Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap Reilable Car Max €1000

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Am i missing something, or are those pictures of completely different cars for the same ad on the civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Am i missing something, or are those pictures of completely different cars for the same ad on the civic?

Yes what a silly seller.

I would pay the money and expect to be handed the keys to the 1997.

Oh yeah. Would I pay €550 for a 91 Civic. No. He should pay you 550 to take it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

That's what it looks like when it's washed ................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Yes, try reading the ad...

OT - Families 98 Almera is still going strong after 130k miles, no major problems just wear and tear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Friend of mine has had a 98 VW Polo for the last 8 months and its been nothing but trouble, alternator belt seized up today.He's going to try and replace it tomorrow, but even if he does manage to get going, its going up for sale.The belt that broke was the belt from the engine to the alternator and after ringing around it be serious if it did seize.

So whats a reliable car?
    Did the alternator itself seize or was it just that the belt broke? The reason I ask is that the alternator belt is liable to need replacing on any car, it's not a reason to sell the Polo and buy a different make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Yes what a silly seller.

I would pay the money and expect to be handed the keys to the 1997.

Oh yeah. Would I pay €550 for a 91 Civic. No. He should pay you 550 to take it off him.

how much should you pay someone to take a '91 peugeot 405 off your hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

towel401 wrote: »
    how much should you pay someone to take a '91 peugeot 405 off your hands?

To scrap the car costs around €500 so aim around that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Friend of mine has had a 98 VW Polo for the last 8 months and its been nothing but trouble, alternator belt seized up today.

There is no such thing as a "reliable" car for €1000, the best you can hope for is to buy a very cheap car and hope you will be lucky with it.

I don't think the make or model matters a whole pile at that level to be honest.
    To scrap the car costs around €500 so aim around that amount.

With the price of steel I though the scrappers were giving a few bob, but either way since the ELV directive, it is free if you bring the car to some appointed place or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

maidhc wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a "reliable" car for €1000, the best you can hope for is to buy a very cheap car and hope you will be lucky with it.

Have you ever run a sub €1K motor?

Car i'm driving at the min cost €1200 and a year later and 30K miles later and not one break down or spenditure on non essential service parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Have you ever run a sub €1K motor?

I most certainly have!

My point is if you buy a car for that price it will carry a lot of baggage from how it was previously maintained, and while it may be ultra reliable, the clutch, gearbox and engine may fall out just as easily.

E.g. there is a lot of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hi OP,

If you can squeeze another 500 euro I am selling a 99 NIssan Micra in perfect condition with only 61000 miles on the clock. Its taxed and Ncted until the end of next year. Has 3 doors, black colour, airbags, radio/cd, central locking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I drove a 1991 Corolla(Jap import) for just over 2 years. Cost 500 Euro with 170,000KMS on the clock. In that time I put 4 tyres on it & serviced it before the NCT, which it sailed thru'. Sold it last Feb for 350. Go for a Corolla if you can get a half decent one.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,248 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That Civic and Almera are overpriced. A mate of mine bought a 1999 Almera two weeks ago for €1450, it is better condition than that 97 one and came with a 3 month engine & gearbox warranty plus 12 months NCT.

Of the 3 mentioned there I would go for the 323f.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

.The belt that broke was the belt from the engine to the alternator and after ringing around it be serious if it did seize.

A broken fan belt (the name goes back to a time when the
    radiator fan was belt driven) is usually not a big deal.
    It could be more expensive if the broken belt was caused
    by a seized alternator. This is very easy to check. Can you
    turn the alternator by hand?
    So whats a reliable car?

According to http://reliabilityindex.co.uk the Honda Accord is
    the most reliable car on the road. A look at the top 100 list
    for the UK shows that all ten of the top ten are Japanese.
    Not good news for the european car industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Another vote for the 323f

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did the alternator itself seize or was it just that the belt broke? The reason I ask is that the alternator belt is liable to need replacing on any car, it's not a reason to sell the Polo and buy a different make.

we got it working again, the belt broke and it was roasting hot.We got a belt for it from a scrap yard near by and it seems to be ok now.i know every car will have its problems but that Polo has been in and out of the workshop too many times now.

homer90 wrote: »
    Another vote for the 323f

323f is looking nice.only worry is wouldnt they have been drivin by kamikazes?lovely looking car if a little girly.

hbr wrote: »
    A broken fan belt (the name goes back to a time when the
    radiator fan was belt driven) is usually not a big deal.
    It could be more expensive if the broken belt was caused
    by a seized alternator. This is very easy to check. Can you
    turn the alternator by hand?

good to hear it wasnt that serious after all :o
    According to http://reliabilityindex.co.uk the Honda Accord is
    the most reliable car on the road. A look at the top 100 list
    for the UK shows that all ten of the top ten are Japanese.
    Not good news for the european car industry!

i guess prices reflect this.all the one's are carzone are quite expensive big cars too all 1.8 or bigger

Advertisement