Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe

Options
  • 07-12-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice.

What are peoples thoughts on this car? Does it give many problems?
    What sould I be looking to pay for around an 03-05 version?
    How are they in terms of performance, nice to drive etc?

More importantly, are they generally considered a girly car?

Thanks

Flynn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

The older version was the girly car. Think it looks well IMO.

Performance wise I'd go for at least the 2 litre (~140bhp) or 2.7 V6 (~170bhp) although its certainly not the quickest coupe going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I like te look of it myself. Im not really concerned about speed, im more concerned with reliability etc?

If I do decide to go for one I dont want to be stiffed on the price so does any guide on this would be extremely helpful.

Flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

Had one the newer model in 1.6, reliable, comfortable,good mpg,half leather/sunroof/elecs ect ect but fairly slow, depends on what you want from it performance wise, have driven the 2.0l and pretty decent. For an extra few quid definitely get the newer model, if nothing else for resale.

All that being said it is a Hyundai:D, would you think about a celica vvti/vvtl 1.8, better performance and looks better also, toyota reliability=rock solid

I like te look of it myself. Im not really concerned about speed, im more concerned with reliability etc?

If I do decide to go for one I dont want to be stiffed on the price so does any guide on this would be extremely helpful.

Flynn

Below are cheapest on carzone, they vary hugely in price with 2.0l's more exp obvic, irrespective of below prices below, would offer 1.5/2k less and let them take it or leave it! Its a buyers marker for sure

Photo
    Description

Year
    Seller
    Colour
    Engine
    Price

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Coupe's are a grand car. I've driven a 1.6 and there is enough of go in it, mind you it's no rocket. Very low down seating position and they are a very heavy car to drive. Try buy 05, as you will get the facelifted model with the tinted front lights, rather than the clear lights and orange indicators that come on the previous years.

I can imagine, for what it's worth, there would be much point in going for the 2.0 or the 2.7, as i can't imagine them being a rocket ship either. Tax and consumption on top of that, there's a reason why there wasn't huge numbers of them sold.

Get one with good spec, alot of them did. Ie. leather and a sunroof and a nice set of wheels.

Back seats haven't got great space and are a bit clausterphobic. But then again they are there if you need them.

I know a fella with one, on his second, has his current since new, drives it a 40 mile round trip each day and has not had one problem. 90,000kms on it now. (Timing belt recently cost him around €400 from Hyundai, incl a water pump). He changes the oil himself every 10,000kms.

No major wear on the car, the drivers side seat seems to be holding up to him getting in and out, although it's starting to show slight signs of wear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

Flynn

I've owned and sold a few over the years and as far as reliability goes the coupe's are generally quite good.
    Pm me if ya like Flynn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I used to have an '02 one and the only problem with it was a dodgy electric window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

looks and power definitely favour the Celica.even the standard one's are very quick, the special 190ps one's are rockets.looking at carzone you could get a 02 one for something to similar to what you pay for a similar age'd Coupe.Celica wont depricate as much either.

if your going to get a sport's car shouldnt you get one that performs like one?Coupe are nice to look at but 103ps and 0-60 11.5s is a bit underwhelming!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    if your going to get a sport's car shouldnt you get one that performs like one?Coupe are nice to look at but 103ps and 0-60 11.5s is a bit underwhelming!
    Why? The OP's already said that he's not really concerned with speed.

It isn't all about power.

Edit: Anan1 in there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Anan1 wrote: »
    Why? The OP's already said that he's not really concerned with speed.

speaking from a man with a 1.3 lancer :D
    sorry OP i want what i dont have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Yes. You won't get away with the red one. Definitely a girls one

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Quite like the look of the coupes myself, considering getting an 02/03 ne come the new year, seems to tick most of the boxes, looks well, drives well, decent performance and cheap tax insurance on the 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

I own an 04 2L Auto and it is great to drive.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Iv been looking around and I have found a few models I like.

What are your thoughts and advice on the following:

In general there a couple if coupe's with 35-40000 miles for around €9500-€10500ish for years 03 and 04. But I have also found a tuscani version of the car with 44,000 miles and the dealer is looking for €11950 year 2004.

Firstly what does the tuscani model offer, more or less etc??? and does it warrant a increase in price of that much.

If I was to make an offer what would you say I start my offer at considering im trading in an 00' seat ibiza which has recently passed the nct but only yesterday got its mirror smashed by a truck:mad:

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your help and knowledge.

Flynn

Keep the Ibiza, buy straight deal and sell the Ibiza private. For the worth of the Ibiza you would probably get the same off on a straight deal.

As for the Tuscani, i'm fairly sure that was another countries version of the same car, so it's more than likely an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

fraid so

Ye forgot to mention, it was bought from England and has already been registered here. Does it have any extra features? Higher levels of performance?

The body also seems to be slightly different aswell but not entirely sure.

Ye forgot to mention, it was bought from England and has already been registered here. Does it have any extra features? Higher levels of performance?

The body also seems to be slightly different aswell but not entirely sure.

I'm fairly sure it wasn't brought in from England, as from what i know it was given that name in the south Korean markets. Tbh, for what it's worth i'd stay away from it.

Pretty sure this was posted before, but in fairness its still funny!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/LAMBORGH/200840190277860/advert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

looks and power definitely favour the Celica.even the standard one's are very quick, the special 190ps one's are rockets.looking at carzone you could get a 02 one for something to similar to what you pay for a similar age'd Coupe.Celica wont depricate as much either.

Coupe has very high resale value, more so than the Celica when you consider the €13k or so difference that there was in their new prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

victor1 wrote: »
    Pretty sure this was posted before, but in fairness its still funny!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/LAMBORGH/200840190277860/advert

ahahaha, imagine how badly your head would hurt after a week of that thing. Who ever thought that would be a good idea should be shot.

defo, maybe idea of those doors would work as a novelty item on a more prestigous car, but a hyundai coupe, c'mmmmon :(- and from the price they are charging a premium for it too. The coupe is what it is, its a grand looking car, comfortable, reliabl;e, caters for low enough end of the sports car market, fairly afordable,depreciates a fair bit but prob comparably the same as other typre motors , but it is what it is -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

I got this brand new in aug for €25k, full price below, payed cash & played a few garages off each other to get best price.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Hyundai/Coupe/1.6-FX-H/200836189913859/advert

If you can id wait till mid jan or feb, will be usual rush for the first wk or two in jan then the market will die again & bargains will be had.

Advertisement