Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

forgot to save MS word file!!!:(

• 07-12-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

So as the title says my dad was working on one of his end of yr essays in MS Word for the last 4 hrs and he hadn't saved. He closed the program, go the auto do u want to save prompt and clicked no by accident. So what I want to know is, is there anyway he can recover all the work he did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:(

A friend did the same as we were working on a college project back in the day but it was 'only' 2 hours work.

Short answer, no.

the auto-recovery only works if word crashes and it'll recover teh file.

auto save also I think the tmp file is deleted when word is closed as we couldnt find any trace of the file anywhere. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i had a look around a few other websites to see if there was another way. Unfortunately i found nothing after searching through the temp files folder and doing a few wildcard searches. Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭DenMan

Sorry to hear about your father's work. Next time have him save the file (while in your presence) and then have word auto save his work every 5 mins or so when he is hard at it. Poor guy. Hopefully he can get back on track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Office 2003+ has a backup file system thingy, can recover some files when Windows inevitably crashes!!

Presume you looked already, but worth a shot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah i know i told him he should save his work regularly. i think he's back up to speed now. I didn't know there was an auto save function. Is that available in MS word 2000?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

stevire wrote: »
    Office 2003+ has a backup file system thingy, can recover some files when Windows inevitably crashes!!

Presume you looked already, but worth a shot....
    Back in the 1980's all word processors created backup files by default. 360KB disks were a million times smaller than today's hard drives , yet backup copies are not default for office :confused:

you could try photorec to see if it pickups anything ( unlikely ) or search for files containing text in the %temp% folder (a long shot)

chances are that if you have enough RAM word worked totally in that and the document was gone forever a few seconds* after the computer was switched off :(

*few seconds, if you used freeze spray to cool the ram chip to -40 and have the NSA ready to retrieve the data

Ctrl-S saves. It takes almost no time and you don't even need to take your hands off the keyboard. Do it early and often.

Advertisement