Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Western Australia

Options
  • 07-12-2008 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

I know that Western Australia in particular are looking for teachers.
    So anyone done it/doing it?
    Could you tell me about your experience? Is it 9 months of school yeah? Whats the pay like, the schools? Are they mostly city schools, as thats what I would prefer, or large town.
    Any advice greatly appreciated thanks.
    Kate

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I'd advise you to apply for your teaching licence with dept of education WA before you leave ireland, it can be a messy process, and make sure you have all your docs in order. I worked for them for a couple of months recently, and I noticed a few irish girls applying for teaching licences in WA. There is a demand alright, especially outside of Perth, which is the only real city in WA. There's a huge demand for relief teachers too, and that's generally the type of work that will be offered to WHV people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you have to be a qualified teacher here or just have a degree/masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Qualified teacher. If you only have a degree you either need to do a one year full time course or a two year part time one to become a teacher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

you also need to register with WACOT before the Dept of E will grant you a teaching licence

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

BraziliaNZ, I don't think the OP was meaning a WHV.

DET in WA are sponsoring people for 3 year skilled regional visas. Down side is you can end up an hour from Perth or 10 hours from Perth!
    I'm going in Jan and have ended up in a reasonably well serviced mining town for the first 2 terms, then a busier town down the coast after that.
    Once you've done 2 years, they'll sponsor you for PR and you can go where you like. Because your PR would be state sponsored, you don't need the same kind of money, it's easier etc.
    Vic do the same regional teacher scheme, without the PR on the end.

Sent you a PM about it Kate.

If you were meaning a WHV, then you need to sign up for supply cover with various schools. As you say BraziliaNZ, prior to going you have to register with WACOT, but that's really straight forward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

kittex wrote: »
    BraziliaNZ, I don't think the OP was meaning a WHV.

DET in WA are sponsoring people for 3 year skilled regional visas. Down side is you can end up an hour from Perth or 10 hours from Perth!
    I'm going in Jan and have ended up in a reasonably well serviced mining town for the first 2 terms, then a busier town down the coast after that.
    Once you've done 2 years, they'll sponsor you for PR and you can go where you like. Because your PR would be state sponsored, you don't need the same kind of money, it's easier etc.
    Vic do the same regional teacher scheme, without the PR on the end.

Sent you a PM about it Kate.

If you were meaning a WHV, then you need to sign up for supply cover with various schools. As you say BraziliaNZ, prior to going you have to register with WACOT, but that's really straight forward.

I got your Pm Kittex, thanks a million, I just haven't had the time to reply yet, you know what the PG year is like! Barely have time to breathe. Whats a WHV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Working Holiday Visa.
    The standard 12 month visa that people get before coming over...very easy and straight forward to get.

Advertisement