Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Application

Options
  • 07-12-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I am making an appilication to go back to college next year as a mature student and have just downloaded the appilication form of the TCD website, its 12 pages long and requires alot of information to be provide, with I am fine with, I just dont want to make any mistakes. So if anyone has filled out before and been accepted could give me any tips that would be great. Thanks very much in advanced!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi Gordon

Last year I filled out the mature student application and applied to Sligo IT, same procedure as Trinity. Got the course and am delighted I did. As a mature candidate you will be assessed on your suitability to the course and what ever previous experience you have that will help you with your application. Answer the questions honestly and explain in detail why you feel this is the right course for you and how it will help your future career. They are just looking at your past and seeing will the course suit you. After that you will be contacted to come in for an interview (usually March/April) and that is really your time to sell yourself. Depending on how you perform in the interview will greatly determine the outcome of your application. When I was asked to attend I was being interviewed and as far as they knew I had already been accepted. This was a little strange as I had prepared a full list of questions & answers that I wanted to be asked and have prepared to answer. I was very lucky in that regard so do your very best when you are assessed.

Good luck with it Gordan and make sure you have everything in order and contact the Social Welfare for any entitlements you get as a returning student to full time education (Back to Education Allowance, Grants). Hope it works out for you.

Den

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gordon_21

Thanks for that Dan, good to hear from someone that has been through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would also say to keep a copy of the form so you can remember what you wrote when called for interview.

Also, write in legible, bold letters. If your handwriting is bad, get someone else to do it. It will make it much easier for the admin/tutor reading through it.

When I applied last year, I wrote out a rough form first and then a proper form just in case I forgot something and checked how it read. The more detailed it is (with relevance to the course), the easier it will be for the admin/tutor to get an idea of the person you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

gordon_21 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Dan, good to hear from someone that has been through the process.

Den buddy. :)

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Hi Gordon,

I'm in the exact same boat as you, but you beat me to it with the post!
    Have you considered any other colleges? Just incase you're not successful with trinity you should try to keep all the options open.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, as above, I would definitely recommend applying to a few other colleges as well. Trinity is a bit picky when it comes to who they accept and don't.

You'll only get an interview (in TCD anyway) on the basis of your application so make sure you put a lot of effort into it, especially on the prior education/work/voluntary experience section. The drop-out rate amongst mature students is very high so you really have to prove that can stick the course out. Tbh if you can't point to something pretty solid your chances of getting into the big places like Trinity are pretty slim.

If you think you may be lacking in this area you should apply to an access course as backup. Most of the big university's run them, including Trinity and UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Exactly, that last comment makes a lot of sense..
    Another thing that i'm doing is applying for FETAC courses in the same or similar field I want to get into as a back-up. The FETAC courses aren't too hard to get into so if Trinity or UCD don't accept me this year i'll do a FETAC course for the year and show how serious I am.

Also there are plenty of evening courses out there that start every few months or so. Do one of these in a related field and they will see that you're keen...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 jakfrost

Hi Gordon, I went through the process last year and am now enjoying 1st year in TCD.Hopefully, some of this will be of use to you.

Firstly, get yourself to the mature student open day.It's on around this time of year. It will not only give you a chance to ask questions but it will get you known to someone who may have some say in whether you're selected or not.

Secondly, the answers you receive will help you filter what is important or not with regards the application form.

Also, I asked the lecturer straight out if he thought I had a chance. I said I'm this age, I've this much experience, I've considered whether this is the course for me for x number of years, I've saved x amount of money which should allow me to concentrate on my studies. He gave me a straight answer and said taking all that into consideration you should have enough to get to the interview stage and from there it's up to you.You'd be surprised how much confidence this can give you when filling out that form.

You said you're hoping to go back to college this year, so am i right in thinking you've been there before?If so, is your new course relevant to your old one in any way?If yes then be sure to show how they link up on the application form.

I'd just like to add from my previous comment above, I didn't get into college last year. :( I did however get called for interview and the reason I wasn't successful was that I didn't have a science background (I previously studied Art). I wrote to the two colleges that I was interviewed at, Trinity and UL and asked where I could improve my application for this year. I have done everything they suggested.

I am currently on the Access to Science and Engineering course at UCD. I contacted the colleges again to let them know I'm doing this course and whether along with work experience in the area I want to study, will it strengthen my application. I did this also to help them hopefully remember me and my determination to do the course.;)

I now feel I'm well prepared for the interview (hopefully) when I get called next March/April/May. I've learnt so much about the area I want to study from work experience and I think I will have an edge over others by showing my determination to get onto this course!

So if you're determined to do a course of study there is always a way in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 An Scoil Dlí

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd just like to add from my previous comment above, I didn't get into college last year. :( I did however get called for interview and the reason I wasn't successful was that I didn't have a science background (I previously studied Art). I wrote to the two colleges that I was interviewed at, Trinity and UL and asked where I could improve my application for this year. I have done everything they suggested.

I am currently on the Access to Science and Engineering course at UCD. I contacted the colleges again to let them know I'm doing this course and whether along with work experience in the area I want to study, will it strengthen my application. I did this also to help them hopefully remember me and my determination to do the course.;)

I now feel I'm well prepared for the interview (hopefully) when I get called next March/April/May. I've learnt so much about the area I want to study from work experience and I think I will have an edge over others by showing my determination to get onto this course!

So if you're determined to do a course of study there is always a way in. :)

Hi,

Are you not guaranteed a place at UCD with that access course?

Would you consider UCD in September?

• Advertisement

Yes the access to Science and Engineering course does guarantee entry into some courses in UCD - with 60% overall mark you can get into the Science Omnibus and a lot of the AgScience courses and with 70% overall mark Engineering courses. But the course I want to do (I think all of the health science courses, including Medicine) is decided on an invidual basis. There's only 3 places for mature students on that particular course.

I have got better feedback from Trinity and UL than UCD. Not impressed at all with the department of the course I want to study at UCD. They have no time for mature students at all it seems. Anyway, Trinity is closer to me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 An Scoil Dlí

Larianne wrote: »
    Yes the access to Science and Engineering course does guarantee entry into some courses in UCD - with 60% overall mark you can get into the Science Omnibus and a lot of the AgScience courses and with 70% overall mark Engineering courses. But the course I want to do (I think all of the health science courses, including Medicine) is decided on an invidual basis. There's only 3 places for mature students on that particular course.

I have got better feedback from Trinity and UL than UCD. Not impressed at all with the department of the course I want to study at UCD. They have no time for mature students at all it seems. Anyway, Trinity is closer to me. :D

Hi Larianne,

That’s a pity. I don’t think each department in UCD are completely familiar with mature students. I know UCD in general do look after / cater for mature students in a positive way. The Access Officer (Office of Director of Access) and the team there do seem to be pretty good – in general, however on an individual basis – I don’t know!

Did you ever think of doing the UCD Medicine - Graduate Entry DN102?

Yes, Trinity does sound appealing….. On a lighter note…. You should watch the UCD events calendar for the colours debate, where TCD v UCD – in a head to head! I think they are on Tuesday evening – maybe next semester.

Well, I wish you well, I personally admire you on the Science course ( I like / am interested in the area), but…. Maths was not one of my favourite subjects – I am an undergraduate law student. (for fear of ever crossing paths with a calculator!) :)

I'm hoping to do Physio not Medicine. :) I'm not dissing UCD at all. I'm sure most of the departments are very welcoming to mature applicants. The people in Access are extremely helpful!

Just to say, Maths was my worst subject at school and I was very nervous starting the course. But UCD have a Maths Support Centre open to all UCD students. It's a drop-in centre where tutors help you with any Maths problems. It is just brilliant! I've dropped by a few times and you are never made feel stupid and they help you until you are sure of the particular method.

I'm now flying along with the Maths. I do have to put in a lot of work with the subject. I know I don't have a mathematical mind but taking each step at a time I can get my head around the different topics. I'm hoping for an A in my exam next week! :)

I know this is a bit off topic but hopefully potential mature students will read this and realise that it is possible and go back to study and the support is there. Including yourself An Scoil Dlí!

Advertisement