Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical sockets blown - help

Options
  • 07-12-2008 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Last night i returned to my apartment (5 years old), switched on the radio, then the kettle and then lit a cigarette lighter. There was an immediate bang and all of the electrical sockets in the apartment have been out of action since.

I wasnt doing anything stupid with the lighter, just using it as normal. Can anyone explained what happened? Do I simply need to replace a fuse on the fuse board? I haven't had a chance to look at it yet - but what should I look for? The lighting circuit and cooker circuit are fine - but electrical sockets are all out of action along with power to the shower

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Maybe its the kettle that is faulty. reset the trip switches and see if sockets are ok. Unplug the kettle at first. If everything is ok at the sockets then try the kettle again, if it blows the power throw it out. Dont know why the shower has no power, normally thats on a circuit on its own.
    Lets know how you solve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

More than likely your kettle's wiring is wet. You have tripped the RCD.

You should take a look at your fuse board, it will have a row or possibly two rows of switches. One of these will be down (down is off on these).

Unplug your kettle and anything sensitive e.g. the computer, routers, tv etc

Switch that switch back up.

Plug in your kettle and see if it trips again.

If it does, unplug your kettle base (if it's cordless) and make sure that it's not wet.

If it is wet, allow it to dry over night e.g. place it in the hotpress.

If it continues to trip the RCD, you'll need a new kettle.

Advertisement