Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading power supply in Inspiron 530

Options
  • 07-12-2008 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Looking at buying this PSU, cause I heard it fits the Dell Inspiron 530 with no problems. The Power PC and Cooling Silencer 500.

http://www.memoryc.com/images/products/b/ocz-pcpower-500w-silencer_4936.jpg

But this is a picture of the back on my PC.

dsc00097yy4.th.jpg

Am I right in thinking that this power supply wouldn't fit in my Dell? The power cable seems to be in the wrong place. It looks like it should be on the right hand side. :confused:

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I dont know anything about that psu, but I do know Corsair's VX and OCZ StealthxStream fit and work perfectly.

Corsair Memory 550W or 650W VX PSU's are much better than the cooling silencer one you posted.

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?quicklinx=4Q0T

What are you running to need a new psu?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'm planning on putting in a HD 4830 graphics card.

I thought that Dell used some unique type of PSU so that it was difficult to buy replacements that fit? Mine is from November 2007 if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

samsamson wrote: »
    I'm planning on putting in a HD 4830 graphics card.

I thought that Dell used some unique type of PSU so that it was difficult to buy replacements that fit? Mine is from November 2007 if that makes a difference.

Depends on the model of dell.

Some use regular PSUs others don't

Some do like uberpixie has said, your one will take most standard psu's.I have the same inspiron as you do and I put a corsair 450 vx in to use my 8800gtx.

Oh its a 4830!

Power consumption in that is lower/around 8800gt level which works fine in your computer.The psu's in the dell are not too bad at all, it could have powered my 8800gtx but I wasnt brave enough :pac:

If you go onto dell community forums site you will see alot of users using the HD4830 happily on standard 300watt dell psu.

Did your inspiron 530 come with a quad core or dual core?

The 530 with the Quad uses the 350w PSU, which is enough for even a 8800gtx/HD4850

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I've got a dual core processor and a 305W PSU. I've read people saying the 4670 is fine on this power supply, but haven't found anyone yet saying that a 4830 would be fine.

Obviously if it wouldn't cause a problem then it's happy days for me! :)

"A single Radeon HD 4830/4850/4870 series requires you to have a 400 to 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system, and I think that's barely on the safe side. Also recommended is 26 AMP's on the 12 volts rails for stable power distribution (in a single card configuration). Please make note of the fact that the card uses two 6-pin power connectors."

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-4830-review-his-technology/4

That quote from this review gives me the heebie jeebies though. My current PSU only has 18A on the 12v rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

"A single Radeon HD 4830/4850/4870 series requires you to have a 400 to 500 Watt power supply unit at minimum if you use it in a high-end system, and I think that's barely on the safe side. Also recommended is 26 AMP's on the 12 volts rails for stable power distribution (in a single card configuration). Please make note of the fact that the card uses two 6-pin power connectors."

That quote from this review gives me the heebie jeebies though. My current PSU only has 18A on the 12v rails.

My brothers run a core2duo, 8800GT etc on a 350W PSU.
    I ran a AMD64 3500+ with a X800XTPE (known for very high power consumption) on 240W.

Most power ratings are over stated a wee bit. A good quality psu VS a ****e one with high Watts wins every time.

I've got a dual core processor and a 305W PSU. I've read people saying the 4670 is fine on this power supply, but haven't found anyone yet saying that a 4830 would be fine.

Obviously if it wouldn't cause a problem then it's happy days for me! :)

They say that but when you see dell/others shipping 8800gtx's etc on 350/375watt psu's you know they are playing it safe.i havent put a 4830 into my inspiron/vostro dell pc's but i have had, but i have put similar 8800gt and no problems.Friend of mine has a 4870 in a dimension 9200 375 watt and its working away grand, he had a 8800gtx in it for over a year before that.

I'd say you will be grand with the dell psu.

Advertisement