Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeside 2009

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Maybe a new thread should be made, maybe called " BDO vs PDC" and maybe with a poll of which organisation is the best, so we can just talk about the Lakeside darts on this thread.

Anyway until that is done here is a fact

An average over 100 in a match at the Circus Tavern in the PDC World Championship was achieved 33 times, compared to only 19 times in the BDO World

And another

The standard is better in the PDC. Adams won the BDO with a 93 3 darts average where as Barney won the PDC with a 104 average!

Add to that this years averages from some great players and i think 90% of the matches beat adams winning average of 93, i dont remember too many matches being below that standard

Also the good BDO players play well against PDC players and average high, but once they go back to BDO tournaments the average is back on the floor again.

Gary anderson was average nearly 100 in the grand slam, back to BDO the week after and was averaging 75 with less pressure and no camera's, where's the difference you ask

The Opponents

Apart from a few standout players, the BDO standard is WELL below the PDC's and whilst there are capable players, when they face muck, their game is dragged down

On the Adams thing

Adams also had a brief run in the rival Professional Darts Corporation between 1999 and 2001. He played in the revived News of the World Darts Championship in 1997, reaching the semi finals, losing to Phil Taylor who won the event. Adams then claimed the Scania Open in 1999, beating Taylor in the final. He played in the 2000 PDC World Matchplay but lost in the first round. He returned to Blackpool a year later in 2001 and reached the semi finals. He beat Mick Manning, Alan Warriner and Dennis Smith before losing the eventual winner Phil Taylor. He then reached the quarter finals of the 2001 World Grand Prix, beating Peter Manley and Alex Roy before losing to John Lowe. Afterwards he never played in a PDC tournament again.

Adams sparked controversy in 2007 when he refused to compete in the 2007 Grand Slam of Darts, an event organised by the rival Professional Darts Corporation (PDC). Despite fellow BDO players Mark Webster, Phill Nixon, Scott Waites, Gary Anderson, Shaun Greatbatch and Niels De Ruiter taking part Adams turned down his invitation to the event claiming he wanted to stay loyal to the BDO. Critics argued Adams wouldn't have shown any disloyalty to the BDO if he had taken part, unless the BDO were to punish the other BDO players for taking part.

Adams has also declined his invitation to take part in the 2008 Grand Slam of Darts due to a conflict of scheduling, it is widely regarded that the BDO pushed a tournament schedule to conflict and avoid similar controversy as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I think the likes of Fitton, O'Shea, Hankey, Webster and Anderson could join the PDC and threaten the top 16 or 8 very easily... look at Mervyn King and Co Stompe this year. Haved Fitton backed myself this year. I doubt however if O'Shea or Hankey will ever switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Lads, think yez are going away off topic here, think its just meant to be about the BDO, its only been on 1 day, give it a chance. Good to see Anderson through though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Fair play to Greatbatch for turning up for his match having being diagnosed with bone marrow cancer. He got a standing ovation and a guard of honour. Fair play to him and I wish good health and hope he has a speedy recovery

Only darts i seen today was the last 2 sets of Robson and Bunting, for what i seen it looked a decent enough match, robbo had a 98+ average, bunting in the 90s too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

shiibata wrote: »
    Only darts i seen today was the last 2 sets of Robson and Bunting, for what i seen it looked a decent enough match, robbo had a 98+ average, bunting in the 90s too

I take it Robson won??

monkey9 wrote: »
    I take it Robson won??

Ye, 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Hankey was very good today and a very honest assessment of himself in the post match interview admitting that drink was a defining factor in his poor form at last years event.
    I am backing Simon Whitlock for this years title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

ya might be not far wrong with whitlock,he is a cool un rushed player i enjoy watch n him .did not see his draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted to see Brian Woods getting beat. There's no point giving all the talk if you can't back it up. Ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

could be the last time you see whitlock at lakeside, plenty of rumors that he is moving to the PDC. hope he wins if not him o'shea the silver back played well in his opening match against larsson but needs to work on his doubles, Webster and adams will be in the hunt as well as alan norris

Did anybody see the entrance's of Woods and Hankey:eek:
    Disgraceful, ugly, shambolic and really annoying!!!
    Hankey played ok, average about 93, Woods in the late 80's, I expected more from Woods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

unknown13 wrote: »
    Now your comment about PDC 2-11 versus BDO 1-10.

Barney -V- Anderson - Barney easily
    Wade -V- Webster - Wade but will be closer than Barney / Anderson
    Part -V- Adams - Part
    Jenkins -V- Waites - Jenkins
    Lewis -V- Fitton - Fitton
    Hamilton -V- Robson - Hamilton
    Mardle -V- Hankey - Mardle
    Tabern -V- Max -Tabern
    Lloyd -V- O' Shea - Lloyd
    Priestley -V- Montgomery - Priestley

I can see only 1 BDO player winning and maybe Hankey and O' Shea would sneak one but thats it PDC would destroy the BDO any day

Have to dispute some of them,

Barney -V- Anderson - Anderson could take Barney but I'd edge Barney, not easily though. Verdict Barney by a couple of legs(PDC 1 - 0 BDO)

Wade -V- Webster - On the form of the past week Webster could easily beat Wade, Anderson beat Wade not so long ago quite handily. Verdict Webster 1-1

Part -V- Adams - Adams threw a 107 average to win the Masters a few weeks ago, Part gets beaten in the worlds by an American amatuer, not so clear cut. Verdict Adams 1-2

Jenkins -V- Waites - Jenkins - Agreed - 2-2

Lewis -V- Fitton - Fitton - Lewis, Fitton is over rated. 3-2

Hamilton -V- Robson - Hamilton - Hamilton not as reliable as he once looked though. Verdict Hamilton. 4-2

Mardle -V- Hankey - Mardle - Anyone of the top 10 BDO could beat Mardle. Verdict Hankey - 4-3

Tabern -V- Max -Tabern - Agreed 5-3

Lloyd -V- O' Shea - Lloyd - I wouldn't bet on Lloyd to win a one horse race, O'Shea isn't great but Lloyd is a bottler. 5-4

Priestley -V- Montgomery - Priestley. Again More 50/50 then you think. Edge Priestly since he always manages to win when I back against him. PDC 6-4 BDO

Add in Simon Whitlock and I could quite easily see a 5-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Well for TV its about theatre, so they try to spice things up by adding a walk on, music, joviality, crowd singing the song, players shaking hands with the punter, to be honest, it would be a bit dead pan if they just arrived on the stage to "and he's your players, Brian Woods and Ted Hankey" the crowd wouldnt be as involved

Look at the PDC, the mardle walk on gets the crowd up, props are now sold to the crowd to help liven up the walk ons with replica shirts and palm tree's

not only is it extra revenue for the PDC its stuff the crowd want to do, how many people would watch the darts and think "god i wish i was there" if there wasnt as much craic involved with it, i brought 2 mates to citywest just gone and they were not into darts, but they came out the other end of the night saying "Night of the year, cheers for making us come along, skeptical at first, will Deffo go next year"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Lads can you answer this please.

1)Whats the difference between the World Championship on Sky and BBC.
    Is there 2 darts bodies and if so how/why do players change between them.

2)How does the ranking points work if there are the 2 different bodies?

I remember Barney/Mardle/Part were all on the BBC when I was growing up(didnt have SKy) but no there all on the other one.

Just wondering out of interest.

Just after watching Atkins beat Ten Verde 3-2, that Dutch lad must be the fastest player about, cameraman was going around in circles lost at times:D cameraman sure liked his woman, cant blame him there, pity hes out

Looking forward to watching Gurney later, beat me in a tourney last year, never thought would see him at this stage but then thought same of Porter who played in 1st round last year(or was it year before)

Thats what i like about BDO, gives us all a chance to make a world championship, we all can dream on:D

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Lads can you answer this please.

1)Whats the difference between the World Championship on Sky and BBC.
    Is there 2 darts bodies and if so how/why do players change between them.

2)How does the ranking points work if there are the 2 different bodies?

I remember Barney/Mardle/Part were all on the BBC when I was growing up(didnt have SKy) but no there all on the other one.

Just wondering out of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_in_darts
    That might help

Good match between Adams and Chisnall, 2-2 in sets and 3-3 in legs. Good match so far

Good match between Adams and Chisnall, 2-2 in sets and 3-3 in legs. Good match so far

Ye. was good match, Adams lucky enough to scrape through. If Chisnall had broken Adams throw in the 2nd last leg, I would say he would have gone on to win.

2 good matches so far tonight

• Advertisement

Montgomery through easy enough, 3-0 win over Phillips.

Next up Thompson vs Gurney, how is Thompson ranked 14? Never heard of him. C'mon Gurney

1-0 Gurney, playing well, nice little 12 darter in leg 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Do you all remeber that great Irish player Jim McKenna:rolleyes: Young Gurney is a classy player.

:eek:sure has came on since i played him, suppose it brung him on big time:p
    See his partner in crime, Campbell Jackson in crowd too

Carrickman wrote: »
    Do you all remeber that great Irish player Jim McKenna:rolleyes: Young Gurney is a classy player.

I remember Jack McKenna not Jim
    Gurney won easy enough, fair play to him:)

Seen that, I always thought Campbell would have made it as a player before Daryl, well done to the lad anyway played very well for his first time there.

Fair dues to Gurney, sure held his nerve well for 1st time up on stage.
    Suppose, typical Tyrone mentality

He faces Adams in the next round.

I remember Jack McKenna not Jim
    Gurney won easy enough, fair play to him:)

Showed jack mckenna earlier this evening between games when he played paul lim, with lim getting the 9 darter, £52,000 he got:eek: hard to beat the BDO prize money:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

just watch in jack mckenna and paul lim s 9 darter ..

Advertisement