Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside 2009

• 07-12-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Draw for the BDO World Championship has been made. Some good matches in the first round. Will Robert Wagner beat Gary Anderson again or will he finally show the talent that we all know he has.

Hankey vs Woods should be a good match as should Martin Atkins vs. Joey Ten Berge.

EDDY SIMS (16) (AUS) v ROBERT HUGHES (WAL)

GARY ANDERSON (1) (SCOT) v ROBERT WAGNER (NOR)

TONY O’SHEA (9) (ENG) v DANIEL LARSSON (SWE)

EDWIN MAX (8) (NETH) v KRZYSZTOF RATAJSKI (POL)

SIMON WHITLOCK (12) (AUS) v MARK BARILLI (SCOT)

DARRYL FITTON (5) (ENG) v MARK SALMON (WAL)

STEVE WEST (13) (ENG) v ALAN NORRIS (SWE)

SCOTT WAITES (4) (ENG) v ROSS SMITH (ENG)

JOHN WALTON (15) (ENG) v SHAUN GREATBATCH (ENG)

MARK WEBSTER (2) (WAL) v WILLY VAN DE WIEL (NETH)

ROSS MONTGOMERY (10) (SCOT) v MARTIN PHILLIPS (WAL)

TED HANKEY (7) (ENG) v BRIAN WOODS (ENG)

GARY ROBSON (6) (ENG) v STEPHEN BUNTING (ENG)

MARTIN ATKINS (11) (ENG) v JOEY TEN BERGE (NETH)

GARRY THOMPSON (14) (ENG) v DARYL GURNEY (N. IRELAND)

MARTIN ADAMS (3) (ENG) v DAVE CHISNALL (ENG)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Some very good players in that draw, should be a good tournament.

Anyone know the dates for this? When does it start and end? I presume that it's not going to clash with the PDC tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

It starts on the 3rd of January and I'm guessing that it will finish on Sunday the 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

lakeside1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Interesting they call it the Lakeside World Professionals and not World Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Starting today at 1pm on BBC for all who forgot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Gary Anderson got through the 1st round, which can only be good news for the competition as a whole. It was a tight enough game, finished 3-2 with Anderson pulling ahead in the last 2 sets. Now that he's gotten through the 1st round and overcome that bogey, I reckon we could well be seeing him in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Watched the 1st game, what struck me was how well behaved in comparision to the PDC the crowd was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

sofireland wrote: »
    Watched the 1st game, what struck me was how well behaved in comparision to the PDC the crowd was.

Ye, was thinking the same alright but it always usuall is. No break every 5 mins helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,820 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

My god..Players are useless..Score announcers are useless..Commentators are useless..Crowd are useless..Winmau dartboards are useless..Prize money is useless..

PDC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BDO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

callaway92 wrote: »
    My god..Players are useless..Score announcers are useless..Commentators are useless..Crowd are useless..Winmau dartboards are useless..Prize money is useless..

PDC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>BDO

Not all the players are useless, I'd agree with you on everything apart from that but some players are absolute rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The crowd are useless for what? Not acting like a bunch of beered up apes like you see at PDC events?

The crowd are useless for what? Not acting like a bunch of beered up apes like you see at PDC events?

Not a looker between them:D, They all look depressed. I wouldn't pay to watch this rubbish. I felt suicidal watching the match between
    Sims and Hughes, terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

The 1st round of the PDC had some brutal games as well. Dont see much difference between wade v nicholson game last night and some of these 1st rounders today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

callaway92 wrote: »
    ..Winmau dartboards are useless..
    Nothing wrong with a Blade III board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Shamrok wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a Blade III board.

It's not as good as the Unicorn Eclipse Pro! End of!
    callaway92 wrote:

I agree with all of the above, except the "Players are useless part"! It's true that there's several average players in the 1st round but the same must be said for the 1st round of the PDC Worlds, there was a few players in that who looked like pub players! I will agree that the standard in the PDC is that bit higher though.

You'll find that after the 2nd Round in the Lakeside, it will be just good players, the cream always rises to the top as they say. Just take last year's final for example, twas a quality game altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Watched a small bit earlier on. The Wizard was playing. Hopefully the stanard improves a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

It's not as good as the Unicorn Eclipse Pro! End of!
    Never said it was but it's also not 'useless' which was originally said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The BDO is horrible , the entrances , the players are terrible and its a pick'em as to who will get places to the semi finals , the annoucer is terrible and annoying , Bobby George is a bit of a pain and it is full of sc*mb*gs aswell , I could name a load sbags in the BDO and a few in the PDC. Finally Barney hit about 35 180's up to the final of the PDC and we will be luckey if we see 50 in the whole BDO tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

unknown13 wrote: »
    The BDO is horrible , the entrances , the players are terrible and its a pick'em as to who will get places to the semi finals , the annoucer is terrible and annoying , Bobby George is a bit of a pain and it is full of sc*mb*gs aswell , I could name a load sbags in the BDO and a few in the PDC. Finally Barney hit about 35 180's up to the final of the PDC and we will be luckey if we see 50 in the whole BDO tournament.

Barney, regular finallist in BDO, but regularly beaten as well - much the same as his record in the PDC.

Mervyn King - regular semifinalist in the BDO, semifinalist in the PDC.

Mardle - much the same sort record in both associations.

I'd reckon that (if you leave out the exceptional talent that Phil Taylor is) that there is not a huge lot between the numbers 2-10 in both associations.

I wouldn't want to definitively call games between say Martin Adams and James Wade, or Webster and Lewis, or Anderson and Mardle. All too close to call.

Your comment about seeing less than 50 180s in the whole of the BDO competition - well obviously you are a troll but if you are not would you be willing to have a 1 to 1 bet on that, loads of reliable people here will happily escrow it.

Barney, regular finallist in BDO, but regularly beaten as well - much the same as his record in the PDC.

I'd reckon that (if you leave out the exceptional talent that Phil Taylor is) that there is not a huge lot between the numbers 2-10 in both associations.

I wouldn't want to definitively call games between say Martin Adams and James Wade, or Webster and Lewis, or Anderson and Mardle. All too close to call.

Your comment about seeing less than 50 180s in the whole of the BDO competition - well obviously you are a troll but if you are not would you be willing to have a 1 to 1 bet on that, loads of reliable people here will happily escrow it.

Did you not see the grand slam of darts?
    Both PDC players in the final and muppets like Adams were afraid to play.
    PDC much better

• Advertisement

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Did you not see the grand slam of darts?
    Both PDC players in the final and muppets like Adams were afraid to play.
    PDC much better

You are entitled to your opionion that the PDC is much better.
    But why tell lies though, Adams was contracted to play in another event at the time of GSOD, not 'afraid to play'.

Adams has played in PDC events in 2001 and reached a few semifinals and finals, and I'm fairly sure he had a victory over Taylor during that period.
    Not exactly a 'muppet'.

Barney got fed up and left the BDO

King got to a few World finals in the BDO and will be lucky to get to the same amount in the PDC

Mardle is a good player if he shows up but he is a good fast player.

Now your comment about PDC 2-11 versus BDO 1-10.

Barney -V- Anderson - Barney easily
    Wade -V- Webster - Wade but will be closer than Barney / Anderson
    Part -V- Adams - Part
    Jenkins -V- Waites - Jenkins
    Lewis -V- Fitton - Fitton
    Hamilton -V- Robson - Hamilton
    Mardle -V- Hankey - Mardle
    Tabern -V- Max -Tabern
    Lloyd -V- O' Shea - Lloyd
    Priestley -V- Montgomery - Priestley

I can see only 1 BDO player winning and maybe Hankey and O' Shea would sneak one but thats it PDC would destroy the BDO any day

You are entitled to your opionion that the PDC is much better.
    But why tell lies though, Adams was contracted to play in another event at the time of GSOD, not 'afraid to play'.

Adams has played in PDC events in 2001 and reached a few semifinals and finals, and I'm fairly sure he had a victory over Taylor during that period.
    Not exactly a 'muppet'.

Adams was a good player, now just average and I'm pretty sure he was afraid

Last Updated: Monday, 20 August 2007, 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK o.gifdot_629.gif
    email.gif E-mail this to a friend print.gif Printable version
    Adams rejects Grand Slam invite

_42426739_adams203.jpg Adams finally won his first world crown in January

BDO world darts champion Martin Adams will not be competing in the new Grand Slam event organised by the rival PDC.
    The tournament, from 17-25 November in Wolverhampton, was initially billed as bringing together the best players from across the sport's bitter divide.
    But it clashes with the Winmau World Masters in Bridlington (17-18 Nov), and Adams is committed to the BDO event.
    He said: "Loyalty is not a dirty word in my vocabulary, and I will not be playing in the Grand Slam of Darts."
    The reigning Lakeside title holder and long-time England captain, 51, claimed he has had several phone calls from PDC boss Barry Hearn, asking him to reconsider.
    "He accuses me of having misguided loyalties to the British Darts Organisation and says he feels 'sorry' for me because I don't want to play in his event," Adams said.
    "I've been a BDO player for 25 years and they have made me the player I am today.
    "The truth is, without me involved, the Grand Slam does not deliver what the fans and viewers have been led to expect." The Grand Slam is being televised by ITV, while the World Masters will feature on the BBC. This year's Masters has seen its total prize fund double to £60,000, with the winner banking £25,000.

I'm not a liar

Adams was a good player, now just average and I'm pretty sure he was afraid

Last Updated: Monday, 20 August 2007, 14:09 GMT 15:09 UK o.gifdot_629.gif
    email.gif E-mail this to a friend print.gif Printable version
    Adams rejects Grand Slam invite

_42426739_adams203.jpg Adams finally won his first world crown in January

BDO world darts champion Martin Adams will not be competing in the new Grand Slam event organised by the rival PDC.
    The tournament, from 17-25 November in Wolverhampton, was initially billed as bringing together the best players from across the sport's bitter divide.
    But it clashes with the Winmau World Masters in Bridlington (17-18 Nov), and Adams is committed to the BDO event.
    He said: "Loyalty is not a dirty word in my vocabulary, and I will not be playing in the Grand Slam of Darts."
    The reigning Lakeside title holder and long-time England captain, 51, claimed he has had several phone calls from PDC boss Barry Hearn, asking him to reconsider.
    "He accuses me of having misguided loyalties to the British Darts Organisation and says he feels 'sorry' for me because I don't want to play in his event," Adams said.
    "I've been a BDO player for 25 years and they have made me the player I am today.
    "The truth is, without me involved, the Grand Slam does not deliver what the fans and viewers have been led to expect." The Grand Slam is being televised by ITV, while the World Masters will feature on the BBC. This year's Masters has seen its total prize fund double to £60,000, with the winner banking £25,000.

I'm not a liar

Didn't Barney make 20K off the 9 darter and 25K for the 2nd biggest BDO event of the year , no wonder its terrible the winner of the PL gets 100K

So as I said he had a prior darting commitment, in a BDO televised event.
    It hardly proves that he was 'afraid' to play in the GSOD.
    If there had have been no other darts event that week and he still hadn't turned up, then there might be a grain of truth in your comment.

To be honest the PDC/BDO is a cyclical argument that I've been having with people since about 1996.

The PDC people say they are much better than BDO and that XYZ (the best players from BDO) would have no chance if they came across.
    So they come across, and they actually become quite successful (obviously there's an attrition rate).

At which stage the PDC people say that whats left in the BDO is rubbish, and that new XYZ would have no chance. But again when they come across they again are competitive.

But then the PDC people say thats what left in the BDO etc etc etc etc. Cyclical argument.

Believe it or not PDC people said that Barney wouldn't be top8, that Mardle wouldn't survive, that Hamilton wouldn't win a match etc.
    Bloody hell but back in 1996 people told me that John Part was sticking to the BDO because he wouldn't be able to win a game in the PDC.

As for unknown13s, I'd take Adams or Monty above their opponents.

Ratinkeg, I don't think we are going to change each others minds so I'll leave it there. :)

Finally Barney hit about 35 180's up to the final of the PDC and we will be luckey if we see 50 in the whole BDO tournament.
    would you be willing to have a 1 to 1 bet on that, loads of reliable people here will happily escrow it.

Do you want to do this or not?

Do you want to do this or not?

Lets settle this at the Thunderdome

Lets settle this at the Thunderdome

No need surely, its a friendly enough disagreement to be honest, debated politely.
    Love your poll by the way - is it related to this argument coz just to be clear I'm 100% not arguing that the BDO is better, the PDC is miles ahead on almost everything (prizemoney, presentation, marketing, commentary, prettier wives, brand awareness). My argument is just that there is less difference between the players than is widely perceived. Anyway I'm off to vote for the PDC in your poll, it could be a Mugabesque landslide.
    Good night :)
    any chance of getting back to me about the 50+- 180s bet

Maybe a new thread should be made, maybe called " BDO vs PDC" and maybe with a poll of which organisation is the best, so we can just talk about the Lakeside darts on this thread.

Anyway until that is done here is a fact

An average over 100 in a match at the Circus Tavern in the PDC World Championship was achieved 33 times, compared to only 19 times in the BDO World

And another

The standard is better in the PDC. Adams won the BDO with a 93 3 darts average where as Barney won the PDC with a 104 average!

• Advertisement

Maybe a new thread should be made, maybe called " BDO vs PDC" and maybe with a poll of which organisation is the best, so we can just talk about the Lakeside darts on this thread.

Anyway until that is done here is a fact

An average over 100 in a match at the Circus Tavern in the PDC World Championship was achieved 33 times, compared to only 19 times in the BDO World

And another

The standard is better in the PDC. Adams won the BDO with a 93 3 darts average where as Barney won the PDC with a 104 average!

Already did it

Advertisement