Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Query

Options
  • 07-12-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all quick question filled my car in tesco cost me €55 miles on the dash read about 750,filled the car in topaz week and half later same money spent bought at the same price as tesco but miles on the dash only read about 585 any answers:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Juat variations i suppose. Your car doesn't know what type of petrol you put in, so intially just after putting the petrol in it would be a computer error. I wouldn't really trust those trip computers anyway, they are generally just a guide. Not 100% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

so intially just after putting the petrol in it would be a computer error
    Because it's a diesel! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Del Boy74

cheers lads thought it might be computer in car, if I drive the car fairly easy can nearly put 70-80 miles back onto the readout on dash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

those computers are a bit stupid tbh, just reset the trip when ya fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Because it's a diesel! :)

I try to avoid that word:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The computer in your car recalculates your distance to the pump as you drive.

Switch on the air con and the distance to pump goes down.

Drive in a low gear and driving hard will affect your mileage. If you do motorway driving after you fill up you get a better distance to pump.

Thats the workings for my car anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dreddfan

Here's a simple way to think about it, if you keep the needle on the rev meter as low as possible, get into high gear as quickly as possibe and try to avoid braking as much as possible, your fuel efficiency will go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dreddfan wrote: »
    Here's a simple way to think about it, if you keep the needle on the rev meter as low as possible, get into high gear as quickly as possibe and try to avoid braking as much as possible, your fuel efficiency will go up.

Boring. We will be wearing beige next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Boring. We will be wearing beige next.

Hehehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Del Boy74 wrote: »
    Hello all quick question filled my car in tesco cost me €55 miles on the dash read about 750,filled the car in topaz week and half later same money spent bought at the same price as tesco but miles on the dash only read about 585 any answers:confused:

Some trip computers calculate the range based on your usage over the last 80km or so - not the full tank.

So if you were driving around town prior to filling up, the calculated range will be less than if you've just completed a long drive.

BTW, did you get 750 miles out of it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement