Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accident breathalyzer check?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Wife involved in accident at weekend. Pulling out at junction in town and hit by a car. Other party was totally obnoxious and intimidating, shouting etc. Garda arrived and took details but didn't do a breathalyzer check on either party. Is it not the law that a breathalyzer check is done at all accidents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Probably is the Gardais descretion although that said if they can randomly stop at checkpoints then I'm sure they could if they were arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

They do not all carry the breathalysers so unless the Garda figures they were drinking they wont call for the unit.

Obnoxious people do not all need alcohol to be abnoxious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I would have thought that if the guard was suspicious (smelled alcohol) then he would have breathalysed (or taken them to the station if he didn't have the equipment).

It's equally possible that the person had taken some other narcotic, some in particular tend to make people obnoxious and aggressive, I don't know how the guards deal with or test for that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Cheers, I guess just the shock of an accident could be enough to make a person react like that. I cannot understand however why it's not an automatic breath test at the scene of an accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If an idiot pulled out in front of me I'd probably be a bit of an arsehole too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Why? what would that achieve?

OK, some people need to vent but the scene of an accident is not really the place for it regardless of whose fault it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

as far as i am aware the aim would be that every one involved in a road traffic accident would be breathalysed but it is not law yet. there is no breathalyser to detect drugs etc a blood test would have to be takne for this

I wouldn't consider my wife an idiot. Accident free for 14yrs, She was edging out at a junction on a busy street, car comes flying around sending her spinning and popping his airbags in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,457 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If an idiot pulled out in front of me

Steady on, MagicMarker. Accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,517 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Accidents happen alright but there is usually someone at fault otherwise it wouldnt happen.

At least no-one was badly injured or worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Most garda units dont carry breathalyiser equipment, so unless the person smells strongly of alcohol, or cant walk in straight lines basically, then they wont be arrested or brought to the station

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

unkel wrote: »
    Steady on, MagicMarker. Accidents happen.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Accidents happen alright but there is usually someone at fault otherwise it wouldnt happen.

At least no-one was badly injured or worse

Collisions happen, accidents are caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

stapeler wrote: »
    Hi.
    Wife involved in accident at weekend. Pulling out at junction in town and hit by a car. Other party was totally obnoxious and intimidating, shouting etc. Garda arrived and took details but didn't do a breathalyzer check on either party. Is it not the law that a breathalyzer check is done at all accidents?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing the point here.

Your wife pulled out and collided with a car that had the right of way,
    did you want your wife breathalyzed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, my reading is the OP wanted his wife and the other driver both checked and wants to know why this didn't happen

T-Square wrote: »
    I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing the point here.

Your wife pulled out and collided with a car that had the right of way,
    did you want your wife breathalyzed?

Doesn't bother me either way if she was breathalyzed or not, I just thought there was a law being introduced a couple of years ago that insisted that all involved in an accident were checked. Obviously it was never introduced.

As reguards being hit by a car that had the right of way, I accept that she is at fault.

Advertisement