Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hornby train set - where to buy (Dublin area)

Options
  • 07-12-2008 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum but seems to match.....

Does anyone know where the best place is to buy a Hornby train set in Dublin area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

don't know dublin but try marks models or graham toymaster.good luck and should be allowed on this forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In Dublin for model railway ....

The toyshops Marks Models, Toymaster, and maybe Argos do Hornby, it's made in India nowadays, the toyshops have no backup, but Marks do have parts.

The hobby and model shops do German train sets:

The Model Centre does Bachmann, made in Germany and China. They get parts to order and have some in stock.

Green Hobby & Model does TT sets, made in Germany. www.greenhobbymodel.com stock parts.

Gunn does Marklin, and has parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CharlieBrown

I bought a great little Hornby set in Bambi toys(I Think) at the corner on the top of Henry st. 90 euro.

Good selection of Hornby upstairs down the back and you can buy all the extra's, extend the track etc.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

No better place then Hamleys, i would imagine Hornby train sets are one of their specialties. (Hamleys is in the Dundrum town centre in case you didnt know)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

whats it for if you don't mind my asking. IMO Bachmann and Heljan offer far more realistic and detailed models than Hornby.

So if it's collecting/adult go with them or if more for kids go hornby.

I especially don't like the massive couplings hornby use, they look silly and really take away from the overall look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Talk to Seamus at www.grahamstoymaster.ie - He is a modeller himself, and the shop provides a huge range of services, and stocks / services Hornby and Bachmann (and others). Afaik, they are the main service centre for Hornby in Ireland also.

hear, hear. Seamus there is an absolute expert, possionate about it himself, and always on hand for advice and help. I've done half my holiday shopping there :)

like all the irish store though they are hugely over priced.

try ehattons.com or railsofsheffiled.com, much cheaper even with the conversion and postage

Dont agree with you on the pricing.

As an example I compared the bachmann dynamis digital set at themodelshop.ie and ehattons. At today's exchange rate the price us identical.

Factor in the personal attention and discounts for return business and I know who I'm supporting!

• Advertisement

Bachmann class 141/181 No. 142

Marks Models €110
    Modelfair: £70 = ~€80 plus 8 delivery

Ignoring the fact that's a special offer at modelfair, the cost is around €83 shipped v's €99 at themodelshop.ie

for the sake of 15 euro, I'd still rather support local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Maverick88

Hornby stuff is made in China, not India. Its made in the same factory as Bachmann products.

Ignoring the fact that's a special offer at modelfair, the cost is around €83 shipped v's €99 at themodelshop.ie

for the sake of 15 euro, I'd still rather support local shops.

why ignore thats its a special offer. was 69.90 in Rails before went out of stock too. Bought 6 cravens on rails, £35 vs €50 per carriage:eek::eek:

why ignore thats its a special offer. was 69.90 in Rails before went out of stock too. Bought 6 cravens on rails, £35 vs €50 per carriage:eek::eek:

having said this I got my hands on the 3 new Cravens from Marks the other day, for the 3 there was only about €8-10 difference than buying on Rails or Hattons so wasn't worth the bother.

Now when the new MkIId's come out it'll definitly be a case of wherever is the absolute cheapest bargin for them cos there'll be so many.
    So far I've heard 6 carriages X 4 liveries each X €50 or so = 1200 :eek::eek::eek:

I think you're right on the 1200, but that includes EGV' and all!!! Can't wait!!! :)

I think you're right on the 1200, but that includes EGV' and all!!! Can't wait!!! :)

Plus they 121's. All should appear mid/late next year I'd imagine.
    i can't wait, my wallet can though :D

May have to off load some of my non Irish stuff to justify the expense

I know :)

Anyone buying the blue/yellow BR 37's now? Anyone? Goin cheap :):)

I know :)

Anyone buying the blue/yellow BR 37's now? Anyone? Goin cheap :):)

seem to be hijacking this thread a bit but how and ever.

I was lucky enough to get my hands on B181 today, Murphy models black with white stripe loco. Another one off the list :)

And 187 off ebay yesterday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭roadtripman

you should check out ebay for your train set, some good value to be had

Advertisement