it's doing the job fine.

Lots of hard work though - and be careful with the grinder. They're 'animal' machines.

Advertisement