Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone problems ..

• 07-12-2008 3:26pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got a 3G 8GB iPhone about 3 days ago and starting to regret it as a bad buy. It's not even the limited data bundle, ridiculously overcharged bill package. It's the little things. Like when I got the phone and went through the horrendously overcomplicated way of activating the phone the internet connection refused to work. The guys at the call centre recommended I download iTunes using the handset instead of using my laptop and synching, when I asked how I was supposed to do that without a working internet connection on the phone they seemed a bit nonplussed that I would bring this up. They proceeded then to tell me it definitely wasn't a settings problem and that I should contact Apple, even though all the other phone functions worked perfectly (calls in and out, SMS in and out).

A quick google later and it turned out that it was a settings problem (for those who run into the same problem go to settings->general->network->cellular data network and change the APN from internet to open.internet). So grand worked it out on my own, had a fully working phone and have to say was very happy with it. No games as standard but loads of apps and features. I was a happy camper.

So went to bed, woke up next day and internet still working but now I can't send SMS. Tried settings the Cellular Data Network APN back to internet, no effect. Tried resetting the phone, no effect. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how have they fixed it? Getting a bit fed up of all this and considering sending the phone back but would much prefer just to get these things fixed so I can use the phone (which I really like).

Any ideas? Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Hi all,

Got a 3G 8GB iPhone about 3 days ago and starting to regret it as a bad buy. It's not even the limited data bundle, ridiculously overcharged bill package. It's the little things. Like when I got the phone and went through the horrendously overcomplicated way of activating the phone the internet connection refused to work. The guys at the call centre recommended I download iTunes using the handset instead of using my laptop and synching, when I asked how I was supposed to do that without a working internet connection on the phone they seemed a bit nonplussed that I would bring this up. They proceeded then to tell me it definitely wasn't a settings problem and that I should contact Apple, even though all the other phone functions worked perfectly (calls in and out, SMS in and out).

A quick google later and it turned out that it was a settings problem (for those who run into the same problem go to settings->general->network->cellular data network and change the APN from internet to open.internet). So grand worked it out on my own, had a fully working phone and have to say was very happy with it. No games as standard but loads of apps and features. I was a happy camper.

So went to bed, woke up next day and internet still working but now I can't send SMS. Tried settings the Cellular Data Network APN back to internet, no effect. Tried resetting the phone, no effect. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so how have they fixed it? Getting a bit fed up of all this and considering sending the phone back but would much prefer just to get these things fixed so I can use the phone (which I really like).

Any ideas? Anyone?

Doesn't sound as though it has anything to do with the APN (or the phone itself for that matter). Do you have another handset that you can try SMS-MO in?

Download iTunes using the iPhone? QUE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Any ideas? Anyone?

Take it back and get a refund before it's 2 late, Plenty of cooler phones than the iphone out there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Take it back and get a refund before it's 2 late, Plenty of cooler phones than the iphone out there....

Curious, what would suggest as being a cooler phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hi all,

Got a 3G 8GB iPhone about 3 days ago and starting to regret it as a bad buy. It's not even the limited data bundle, ridiculously overcharged bill package.

Did you not think of these things before you signed up for the iPhone? :) Seriously, 1Gig is loads. I am using the 2G iPhone on a 250Mb bundle, and I haven't yet gone over it (and I stream radio from the net, since the iPhone doesn't have a radio).
    It's the little things. Like when I got the phone and went through the horrendously overcomplicated way of activating the phone the internet connection refused to work.

I wouldn't say it was complicated at all. Try jailbreaking it. :)

The guys at the call centre recommended I download iTunes using the handset instead of using my laptop and synching, when I asked how I was supposed to do that without a working internet connection on the phone they seemed a bit nonplussed that I would bring this up. They proceeded then to tell me it definitely wasn't a settings problem and that I should contact Apple, even though all the other phone functions worked perfectly (calls in and out, SMS in and out).

Not sure what you are talking about here - you can't download iTunes via the phone itself.
    So went to bed, woke up next day and internet still working but now I can't send SMS.

What error are you getting when you say you can't send SMS? It's very unusual for the settings to change like that.
    Horgan wrote: »

I am sure he would say ABiP - Anything but the iPhone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Horgan wrote: »

LG KC910 Renoir,sony c905,sony x1 to name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

I'd take iphone over any of them phones any day . And i have used them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i've used them all bar the sony, the iphone is the last one i'd take...and i'm an apple fan but not a fan of the iphone...

Advertisement