Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twilight readers out there?

Options
  • 07-12-2008 4:55pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭

I scrolled a couple of pages and didnt see a thread on twilight so I though I'd start one.

I just finished reading the saga, I saw the movie first and then I was hooked. I started reading the first book that night.

I thought it would not be something Id be interested in, I thought it was merely a teenage love story about a vampire.. whoa, I was wrong.

I went to see the movie with my friend because she wanted to see it, I had no desire to even see the movie, I am so glad I did.
    It is the first time I have seen a movie that followed the book almot exact! I mean word for word line for line... its like the book itself was the script.

I rad the entire saga in a week, I should have rad it slower because now I WANT MORE! I miss it truely, if you havnt read it then Id definitley suggest it,, especially if you are a fan of vampire/werewoves ;)

Did anyone else find it uncanny how true the film was to the book?

I hear they are already signed on to make films for book 2 and 3!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TBH I'd say a large proportion of the teens going to it, are going because of the sound track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Im a fan :) soooo addictive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I was forced into reading the first one by my 16 year old and I wasn't disappointed. I read the second one last week and as soon as my daughter is finished re-reading book number three I'll start it. I'm looking forward to the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Through a combination of persuasive female friends and my own gayness I've also read the saga. Thought the first was awful (to be fair, this was mainly due to the excessive wanky descriptions of Edward's face/chest), enjoyed 2 and 3, and Breaking Dawn was, in my opinion, the greatest cop out in the history of series-ending books. Just... so bad.

Haven't seen the movie, probably catch it next week. Not too sure about the sequels as I remember Myer confirming that making Breaking Dawn a movie was patently impossible (due to the new character introduced in this book being impossible to create on film convincingly... think about it).

The hype and hormones surrounding this whole thing scare me greatly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I love the soundtrak too, I got it right after I saw the movie...
    as far as there being a 4th movie...ofcourse there will be! have you no concept of CG? special effects... if they can make men look like hobits they can make the "new character" for those who havnt read that far yet ;)

Book two frustrated me to no end, I was glad at the end though :)

I am 31 and just love it, there is no age limit on imagination...
    thought she wrapped up book 4 beautifully.. she wanted it to end so she did it and very well I thought.

Ofcourse Id rather see it go on...and it very well could...but for what it is I loved it.
    If she were so inclined she could take the story on for a few more books...unfortunatly she will not.
    *sigh*

I guess I will just have to read it all over again :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

BEAT wrote: »
    I love the soundtrak too, I got it right after I saw the movie...
    as far as there being a 4th movie...ofcourse there will be! have you no concept of CG? special effects... if they can make men look like hobits they can make the "new character" for those who havnt read that far yet ;)

Book two frustrated me to no end, I was glad at the end though :)

I am 31 and just love it, there is no age limit on imagination...
    thought she wrapped up book 4 beautifully.. she wanted it to end so she did it and very well I thought.

Ofcourse Id rather see it go on...and it very well could...but for what it is I loved it.
    If she were so inclined she could take the story on for a few more books...unfortunatly she will not.
    *sigh*

I guess I will just have to read it all over again :D
    Meh, I'm just repeating what came out of Stephenie Myer's own mouth.

Spoiler for those who've only read book 1:
    Honestly, didn't it seem a bit ridiculous to you that she spent 2 books building up this Jacob-or-Edward conflict in Bella and in Book 4 just... made it go away? With absolutely no lingering emotions in either party? Seriously hated that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

*raises hand shamefully*

I'll admit that I turned into a bit of a 15 year old girl while I was reading these books. I haven't seen the film yet but that hasn't stopped me swooning over Robert Pattinson.

Despite the "omigod isn't he the most perfect, angelic, handsomest boy in the world, I can't believe he likes me. My heart just stopped because he grimaced at me" theme of the first book, I rather liked it.

The second book was probably the best in the series, it actually had something for the characters to work through.

The last book....well, the less said about that the better. It's like Meyer had fallen so in love with the characters that she couldn't force herself to write anything negative into the story. It was just wrapped up in a neat little package where no one had to go through any hardship to get what they wanted.
    Jacob imprinting on the ridiculously named child? Creepy and stupidly convenient. Bella not being a violent, bloodthirsty monster after she changed like every single other vampire ever? Convenient again.

In fact, Bella shouldn't have been able to get pregnant at all! Meyer states several times that vampires don't have bodily fluids, they can't cry, they don't bleed, ergo they can't impregnate their weirdly enthusiastic 18 year old wives.

And the kid being full grown in 7 years? Well isn't that just dandy for Jacob who won't have to wait around for long before he finally gets some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I had to read this to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say I'm none the wiser.

Walls of adjectives; unlikable protagonist; non-existant ancillary characters; endless, repetetive dialogue...I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

I haven't read it yet, but I decided that the next time I go to a bookstore I'm gonna buy the first one! :D

-Blue- :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

Male fan here. I heard we are quite rare. ;)

Twilight was fine. It was a bit mushy for my liking. New Moon was the best, IMO. Eclipse was great. And Breaking Dawn could have been better.

I don't know how Stephanie did it, but the books are addictive. I don't think it's healthy for me to be reading them over and over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Got all 4 for Christmas, I'm nearly finished Eclipse, finding it very hard to put them down.

for those of you who do not yet know, she was writing the series over again in Edwards perspective! its called midnight sun and you can read 12 chapters on her website, it was leaked out and she was upset so she put it online...you can read all about it on her website.
    I hope she finishes the series!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I had to read this to see what all the fuss was about, and I have to say I'm none the wiser.

Walls of adjectives; unlikable protagonist; non-existant ancillary characters; endless, repetetive dialogue...I don't get it.

my feelings exactly. I found the whole series weirdly compelling but felt cheated out of weeks of my life afterwards. It got more ridiculous with each book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Ckal

for those of you who do not yet know, she was writing the series over again in Edwards perspective! its called midnight sun and you can read 12 chapters on her website, it was leaked out and she was upset so she put it online...you can read all about it on her website.
    I hope she finishes the series!!!

Yeah, Midnight Sun is Twilight through Edward. It could be quite good if it's done right... which I'm sure it will be considering she already has the skeleton to work with.

I agree that Breaking Dawn wasn't the best. I would have preferred if Bella had to struggle with her crossover rather than make an easy transition. Nessie was also a mistake, I think. It would have been better if it was Jacob's baby, so it was semi-normal (but the baby would turn into a shape-shifter if Bella were to stay with Edward. Your father being your natural enemy, and vice versa).

But I guess you can't change the past :P I hope there are more books after Midnight Sun. I know Stephanie said that books from Bella's perspective are now over and Midnight Sun would be the only book from Ed's POV. I would love a Jasper book based on what we already know of him. Jasper Whitlock from Texas and how he turned into a vampire and his life to present day. Alice would do a good book too. Or maybe interlink the two like the Bella/Jacob/Bella Breaking Dawn. A Rosalie/Emmet book would be great too. We don't know that much about Emmet. We know how Rosalie got changed, but more story would be nice. Esme and Carilse could share a book too because we know very little about their relationship before Twilight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Arcee wrote: »
    my feelings exactly. I found the whole series weirdly compelling but felt cheated out of weeks of my life afterwards. It got more ridiculous with each book

Yes, ridiculously amazing, I'm way too old to be in love with this book/film but I've never swooned so much in my life, I've broken up with my bf cos he wasnt iridescent in the sun light. I got all my female friends into the book and now we have degenerated into a giggley bunch of pre teens....aww well. :)
    Have to say though I kinda rooted for Jacob throughout the books, he had a bit more uuummph than Edward I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm late 20's, never read chick lit or romance type things. Bought Twilight yesterday & started it & I really like it so far - addictive. Want to finish it before seeing the movie. I'm glad to hear that the 2nd in the series is good too as often the other books in a series don't live up to the one that was made into a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

I loved the idea behind "Twilight". In fact I loved reading the entire series but after"Breaking Dawn" I felt cheated too. Ironically it wasn't as believable as "Twilight" and "New Moon". I think the author lost track of her characters. I think I feel the brilliant idea could have been written better. Bella never changes that much. I feel she doesn't develop much as a character.
    Anyone else feel that Jacob's P.O.V in "breaking dawn" whilst enjoyable meant that we were distanced from Bella until after the transformation?Also for a series that had no sex for three books, I thought there was too much in the last one. Bella's behaviour was kind of embarrasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Dante

Just finished New Moon...its good but seems to get repetitive. I have a feeling the last two books might be a struggle!

Just finished New Moon...its good but seems to get repetitive. I have a feeling the last two books might be a struggle!

the last 2 books wont be hard at al book 2 was a struggle for most people so I have heard but books 3 and 4 are so much better and a much more interesting read ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I fly through books but took my time reading Breaking Dawn cuz I didn't want it al lto be over...:o

Would be brill if she kept writing.... She had loads to work with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a massive fan of the series. I'm currently re-reading them as I missed not having the books to look forward to. For anyone reading New Moon, its a very slow book, but in the end its more than worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I haven't read the Twilight series yet, but The Host is excellent. She has a fantastic imagination and really does write well. There's no sense of patronising her teenage audience - I was very impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

The books are not as bad as quite a few people make them out to be, but I still didn't enjoy reading them. I did, however, love Jacob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I loved all the books.! I read all in 4 days because I couldnt put them down. I cant find any fault with them except the absence of Edward in new moon. I have read them three times but cant read them again 'cause I lent Twilight out ta a friend and they wont give it back.!

Dont think i wanna read the spoiler of midnight sun until Stephenie decides to release the book.

All in all the books were 11/10:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

I just got the first book, and, only reading the first chapter, I think it's really, really good! Unputdownable, you might say. :D

-Blue- :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I still really liked Breaking Dawn. Does no one else feel the same? I think what I liked about it (and I do realise the plot line was a bit out there) was the chunk from Jacob's POV & fact that whole thing got a bit darker, more drama.

I've read them twice, weirdly addictive even though they are no pinnacle of literature. I agree, would love a Jasper/Alice or Carlisle book. Don't know about Rosalie/Emmett book, but why the hell not. They don't seem to have enough substance as characters to do that.

I liked what I read of Midnight Sun. He sounds so cantankerous

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

My whole office (all girls except for myself and another lad) are addicted to it and their ages range from 20 to 35....its unbelievable how engross they are in it!!

Half thinking of reading them myself but dunno if it is my thing..despite liking Vampires and all things Supernatural, seems a bit too much like a sickly OTT love story to me.

Mink wrote: »
    I still really liked Breaking Dawn. Does no one else feel the same? I think what I liked about it (and I do realise the plot line was a bit out there) was the chunk from Jacob's POV & fact that whole thing got a bit darker, more drama.

I've read them twice, weirdly addictive even though they are no pinnacle of literature. I agree, would love a Jasper/Alice or Carlisle book. Don't know about Rosalie/Emmett book, but why the hell not. They don't seem to have enough substance as characters to do that.

I liked what I read of Midnight Sun. He sounds so cantankerous

well tbh I dont give a crap about jacob and hated the whole book of jacob things and chapters of just him....but yes I did really enjoy breaking dawn. I liked it because for once a book ends exactley how I wanted it too...the way it should have ended imo. I love how she pulled it together...I ofcourse wish it were longer (the series) but al in all love the whole story line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

well tbh I dont give a crap about jacob and hated the whole book of jacob things and chapters of just him....but yes I did really enjoy breaking dawn. I liked it because for once a book ends exactley how I wanted it too...the way it should have ended imo. I love how she pulled it together...I ofcourse wish it were longer (the series) but al in all love the whole story line.

+1 I could have written that post as you say "for once a book ends exactly how I wanted it too..." Loved all 4 books and the 12 chapters of Midnight Sun but now I've no books to read that hold my interest!:( (can anyone who enjoyed the twilight saga recommend anything good?)

Advertisement